James Tavernier - our longest serving captain since Richard Gough

It was a sweetener to get him to stay was it not ?

Super Ally captained us a few times
Captained Scotland at least once too on his 50th cap v Australia. Not sure if he did other times. I think that was a Craig Brown thing giving captaincy to players on their 50th appearance.

I think it might be a good thing. I was saying to my mate the other day that particularly Borna could benefit from not bombing up and down constantly and just going when it’s appropriate could reduce the strain on his body as he’s clearly been struggling a bit this season.

Tavs a unit though, but neither of them are getting any younger and are both considered post peak now
Post peak, says who??

Reactions: GF7
It was definitely a bike accident he had one time but I'm sure that was pre-season 06/07?
You're right mate his final season when Klos, Prso and Gavin Rae came out last home game? After th first injury he never really recovered did he.

Sounds like hindsight but it isn’t. I remember saying in his first season that he could end up being our best right back since Gary Stevens. I think that’s true. He’s been fantastic. As others have said his defending has improved an awful lot, although he’s clearly not the attacking threat he was.

Gavin Rae and Craig Paterson on that list is fucking hilarious :)):))
Gavin Rae was the one that stood out to me. Don't even remember him being a regular first choice, never mind being captain.

Wasn't a terrible player. Remember a European game where Ketsbiah was running the game for the first 45 mins. 2nd half Rae was clearly told to man mark him and completely shut him out of the game.

Fairly sure Bocanegra was appointed captain in 2012 but not for long as he left after a handful of games.

And Rae was given the captaincy after Ferguson was stripped of it by Le Guen I'm sure.

To the point of the thread though, terrific acheivement for Tavernier. Lesser men than him would have wanted out after the criticism he had (some justified and some not imo) but he stayed and should (hopefully :))) captain us to back to back titles.

Gavin Rae was the one that stood out to me. Don't even remember him being a regular first choice, never mind being captain.

Wasn't a terrible player. Remember a European game where Ketsbiah was running the game for the first 45 mins. 2nd half Rae was clearly told to man mark him and completely shut him out of the game.

PLG made him captain when he told Barry to %^*& off. I think he only lasted the 1 game as Captain.

In his second spell as captain, Ferguson captained us to two trophies. The League Cup and Scottish Cup in 07/08. Other notable achievement was reaching the Uefa Cup as captain the same year.

Won more trophies in his first spell as captain.
Not comparable though.

Barry Ferguson is a daft wee ned. Being a Rangers fan and a greeting faced wee bastard doesn't make you a good leader.
I wouldn't disagree, however, he is more a captain of the team than Tavernier will ever be

I’d rather Ferguson any day of the week. Far superior player and a better leader. His medal haul and performances in Europe are proof of that.
Better leader? Aye getting stripped of the captaincy twice shows real leadership.

Would have to disagree, players can play well into their 30,s.Fitness levels are much better and so are diets etc.
You can disagree if you like, it’s a standard model based on average age that someone peaks using a hell of a lot more data than you or I will ever have access to

Also, it doesn’t imply that they can’t play into their thirties, it implies they’re unlikely to get any better physically and they need to start looking after their bodies more

Really? How much and when?
You said no one values him.
“There have been calls about Tav with clubs interested and I’m sure there still is.
“Whenever a transfer window opens, there’s interest in Tav. He has been so consistent and, for me as a manager, he has been there for every game and every training session.

West Brom bid for him.

Captained Scotland at least once too on his 50th cap v Australia. Not sure if he did other times. I think that was a Craig Brown thing giving captaincy to players on their 50th appearance.
Actually quite a good idea. Certainly for internationals, anyone who gets to 50 caps must have a bit of respect around the squad. Not so sure if it works at club level even for 100 apps

He was injured on his debut v Celtic and every time he seemed to come back he got injured again.

There really is some mince being talked on this thread about Tavernier as a Captain and particularly comparing him to Barry Ferguson.

Completely pointless even starting any comparison with the likes of Richard Gough for that matter.

Frankly, Tavernier is the worst Rangers Captain since Craig Paterson in the early 1980’s and in fact he is never Captain material in a million years.

He is excellent on the overlap and his delivery is second to none but he is a liability as a defender too. Two weeks ago Tavernier was at fault for two of the three goals against Hibs which he was likewise 5 and a half years previously in 2016 in the Scottish Cup Final.

The next match against Sparta Prague they played poorly but still missed two sitters at which Tavernier was again at fault. This is time and time again he is at fault and gets away very lightly with our support because of his forward qualities.

Very simply he cannot defend and is not a leader.

In addition, if we had Ferguson in our team now then we wouldn’t be struggling against the likes of Hibs at Easter Road and others that get in our faces.

Not what some want to hear but it is fact.

“There have been calls about Tav with clubs interested and I’m sure there still is.
“Whenever a transfer window opens, there’s interest in Tav. He has been so consistent and, for me as a manager, he has been there for every game and every training session.

West Brom bid for him.
West Brom? How much? Bottom line is his defensive attributes are shocking. He is not inspirational captain material

West Brom bid for him.
In your dreams. No one wants him. There is no doubt he has attacking attributes. However defensively he is off the pace and so prone to catastrophe its not true

You can disagree if you like, it’s a standard model based on average age that someone peaks using a hell of a lot more data than you or I will ever have access to

Also, it doesn’t imply that they can’t play into their thirties, it implies they’re unlikely to get any better physically and they need to start looking after their bodies more
Might not get better physically, I get that!! As you get older your experience increases, your positional play gets better, your first touch and passing should get better.Any decent player lets the ball do the running.It’s too easy for people to generalise.

For that to be the case he needs to lift more silverware. 1 trophy out of god knows how many since he’s been here isn’t enough
As captain he won one league in his first 3 years.

The folk who use that as a stick to beat him with should remember (or learn) that John Greig won one cup in his first 6 and it took him 10 goes to win a league. It wasn't lack of leadership that was the problem in either case.

Interested to see how this new role goes for him. Obvious he and Borna been told to hang back more to cover was particularly noticeable Wednesday night.
He is a much better defender nowadays than a few years ago even if some can't admit that.
I think it’s more a case of when one goes the other stays etc

There really is some mince being talked on this thread about Tavernier as a Captain and particularly comparing him to Barry Ferguson.

Completely pointless even starting any comparison with the likes of Richard Gough for that matter.

Frankly, Tavernier is the worst Rangers Captain since Craig Paterson in the early 1980’s and in fact he is never Captain material in a million years.

He is excellent on the overlap and his delivery is second to none but he is a liability as a defender too. Two weeks ago Tavernier was at fault for two of the three goals against Hibs which he was likewise 5 and a half years previously in 2016 in the Scottish Cup Final.

The next match against Sparta Prague they played poorly but still missed two sitters at which Tavernier was again at fault. This is time and time again he is at fault and gets away very lightly with our support because of his forward qualities.

In addition, if we had Ferguson in our team now then we wouldn’t be struggling against the likes of Hibs at Easter Road and others that get in our faces.

I can remember a few teams involving Ferguson being turned over 3-0 by Hibs at home.

History will be very kind to Tav...we have all been guilty in the moment of being critical with many of our greats but time will tell and does tell a better story for many. I remember how frustrating big Amo was but f#@k I love the big fella.
Ammo is off and running with the ball oh oh this could be genius or a disaster:D I loved him though and great defender.

Ferguson played in a very different team with players regularly getting bought for millions and names like De Boer alongside him. Tav has come out of our toughest period and some of the worst supporting acts playing along side him in our history. Tav and shown character and resilience and never hidden or thrown his toys out of his pram. We got to understand where we have come from and who has played a big part in dragging us to where we are at when the playing field - financial and playing wise is very different.

Tav has learned what a true Rangers leader behaves like. This period cannot be judged purely on results. We have come from footballing hell and he has led us out of it. The greatest example of what a professional should be.

Fergie had riches handed to him and I am not dissing his role either. Just respect the journey and the man. Tav our Captain our leader!

Say what you want about his defending, his loyalty in this day and age has to be respected.

You have to fancy him to overtake the tenure of Terry Butcher too.

"Say what you want to about his defending". Despite what you read on here, he is both the best attacking and defensive fullback in the league by the length of the Great wall of China.

Last edited:
Back