James Tavernier

Said the same earlier. Great performance and a real threat with his crosses. Yes a certain amount of weakness as a defender but great attributes as an attacking full back.Thought Declan John was good too in the first half, Different type of player though

I actually think that is one of his best performances for us, maybe not scoring for fun like in the championship but it was a very rounded performance

To think a lot of fans wanted him punted.. Don't get me wrong he's no world beater but he looks a lad if coached probably could go far.

Said the same earlier. Great performance and a real threat with his crosses. Yes a certain amount of weakness as a defender but great attributes as an attacking full back.Thought Declan John was good too in the first half, Different type of player though
Does a fit Wallace get back into this team?

credit where its due, his delivery tonight was excellent. candeias makes such a difference to him though, if only there was a left sided version of him we could get!

Bit of an unsung hero.

Said before, we will this chap when he's not there.
Excellent tonight. His deliveries in the final third were fantastic.
Thought he had a difficult season last season but he's looking like a better player again with the hard working Candeias in front of him.

Its now looking like when one of our wings has been shut down (looked to me like St J targeted our left after Hamilton game) that the other one can thrive. All 3 goals tonight being created from the right.

Indeed had a good game going forward tonight but in the first half was awol on a number of occasions where better teams could have punished us. If we could get good money for him I'd take it and get a RB who can defend.

His crossing last season was nothing short of abysmal compared to his first season. 8/10 crosses would be overhit but this season have improved a lot, DC must have been teaching him a few things. 2 great crosses last night

Would be interesting to see analysis on how his role has changed since Caixinha took over.

Seems to be playing more like a traditional full back now with the amount of crosses he is putting into the box, and concentrating on doing the defensive basics better.

He may not be the best player in our team but he certainly looks the fittest , his attitude is fantastic easily my MOM last night, I know that Dorrans had a great game as well but Tav making the runs he did last night was fantastic.

Thought he had a difficult season last season but he's looking like a better player again with the hard working Candeias in front of him.

Its now looking like when one of our wings has been shut down (looked to me like St J targeted our left after Hamilton game) that the other one can thrive. All 3 goals tonight being created from the right.
He had a difficult season last year because he had kiernan to his left, waghorn in front of him and Andy Halliday as the holding midfielder.

Anyone would struggle playing around a load of dross

Wouldn't want to lose Tav. Bags of talent, great going forward and learning his trade defensively. Important player for us.

Reactions: M@x
He had a difficult season last year because he had kiernan to his left, waghorn in front of him and Andy Halliday as the holding midfielder.

But harsh on Andy. he's never been a defensive mid but played where asked. he's a good lad and an ok player when played in his natural position.

But harsh on Andy. he's never been a defensive mid but played where asked. he's a good lad and an ok player when played in his natural position.
I agree. I'm basing my comment on the contribution in that position. Not him as a person, or ability in his proper position.

Waghorn wasn't a winger, Halliday isn't a dm and kiernan isn't a centre half.

Very harsh on Halliday, he was asked to play a position that is alien to him but he did it with no fuss or tantrums, and you forget the way he bossed Brown in the SC semi final.

There's always been a player in there, we've seen periods of it before, especially in the Championship.

Becoming very evident now that he's playing alongside a solid defence. And he's forming a great understanding with Candeias that will result in a lot of assists.

Long may it continue.

I like Tav - he never hides and always puts in a shift.

It would take a sizable fee to replace him so let's get him on a new contract!

Reactions: M@x
Always knew Tav had an element of quality about him he's always a threat going forward,now he has better players around him that suit his game and that's maybe why his game has come on. His link ups with Candeias are great. I' m glad Pedro kept him and seems to be thriving under him.

Love Tavernier. Was motm for me last night. If he could improve his defending wed get an obscene fee for him

One of my favourite players

Severely underrated by folk who are determined to jump on him for anything all because he was part of a MW team that couldn’t defend

He’s been our most improved player under Pedro IMO. Defensively improved big time as well and a real asset going forward

Very harsh on Halliday, he was asked to play a position that is alien to him but he did it with no fuss or tantrums, and you forget the way he bossed Brown in the SC semi final.
Halliday in 90% of games at dm was rubbish. That’s not a dig at him as it’s not his position. MW chose to play him there.

And of course, the semi was great.

The lad is often criticised, sometimes legitimately, however he deserves credit for his 2 assists and general all round play last night.
No matter what, he never hides.

Back