James Tavernier Hall of Fame?

Only Steven Davis and Alan McGregor from the current squad should be considered at this point in time
Wrong.
Although you are right about Davis and McGregor.
However here is why you are wrong about Tav.

The weight of historical context is of tsunami proportions this season.
Tavernier is the general in the field on the brink of a victory that is a defining moment in the story of this football club.
He is already a Rangers great because the avalanche of reasons that say so has already overwhelmed any debate.

James Tavernier is now a milestone in the journey of this club.
If Gerrard is Churchill then Tav is his Monty.
The war has been won it has been years of struggle now it is time to shower the heroes with the accolades they deserve.

By God they deserve them indeed.

Eh you do realise Tavernier played in the same team as Lee Wallace o_O

If you read what I posted, Gerrard will have achieved more in a shorter space of time. Tavernier was part of the team that Celtic took something like 15 goals off in 3 games, that got put out of Europe by part timers. He’s been a perennial loser at Rangers and, for me, winning a league at the 5/6th time of asking under his 4th manager, including Murty, nah he wouldn’t be getting my vote for Hall of Fame
As a single player I would agree with you but imo those who contributed to the 55th title deserve to be put in the hall of fame own special place in our history given the significance of the title and what it has taken to complete our journey back to where we belong!

I was a long time critic of his and I’m happy to be eating my words.

Without a doubt he will be remembered as a Rangers legend.

If you read what I posted, Gerrard will have achieved more in a shorter space of time. Tavernier was part of the team that Celtic took something like 15 goals off in 3 games, that got put out of Europe by part timers. He’s been a perennial loser at Rangers and, for me, winning a league at the 5/6th time of asking under his 4th manager, including Murty, nah he wouldn’t be getting my vote for Hall of Fame
I have absolutely no idea why nobody has really jumped down your throat for this but this has got to be the biggest load of absolute drivel I have ever clapped my eyes on in here... and that really is some going.

Wrong.
Although you are right about Davis and McGregor.
However here is why you are wrong about Tav.

The weight of historical context is of tsunami proportions this season.
Tavernier is the general in the field on the brink of a victory that is a defining moment in the story of this football club.
He is already a Rangers great because the avalanche of reasons that say so has already overwhelmed any debate.

James Tavernier is now a milestone in the journey of this club.
If Gerrard is Churchill then Tav is his Monty.
The war has been won it has been years of struggle now it is time to shower the heroes with the accolades they deserve.

By God they deserve them indeed.
Well said Bilko I personally believe our return should be marked with all those who contributed to winning the 55th title this year should earn their place collectively in the hall of fame. This is a special title in many ways and a special squad who are about to deliver!

I can't believe that a bluenose has posted this absolute nonsense about a Rangers captain. If you're a bluenose then you should be ashamed of yourself tbh

Some horrific takes on this thread.

Even without the benefit of hindsight, some of the flack Tavernier has got has always been way over the top. He seems like a top pro and a class act.

I'm glad humble pie is being served up.

Sorry mate but you don't understand the word journey.
You fail to grasp the idea of setbacks in a journey.
You also seem incapable of lauding persistence in overcoming setbacks.
But worse of all you support a Scottish team and it would seem you were never taught about Robert The Bruce, which is odd.
Well Tav is that spider and the lesson of history resonates today just as much as it did in that cave.
Tav has won and this war is over, now it is time to hand out the honours. B-D

Last edited:

I know your post is from August but an attitude like this just isn't fair at all.

Players need to be given a chance to improve and realise their potential.

James Tavernier is a perfect example of this.
We signed the guy from Wigan (where he was on loan to League One Bristol City) for 200k.
Six seasons later he's led us in an undefeated European campaign (so far) AND we are about to win the biggest title probably in our history that we almost certainly would NOT be winning without his considerable contributions.

What is wrong with us that we can't give our own some time and space and support.

I hate this expectation that Rangers should be signing "winners" as if football is full of guys who have "won things" and those guys are cheap and easy to sign. It's not realistic at all.

Here is where we are at as a club. We sign players that we can afford, that will do a job for us, that can be sold on for a decent fee. That means the lads we will bring in will be inconsistent, inexperienced and often frustrating to watch. You know what though? Maybe we should just support our players instead of coming up with crap like "perennial loser" to describe them. Did you get that one from Chris Sutton?

Tavernier is a hall of famer. Coming to the club when he was 23 and we were still in the championship and rising to the position he is in today, who could argue with that?

A lot of Rangers legends, especially from the 1990s to 2012, were signed as already established players for decent amounts of money. Some, like Fernando and big Amo, may have had to work some to win over supporters before confirming their status.

I don't think, in terms of the football aspect, we've had too many who had to climb as much as Tav to reach the top of the mountain but there he is.

Last edited:
I know your post is from August but an attitude like this just isn't fair at all.

We signed the guy from Wigan (where he was on loan to League One Bristol City) for 200k.
Six seasons later he's led us in an undefeated European campaign (so far) AND we are about to win the biggest title probably in our history that we almost certainly would NOT be winning without his considerable contributions.

What is wrong with us that we can't give our own some time and space and support.

I hate this expectation that Rangers should be signing "winners" as if football is full of guys who have "won things" and those guys are cheap and easy to sign. It's not realistic at all.

Here is where we are at as a club. We sign players that we can afford, that will do a job for us, that can be sold on for a decent fee. That means the lads we will bring in will be inconsistent, inexperienced and often frustrating to watch. You know what though? Maybe we should just support our players instead of coming up with crap like "perennial loser" to describe them. Did you get that one from Chris Sutton?

Tavernier is a hall of famer. Coming to the club when he was 23 and we were still in the championship and rising to the position he is in today, who could argue with that?
Great post.
Tav has indeed been a huge part of our journey and all of the heartache along the way.
In some ways like the support he will understand this season more than most other players.
He has felt the lows first hand and carries the emotional wounds like those in the Ibrox Stands.
Who better or more qualified to lift that trophy... indeed who more deserving?

Are we discussing the same player?
No goals and no assists?
Sorry, I’d rather you didn’t reply as I cannot be bothered with crap like this.
So, reply if you want but that’ll be the end of it.
There is no doubt his performance has improved massively. However he still lacks concentration and positional awareness.

Tavernier is a genuine Rangers icon and will go down as one of the most legendary captains we've had.

Posts from the OP timeline should be forgotten.

Different place now, lets just concentrate on celebrating each and every one that has brought us to where we are.

A lot of Rangers legends, especially from the 1990s to 2012, were signed as already established players for decent amounts of money. Some, like Fernando and big Amo, may have had to work some to win over supporters before confirming their status.

I don't think, in terms of the football aspect, we've had too many who had to climb as much as Tav to reach the top of the mountain but there he is.
Outstanding post.

If you go for H o F type things, as the captain of the team no stopped the 8 and a bit, then probably yes. I still have questions over his defending though

Definitely. In the earlier years, with the pumpings off Celtic and the Scottish cup final loss, He could have easily chucked it and moved on but didn’t. He got made captain, rolled his sleeves up and improved massively on the pitch as a player and a captain. This title will mean just as much to him as it does us fans.

10 years from now, Tav comes back to Ibrox at half time introduced as a club legend.

You will absolutely hear the one of the biggest roars you've ever heard. I hope he becomes a good manager and leads us from the bench one day as well. The absolute epitome of a professional and we should all be proud of him.

You’d probably still get folk moaning about his his positioning in relation to the microphone

Some really odd takes on Tav over the years. Will
Be delighted for him if all goes well this weekend.

I'm a huge fan of Tavernier, and highlighted how good he is time and again over the last few years, but HoF after one title? No; to be a club legend he would need to play a similar role over a period, and bring greater success.

Some horrific takes on this thread.

Even without the benefit of hindsight, some of the flack Tavernier has got has always been way over the top. He seems like a top pro and a class act.

I'm glad humble pie is being served up.

I completely agree with all that.

But I also wouldn’t put him down as an “all time Rangers great” just because he’s going to captain us to the title.

That isn’t to say he won’t be when we look back in a decade or two....but suddenly elevating him to a Rangers great. No, not yet. I’m afraid not.

Although as others have alluded to, the Hall of Fame concept is largely pointless now anyway, it’s long since been saturated.

I think when you consider the squad when Tav joined ,it highlights the journey the team and we as a support endured.
Tav has been through all the same ups and downs as us over his five years.
At times I thought he had exceeded his level when we first returned to the top flight and questioned if he had a winning mentality.
Our captain has simply upped his level ,risen to these challenges and fully deserves the accolades he is getting now.
He stuck by us and has been instrumental in dragging our club out of the banter years to the verge of champions.
As a support we all feel the pride and excitement building now,from a personal point of view we can only imagine what James Tavenier's sense of achievement is.

This is one thread where I am absolutely delighted to eat my words. To be fair, the criticism at the time for Tav was warranted, and yes, he was lucky to still be here after winning nothing for as long as he did.

But with that said, the mark of a true Ranger is one that gets his head down and works even harder on his game, ignores all the noise and delivers where it matters most.

Tav is now on the cusp of greatness and more power to the man, for all he's been through in his time here no player deserves it more.

Not bothered about bumping this one.

Forget all the previous replies, people were frustrated, but it deserves a discussion.

In my mind, Tav 100% walks into the HOF.

Seen a post showing he's the only player who is still with us from the team that got humped 5 nil by the scum at Sharkheid. The fact he's been with us from the Championship and has gone from that to a team that initially was far off the pace in the SPL to a title winning team who are also flying in Europe shows that he deserves it for me imo. He's now in a strong team and he is arguably our best player, certainly among the top 3 or 4. He's gone up the levels in terms of performances as the team has improved. I actually feel sorry for him for some of the pelters he's taken at times over the years as he was left exposed by team mates who just weren't up to it.

Yeah, I'd put him in. Even if it was a more legit HoF as opposed to the farce we have now.

He's symbolic. (I assume) He's the only man who has won a lower leage and Premier League title with the same team in Scotland. And he did it as a key component of both sides. I wouldn't put anyone else in from the current crop though apart from McGregor and Davis. The rest need to do a lot more first. Tav would go in almost as a representative for this whole era.

On a side note, am I right in thinking David Weir was the last player to be entered into the HOF? Or am I missing some?

Some of the posts at the start of this thread are downright disgusting. Some of the posts are verging on hatred, for a guy who has given his all for this club.

I hope some of the posters are completely embarrassed with the things they've spouted.

Some of the posts at the start of this thread are downright disgusting. Some of the posts are verging on hatred, for a guy who has given his all for this club.

I hope some of the posters are completely embarrassed with the things they've spouted.
I agree 100%, I know a couple of prominent Rangers supporters who have given him dreadful grief in the past, and even now won’t admit they were wrong, they seem to wait for any error to say “told you so”.

If you go for H o F type things, as the captain of the team no stopped the 8 and a bit, then probably yes. I still have questions over his defending though
The defence has broken records this season. His stats going forward have been incredible as well.
You really couldn't ask for any better this year. You must be a hard man to please!

Regarding Tav, it's not just about the contribution he has made this season, it's about what he has been part of in getting us to this stage. He's been with us for 6 years, each year getting better and each year helping drive us forward.

He had the misfortune to work under managers who did not know how to use his strengths and abilities, managers who had no "Plan B". That's not his fault. He's played with some team mates who have not been of the quality that we needed. That's not his fault.

Davis and McGregor and Steve Davis are Rangers legends based on what they have done both spells at the club, but Tav is HOF material based on the role he has played in getting us where we are.

Yes, yes and fuking yes. He will be the captain of the team that has won our first title in 10 years. He's acted like a Rangers captain, he's lead like a Rangers captain.

Captain of the team who won us 55.

Signed for £200k and took us back to the top flight. Dealt with the teams struggles against them in the first few years back.

Part of a new iron curtain defence this year and our European adventures.

284 appearances
152 direct goal involvements
(63 goals, 89 assists)

...from Right Back...

Yes he goes into the HOF.

Back