James Tavernier was a disgrace for a captain today

Funny that people always said Dani Alves and Marcelo can't defend...

Well since it's not the 80s anymore, full backs are expected to be attackers just as much as defenders. Kyle Walker actually said on Soccer AM his main job is to attack.

Now if we had players who knew how to play as defensive midfielders this wouldn't be an issue as the full backs would always have cover.

I used to watch an overlapping right back in the 70's. He used to bomb on at every opportunity, made a lot of goals and scored a right good few as well. It's not a new thing, having attacking full backs, Pep didn't invent it you know.

The difference with the player I'm talking about was that as well as his great attacking abilities he was one of the best defenders I've ever been lucky enough to see wearing a Rangers jersey.

His name was Sandy Jardine, a proper right back. It saddens me so much to see how far we've fallen that supporters are trying to justify a passenger like Tavernier.

I like Tav. I think he's a good player. But, he was absolutely honking today.

Andy Halliday had a better game than him - and he isn't a full back.

Posted missing at a couple of the goals.

Turned 70-30s in his favour to 60-40's against.

I used to watch an overlapping right back in the 70's. He used to bomb on at every opportunity, made a lot of goals and scored a right good few as well. It's not a new thing, having attacking full backs, Pep didn't invent it you know.

The difference with the player I'm talking about was that as well as his great attacking abilities he was one of the best defenders I've ever been lucky enough to see wearing a Rangers jersey.

His name was Sandy Jardine, a proper right back. It saddens me so much to see how far we've fallen that supporters are trying to justify a passenger like Tavernier.

Right and you need to stop living in the past then.

We've also seen Gazza and Laudrup but it's not fair to compare them with Holt and Halliday is it?

Been very poor since his contract renewal.

To counter that, he’s shown how good he can be. November to Feb/March he was arguably our best player. A manager that can get that out of him for a full season will leave us with a serious asset. If that’s possible.

Right and you need to stop living in the past then.

We've also seen Gazza and Laudrup but it's not fair to compare them with Holt and Halliday is it?

I would take Sandy Jardine ahead of Tav, then or now or both. Tav is not even close to being in the same category, either going forward or defending.
If you are trying to say that Tav is playing in a more difficult and complicated role than Jardine did, then we are on different wavelengths.

I would take Sandy Jardine ahead of Tav, then or now or both. Tav is not even close to being in the same category, either going forward or defending.
If you are trying to say that Tav is playing in a more difficult and complicated role than Jardine did, then we are on different wavelengths.

I'm saying you need to stop living in the past.

Do you think we can afford to buy a world class player nowadays? The game has changed and we are where we are.

I guarantee you couldn't find a better right back for the money that we paid for Tav though.

Tav was like a rabbit caught in the headlights today.... scared shitless and didnt know what was going on ...... couldnt even take a throw in ffs

I'm saying you need to stop living in the past.

Do you think we can afford to buy a world class player nowadays? The game has changed and we are where we are.

I guarantee you couldn't find a better right back for the money that we paid for Tav though.

You're saying the game has changed. Not what Tav's doing hasn't, he's just not very good at it. Overlapping fullbacks didn't start last week, been played for decades.
Find a better right back? Well he isn't a right back for a start, can't tackle, positioning eccentric to say the least, continually wrong side, doesn't know when to stand off and jockey or make a tackle, never knows whether to show an opponent inside or outside and he has trouble taking throw ins as well and gives away too many fouls in bad areas.
I think it would be easy to find someone who could do the basic job of a right back for the right money. Combining it with the forward play is more problematic. He is better at that, but not better enough to make up for his shambolic defending.

I think he has improved, but it has been painfully slow and he relapses too often.

His worst game since the Hibs cup final. Woeful today he was bullied and as many have said he is the captain he should be taking responsibility, instead he looked scared

Knee jerk reactions well and truly in full flow here today, classic FF.

Was only a week or so ago many on here were raging because he wasn't nominated for POTY and when we're winning he's a £5m plus player.

Fact is he was poor today as they all were, he's still our best player and still has a role to play under a far better manager who knows a thing or two about tactics and man management.

Knee jerk reactions well and truly in full flow here today, classic FF.

Was only a week or so ago many on here were raging because he wasn't nominated for POTY and when we're winning he's a £5m plus player.

Fact is he was poor today as they all were, he's still our best player and still has a role to play under a far better manager who knows a thing or two about tactics and man management.

Don't remember saying any of that :D but will try to keep a hold of my knees.

A better manager and better players round him may curb his recklessness, it's his only hope IMO, he can be a full on liability at times and cannot continue the way he is. Changes have to come in his play, from himself, nobody else can do it. Otherwise he'll be off.

Remember the thread i made a while back saying Tav, Windass, AM and Wes need to be sold in the summer?

Remember the abuse i took?

Tell me now i was wrong?

Would sell him and rebuild the defence and punt Wes and Alnwick and bring through McCrorie as back up.

Captain used to mean something. Does he not watch videos of Gough and Ferguson? If not he should have. Sorry Tav I liked you but this is line in the sand stuff, you're done.

They were all a disgrace...Alnwick aside, and he picked it out the net 5 times. Get them all to %^*&....sick of the constant humiliation and lack of effort from these imposters. 11 games against them and no wins is shambolic, especially in the manner we've lost the last few. Not one near good enough.

Hopefully some massive sweeping changes to happen with the arrival of Gerrard.

The fact he’s collected an award from John Greig on the same day he “gave up” and allowed Celtic to score is a complete farce.

He was wearing the captains armband too, by and large he’s been a good signing, but he’s had some stinkers too and giving in against that lot of absolutely never acceptable under any circumstances, so he deserves to be hunted now.

And this imposter has being linked with a big money move to Everton aswell..........
Time for me to dust aff the old predators I reckon.

Tav acted like a captain for a small moment in a previous OF game. Seen therefore as a proper captain. He hasnt been close to that since.

Being captain isn't going to suddenly turn him into an inspirational leader, he is what he is, one of our better performers this year who has, along with many others, crawled into a shell. It seems the armband has been passed around like an old nude book this season, with no real standout.

tav was a disgrace today....as was the other 10 on the pitch,as was the other fukers off the pitch

5-0...before any smart fuker starts player ratings....and while we are at it,they won the league on our watch

Don't know what you want, do you?

No opinion, no comment, no debate or discussion from you, just mindless pap.

Troll away, you may just last till the next scum accounts come out. You managed to discuss that in great detail...........hmmm.

Maybe its just me...i remember the Newcastle pre-season friendly in july 2004. We were sitting in front of a bus with some absolute tadgers who slated the whole team. One of our guys says can you give it a rest its a pre-season friendly for fucksake, then ensues the typical haud me back patter from half their boys...poet behaviour.
Or the Stuart McCall testimonial in Bradford where, to catch up with the guy who had the tickets i went further up the queue, some tattie started shouting about queue jumpers to the polis, some derisory laffing from the queue shut him up. He managed to jump up the queue to behind me and as we went in, he starts back up again, i point out we have no room in our support for grasses and he says nothing, after a few seconds looking at each other a few of his bus come through the turnstiles and into action he goes, do you know who i am, throwing his arms around and shouting, he slapped one poor punter just walking by with the back of his hand and burst his nose, i stopped the wee guy and asked him if he was alright, he just shook his head. I asked the guy is that it with his whole bus behind him and again silence...now thats poet behaviour...for a bit of shaming the guy was stocky/fat average height and tattoed from neck to cuff with dark curly hair with a weegy(don't know if it was real)accent...but thats poet behaviour...
All you're saying is poet behaviour, tough guy on a keyboard with zero brain power and no sense of humour.
Can't believe i took the time to point out your short comings but you might be young.

Haven't bought into all the hype this season. Granted he's been better but he's still a poor defender and we'll need an upgrade if we are serious about winning the league soon.

Maybe its just me...i remember the Newcastle pre-season friendly in july 2004. We were sitting in front of a bus with some absolute tadgers who slated the whole team. One of our guys says can you give it a rest its a pre-season friendly for fucksake, then ensues the typical haud me back patter from half their boys...poet behaviour.
Or the Stuart McCall testimonial in Bradford where, to catch up with the guy who had the tickets i went further up the queue, some tattie started shouting about queue jumpers to the polis, some derisory laffing from the queue shut him up. He managed to jump up the queue to behind me and as we went in, he starts back up again, i point out we have no room in our support for grasses and he says nothing, after a few seconds looking at each other a few of his bus come through the turnstiles and into action he goes, do you know who i am, throwing his arms around and shouting, he slapped one poor punter just walking by with the back of his hand and burst his nose, i stopped the wee guy and asked him if he was alright, he just shook his head. I asked the guy is that it with his whole bus behind him and again silence...now thats poet behaviour...for a bit of shaming the guy was stocky/fat average height and tattoed from neck to cuff with dark curly hair with a weegy(don't know if it was real)accent...but thats poet behaviour...
All you're saying is poet behaviour, tough guy on a keyboard with zero brain power and no sense of humour.
Can't believe i took the time to point out your short comings but you might be young.

Seems you have a long and varied history of managing a situation you can't handle by calling people poets.

Obviously the irony of that behaviour is lost on you. Not sure what your wittering on about buses, queues and grasses up and down the country has to do with the thread title.
Then again you haven't adressed that debate, you have just jumped into what is obviously your default mode and started bawling "poet" when it got beyond you.

You're the guy calling posters poets on a keyboard, not me. What sort of behaviour is that? I'm not looking for an answer to that, I already know, so don't bother.

Seems you have a long and varied history of managing a situation you can't handle by calling people poets.

Obviously the irony of that behaviour is lost on you. Not sure what your wittering on about buses, queues and grasses up and down the country has to do with the thread title.
Then again you haven't adressed that debate, you have just jumped into what is obviously your default mode and started bawling "poet" when it got beyond you.

You're the guy calling posters poets on a keyboard, not me. What sort of behaviour is that? I'm not looking for an answer to that, I already know, so don't bother.

When you learn how to form an opinion by understanding your topic, attetion to detail and research you can then post it on a public forum and then see if your opinion stands up to public scrutiny.

If you can't see how the situations were handled or the innaccuracies of you assumption, "calling people poets." Then my irony is lost on you.

I'm pointing out behaviour. That has a lot to do with the title thread.

I've addressed the debate although you have failed to understand the debate as you began the debate with a stupid statement.

Nobody called anybody poet. Go back and quote me on that.

I hope the humour in my post wasn't lost on you...its usually not so funny if you have to point it out but nerves maybe a little raw at the moment.

You're not looking for answers because you know you are wrong or you have ulterior motives i.e. looks like a poet, smells like a poet, feels like a poet, but it might just be an idiot?

Why did everyone on that side show Tierney onto his strongest foot it's basic stuff like that that pisses you off the most?

we did the same on the other side with noneck Forrest.

He was surprisingly poor defensively and didn't get forward effectively

"surprisingly poor defensively"

You not been watching? He really is the epitomy of everything that is wrong at the club, bang average. If we are to win anything over next few seasons he cannot be anything more than a squad player

He will have very decent games from time to time but like so many will revert to type soon enough

Wakey wakey, Tav will not be alright under a decent manager.
As for the least of our worries patter, it`s beyond a joke.
He only gets a game every week as there is no-one else competing for his position.
This is the level of mediocrity that has been accepted by vast swathes of the support.
The boy hasn`t had a decent game since the second half of our game against falkirk in the Scottish cup quarter final.
He was also rank rotten in the first half of that game.

We deserve better.

When you learn how to form an opinion by understanding your topic, attetion to detail and research you can then post it on a public forum and then see if your opinion stands up to public scrutiny.

If you can't see how the situations were handled or the innaccuracies of you assumption, "calling people poets." Then my irony is lost on you.

I'm pointing out behaviour. That has a lot to do with the title thread.

I've addressed the debate although you have failed to understand the debate as you began the debate with a stupid statement.

Nobody called anybody poet. Go back and quote me on that.

I hope the humour in my post wasn't lost on you...its usually not so funny if you have to point it out but nerves maybe a little raw at the moment.

You're not looking for answers because you know you are wrong or you have ulterior motives i.e. looks like a poet, smells like a poet, feels like a poet, but it might just be an idiot?

The irony.

He's a luxury that we can get away with using when his lazyness in getting back into position won't get us punished. As for Rangers captain? Not in a million years, he stands in the tunnel like he's contemplating what to have for his dinner when he gets home while that wankstain brown is focused on destroying us.

"James Tavernier was a disgrace for a captain today"

Above is the thread title. You haven't addressed it in any shape or form, you haven't even mentioned Tavernier.

You are just a troll.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of poets on here today.

Who did that refer to? Nobody in particular, I suppose.

This was your opening contribution after 45 posts on the thread. I had already posted on the thread and since that was all you said, didn't put forward any debate or explanation, I think myself or anyone else is entitled to assume they were being referred to.
You will now, in true evasive and smartarsed "it wisnae me guv" fashion, deny this is what you meant. On some other garbled post you seemed to infer you were joking and I lacked a sense of humour. Another cop out, lacking in conviction and badly misjudged. It is never, in my book, funny to refer to bears as "poets", just because you don't have the wit to debate the thread.

Anyway, I have no intention of allowing you to drag me off topic (one you've never been on) and into derailing this thread any further. There's an ignore button, use it and troll away.

Last edited:
He's been present for and complicit in all of Celtic's demolitions of us for the last two years. I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if he goes in the summer.

That's sort of where I am as well

I love Tav as a player but there's just been way too many defeats against them that he's been involved in. Mentally he's clocked out. I just don't understand how he can go from ripping the piss in December to a performance like that yesterday

Like the guy but all the Warburton signings need shipped out.

Failure and defeat to the papes is now engrained in their mindset.

That's sort of where I am as well

I love Tav as a player but there's just been way too many defeats against them that he's been involved in. Mentally he's clocked out. I just don't understand how he can go from ripping the piss in December to a performance like that yesterday

Everyone who played in both games was guilty of this. Candeias battled for absolutely everything in December and looked like he'd rather have been digging latrines yesterday. McCrorie (albeit playing in a different position) physically dominated anyone who dared go near him and yesterday looked like a lost wee boy. It's symptomatic of players who obviously felt they had nothing to play for.

They'll never be forgiven for yesterday. One humiliation too many.

"James Tavernier was a disgrace for a captain today"

Above is the thread title. You haven't addressed it in any shape or form, you haven't even mentioned Tavernier.

You are just a troll.

Who did that refer to? Nobody in particular, I suppose.

This was your opening contribution after 45 posts on the thread. I had already posted on the thread and since that was all you said, didn't put forward any debate or explanation, I think myself or anyone else is entitled to assume they were being referred to.
You will now, in true evasive and smartarsed "it wisnae me guv" fashion, deny this is what you meant. On some other garbled post you seemed to infer you were joking and I lacked a sense of humour. Another cop out, lacking in conviction and badly misjudged. It is never, in my book, funny to refer to bears as "poets", just because you don't have the wit to debate the thread.

Anyway, I have no intention of allowing you to drag me off topic (one you've never been on) and into derailing this thread any further. There's an ignore button, use it and troll away.

You certainly have a big chip on your shoulder and a serious guilt complex i wonder why?

This is very simple .

He WAS a disgrace as a captain yesterday ,absolutely lacked any leadership and didn’t fulfill a captains role ,leading by example in every game is a pre-requisite,he doesn’t lead by example ,he was as shit scared as the rest of them ...and that’s the captain ???

I mean come on ,compare him to gers captains of the past ffs it’s embarrassing.

Back