James Tavernier Hall of Fame?

If we are taking the concept of a 'Hall of Fame' being a serious thing with 'legends' filling it, then absolutely not.

For him to be added it would be purely because he is the captain of the team that wins 55.

That suggests the role of captain is important (something which some people on here usually argue it isn't).

If it is that important then he has been an abject failure as a captain so far
(not player).

On the pitch he has captained us during some of our most embarrassing defeats. Off the field things like his words in the programme last season or not facing the camera against Progres are pathetic.

As mentioned some people will say the role of captain is not important. In Scotland (and the UK) in my opinion it is. During our successes we have always had excellent leaders. Tav is clearly not a leader or anywhere near some of our legendary captains.

If we win the league this year it won't be because Tav is captain, it will be because we have the best team.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts on this with bottling the Cup final penalty jumping out too.

Trevor Steven played a massive part in 9IAR and yet isn't in the HOF. Always thought that was strange considering some of the others who are.

Absolutely not.
In the pantheon of greats that this club has had over its glorious and illustrious history, you really need to ask yourself the question. Does james tavernier deserve to be amongst some of these greats on a hall of fame? Is he in amongst legends and is he of the same calibre of player and man?
the answer is an emphatic no for me.
He’s not even in the same class or calibre as these captains, and I include Barry ferguson in that bracket even though he shouldn’t really be there either as he wasn’t a great captain, he got away with it with some quality players around him.

not a chance for me.

Edit: I take my comments back about ferguson. I have a personal dislike for him, but that shouldn’t mean he wasn’t a great captain. He won titles and dragged us through games and won matches. He deserves to be there, I just didn’t want him as captain personally, but thank Christ I don’t have the responsibility in picking who does that job or we would be fucked!!

Edit: Tav will end up in the hall of fame and rightly so for lifting this title and his performances this season, and that’s maybe changed my opinion slightly on him because I’ve seen how influential he is on and off the pitch. That’s changed it for me. My initial post was poorly thought out and just daft.

Last edited:
Absolutely not.
In the pantheon of greats that this club has had over its glorious and illustrious history, you really need to ask yourself the question. Does james tavernier deserve to be amongst some of these greats on a hall of fame? Is he in amongst legends and is he of the same calibre of player and man?
He’s not even in the same class or calibre as these captains, and I include Barry ferguson in that bracket even though he shouldn’t really be there either as he wasn’t a great captain, he got away with it with some quality players around him.

not a chance for me.

Barry Ferguson wasn't a great captain?

Really?

Fed up reading "if we win the title" on here over the last 4 years to be honest. Utterly pointless discussion.

i think so as he would go down in history as the captain who stopped them reaching 9 2/3 in a row.
If he he leads us to 55 this year i will commission a statue of him to be built in my back garden and also get his face tattooed on my chest.
Take note to remember this. :)

If we win the title this year does that put James Tavernier in the hall of fame contention? Has been a tremendous player for us, can sometimes divide opinion but you can't argue with his stats.
Being the captain to lead us to 55 after all we have been through for me would elevate him into our hall of fame without question.
Would like to know if others feel the same, knowing that he can divide opinion.
No

F.u.cking hell :D

No, but I’d give him a prize for ‘good attendance’. :D
Speaking of which, at 5 years into his Rangers career and 28 years old, do we think he’ll still be here in another 5 and due a testimonial match?!
Who was the last player we had that got one?

Barry Ferguson wasn't a great captain?

Really?
No, I don’t think he was. He was a good player, but the difference is he had a lot of captain type players around him. Leaders, men, battlers. Ferguson wore the armband.
I remember when he got it and folk were going mental because he didn’t deserve it at the time, he was too young and too much of a hothead. Him getting the armband calmed him down and certainly improved his play, as well as advocaat a coaching of course, but would I say he was a “great” captain? No I wouldn’t. Decent, yes.

That’s my own opinion and I know others will differ, I’ll stick by mines.
Tavernier shouldnt even be muttered in the same breath as the great captains we’ve had.

The hall of fame is a farce anyway when you see some of the names in it.
Commercial enterprise dreamt up at a time when Football was booming. Big name players, international signings etc
It was another excuse for a Dinner and in effect. fundraising event. The problem is you run out of credible names or put people in it that we’re only with us for a couple of seasons.

i think so as he would go down in history as the captain who stopped them reaching 9 2/3 in a row.
If he he leads us to 55 this year i will commission a statue of him to be built in my back garden and also get his face tattooed on my chest.
I will be waiting to see the photos of both of these

If we win the league this year, going forward this squad will be the next generations 9iar squad.

The way we wax lyrical about Brown, McCall, McLaren, even Alex Cleland :) !!! will be the way this generation will talk about Jack, Goldson etc.

Memory clouds judgement and the frailties of this squad will long be forgotten if we win the league.

Not got a problem with it really, but the key thing is, it wouldn't be straight away anyway.

So if post retirement he's lead us to 55, another few league titles and been with us another 5 years, yeah HoF seems fine.

If he wins 55, then fucks off to Leeds or West Brom, then no, not for me.

I have my doubts as to whether we will ever win silverware with him as captain.

For that reason alone I am saying what the hell, if he can win the league this season then stick him in!!

If we win the title yes he should be,

Not his biggest fan as a captain but he’s been a good player for us despite his lapses, He’s had far more good games than bad ones.

If it was a genuine HOF reserved for the best of the best, generational talents who transcended the game then no, but if you look at some of the names already in it and their careers, he's already a contender.

That's more a comment on the lack of exclusivity in the HOF than Tav though. The club view it as so unimportant it doesn't even get a listing on the club website. I couldn't even find an up to date listing to verify some of the names of assorted squad players and decent servants that are in the HOF.

On a general point, I'm not sure if team honours correlate with an individual player's ability and "worthiness". If Rangers were behind in the league by a point and in the last minute of the season Scott Brown knocked a ball into his own net and we won the league would it really make Tav a better player because something happened in a game he didn't even play in?

Of the current team only McGregor and Davis are more worthy and that dates back to their first stint. The first Rangers post-spiv Championship winning team is going to be deservedly well-remembered and if it happens Tav is likely to be the most deserving of the squad in terms of contribution. It's a no-brainer he'll be in the HOF and if that upsets some of the haters on here - bonus

Absolutely not.

not a chance for me.
The Pantheon of Greats such as Lee McCulloch? Your post is a load of shit.

I'll counter that. Put it this way

Drop a prime Ferguson in our team now and slap that armband on him. Playing with lesser quality players than what he did in his successful teams.

He would lead us to the league this year he is everything we need and everything we lack. A born winner doesn't accept second best and ridiculous ability.

He was an outstanding captain!

(In reply to paulski)

The Pantheon of Greats such as Lee McCulloch? Your post is a load of shit.
I’ll exclude lee mcculloch from that list as well.

And it’s not a load of shit. That was my opinion, and I stand by it. What’s your input? Oh, if he wins the title then he’s a great? %^*& off.
The guys been in more embarrassing situations that good ones. He shouldn’t be near the armband never mind a hall of fame, but you jump in and talk about lee mcculloch.

Drop a prime Ferguson in our team now and slap that armband on him. Playing with lesser quality players than what he did in his successful teams.

He would lead us to the league this year he is everything we need and everything we lack. A born winner doesn't accept second best and ridiculous ability.

(In reply to paulski)
People let their opinion of Barry as a person cloud their memory of him as a player.

I’ll exclude lee mcculloch from that list as well.

And it’s not a load of shit. That was my opinion, and I stand by it. What’s your input? Oh, if he wins the title then he’s a great? %^*& off.
The guys been in more embarrassing situations that good ones. He shouldn’t be near the armband never mind a hall of fame, but you jump in and talk about lee mcculloch.
Fucking madness to bring up the most recent entry to the Hall of Fame in a discussion about the Hall of Fame, wasn’t it?

It was more the Ferguson nonsense that I was calling a load of shit.

If we win the title this year does that put James Tavernier in the hall of fame contention? Has been a tremendous player for us, can sometimes divide opinion but you can't argue with his stats.
Being the captain to lead us to 55 after all we have been through for me would elevate him into our hall of fame without question.
Would like to know if others feel the same, knowing that he can divide opinion.

Yes. Without question. And it would be well deserved.

He should have made it last season but he and his teammates screwed their own chances. He's been handed a get out of jail card with Covid meaning the league wasn't actually lost and he's been handed another go at it. Last chance for him this year (in my book).

I say all of this as a big Tav fan.

Last edited:
You have folk saying Barry Ferguson wasn’t a great captain, opinions and all that but that merit’s sectioning. That’s the nonsensical patter the tim I play football with says. 2002 Scottish Cup Final, go watch Barry Ferguson drag us to sliverware.

Last edited:

(In reply to paulski)
I’ll give you that when you say a born winner won’t accept second best, I wouldn’t say ferguson was a born winner. Decent captain, good player. I wouldn’t say outstanding captain, but that’s your opinion and I’ll respect that. Not going to dig out his achievements, we all celebrated them but when it comes to adding tavernier into that kind of mix is just ridiculous. Not for me.

You have folk saying Barry Ferguson wasn’t a great captain, opinions and all that was that merit’s sectioning. 2002 Scottish Cup Final, go watch Barry Ferguson drag us to sliverware.
Ferguson was one of the best captains we've had in the last 40 years, which is nearly a third of our entire history.

Sometimes think the 9IAR generation are so spoiled and entitled that they try to measure everything against an unprecedented period of success for us, which results in them seeing absolutely everything as "not good enough"

Ferguson was one of the best captains we've had in the last 40 years, which is nearly a third of our entire history.

Sometimes think the 9IAR generation are so spoiled and entitled that they try to measure everything against an unprecedented period of success for us, which results in them seeing absolutely everything as "not good enough"
I agree completely with everything you’ve said, an unprecedented period of success where we were embarrassed across the continent repeatedly also :))

For fucksake Tav!
I'm not sure we have a player who gets that type of response as regularly.
On that basis, Hall of Fame, no.

No, Hall of Fames are not stupid.
They are a brilliant way of recording our history, our great players and, maybe, our players who have done great in other areas of life.
What we have allowed the HoF to become, has diminished, belittled, maybe even defamed, the whole ideal.
Every Hall of Fame in every sport is stupid, because there's no set rules on how to define who is worthy for entry. And it's impossible to set rules, because each entry needs context to truly determine their case. As time goes on, that context is harder and harder to discern.

The best way to record our history is a museum.

Big season for him personally. I suspect it will be his last no matter the outcome. In five years he hasn’t won / captained us to a major trophy. I don’t think many other Rangers captains will have been given that much leeway. However if we win the league this season then he’ll be viewed as a legend in many quarters.
Even his biggest critics cannot hold the Warburton or Caixinha/Murty, maybe even Gerrard’s first season against him.

Back