James Tavernier

Crossing aside, the guy’s been excellent this season, let’s not forget the number of games he’s played too.

If a player came in with Gerrard and performed as well as he has this year people would be lauding him as a 15-20m a player. some fans can’t see past Tav when he was playing under shïte managers.

He's the best full back in Scotland, even better than 25 million rated tierney.
He is a modern day full back who does most of his good work going forward.
We will miss him but we'll be quids in when he leaves.

Probably not as many quids as you imagine ! Even 'Modern Day Fullbacks' need to be able to defend !

A lot of people on here are slagging Conor Goldson for his performances, no wonder mostly he is covering two positions, Right Centre Back and Right Full Back ( because there is no-one there )

Just have a look at things in a typical match where we are being attacked down our right side and our Right full back is nowhere to be seen.

Even, unusually, when he is in position he seldom tackles - The classic example of that was against the ( supposedly crap) Jordan Jones in the league cup at the start of the season, Jones had the ball out wide and Tav backed off and backed off until he got to the six yard line when JJ passed the ball into the six yard box, it was an own goal, but that particular example is not untypical.

Last edited:
take the captaincy off him... I'm mixed with him... he is good going forward. But 2 out 10 cross beat the 1st man.. why does he insist on taking every free kick.. he gets caught too many times up the park like hibs away .. also v Aberdeen .
I'm raging at him from Tuesday as he didnt hang around he bolted up the tunnel no aaknowledgment nothing while our 2 other centre half atleast tried to aknowledge the fans....
we need a real leader as captain sorry but tav is not that guy...
remember wee dick took the armband off among and 5o be honest the big man got better as the pressure was off

I am so glad that I am a fucking idiot.
58 years of watching The Rangers to be told by a wee whippersnapper about defenders who played for our club.
Go to bed, school again 9am Monday morning you dolt.

I don't care what age you are, and quite frankly telling someone to go to bed for school at 9am on a Monday morning when it's 9pm on Friday night does make you look like a bit of an idiot.

take the captaincy off him... I'm mixed with him... he is good going forward. But 2 out 10 cross beat the 1st man.. why does he insist on taking every free kick.. he gets caught too many times up the park like hibs away .. also v Aberdeen .
I'm raging at him from Tuesday as he didnt hang around he bolted up the tunnel no aaknowledgment nothing while our 2 other centre half atleast tried to aknowledge the fans....
we need a real leader as captain sorry but tav is not that guy...
remember wee dick took the armband off among and 5o be honest the big man got better as the pressure was off
Maybe Stevie G tells him to take the majority of set pieces,I’d trust Gerrard more than you.
Caught upfield against Hibs,you mean blatantly fouled.
Hang about on Tuesday?...........there was no one left in the stadium as our support had fucked off!

Our main problems do not lie at the back for fucks sake. Tav has come on leaps and bounds defensively this season whilst maintaining his offensive output. The goals lost in games down his flank would not even be noticed if we could finish teams.

As per usual, following a disappointing defeat, Tavernier seems to get a lot of criticism come his way from a number of our support.

It can’t just be me that doesn’t understand it?

He has the highest number of assists in the league this season with a total of 13, and he is a DEFENDER. Compare this to the 2nd highest assister in the league, Mallan, who has 8 assists and is a MIDFIELDER.

Not to mention his outstanding tally of 11 goals, which has him placed as the 4th highest scorer in the league, one behind wonder boy Edouard. I do wait for the folk coming on to say, “but, but he only scores penalties.” A goal is a goal ffs and you have to have the nerve to step up and dispatch it in the way Tav does.

We have scored 65 goals in the league this year with Tav having a direct involvement in 24 of them, by either scoring or assisting.

They stats are mental, and so are some of our fans who want to “punt” him. What more do we want from a full back?

I genuinely shudder to think where we would be without him this season.
You can't argue facts or states. He offers much but only when he is 100% on. How many of you honestly said to yourself Tuesday (and many times)....."why is he the dead ball guy, why is he putting this cross in". Why? Because in general he is woeful at that. Yes he assists and he's here scores but many many too many times his crosses, shots and dead balls go nowhere and never find the target. That is what the criticism is. Good player has raised his stick from wherehe canne from....... still thinkhe is an awful "defender" but as someone else said will bring in a tidy profit. He is not a captain imo

It’s no surprise most of the people who don’t like Tav are older. Dinosaurs who haven’t kept up with the game. They don’t understand the role of full backs has completely changed.

Particular shout out to the ignoramous saying Tav is out of position a lot. No shit Sherlock, our attacking full back is up the field?! Who’d have thought it.

He’s been directly culpable for two goals this season, both in the same game against Motherwell. The way folk talk, you’d think the majority of goals conceded come from his mistakes.

People just think a rangers captain should be an angry bastard that you see shouting at people all the time.

It can be an element but not a necessity.

I did infact see Tav frothing at the linesman on Tuesday tbf

As per usual, following a disappointing defeat, Tavernier seems to get a lot of criticism come his way from a number of our support.

He has the highest number of assists in the league this season with a total of 13, and he is a DEFENDER. Compare this to the 2nd highest assister in the league, Mallan, who has 8 assists and is a MIDFIELDER.

Not to mention his outstanding tally of 11 goals, which has him placed as the 4th highest scorer in the league, one behind wonder boy Edouard. I do wait for the folk coming on to say, “but, but he only scores penalties.” A goal is a goal ffs and you have to have the nerve to step up and dispatch it in the way Tav does.

We have scored 65 goals in the league this year with Tav having a direct involvement in 24 of them, by either scoring or assisting.

They stats are mental, and so are some of our fans who want to “punt” him. What more do we want from a full back?

10 penalties. It’s really not an outstanding tally when they’re almost all exclusively from the spot.

However, his assists tally is fantastic and overall he’s had a great season. I don’t think he’s a leader though and he’s just been rotten in too many big games like midweek, I’m taking over the course of his Rangers career, not just this season.

He’s had endless praise this season, so I’m sure he can take criticism when he doesn’t play well, just like the rest of them.

It’s no surprise most of the people who don’t like Tav are older. Dinosaurs who haven’t kept up with the game. They don’t understand the role of full backs has completely changed.

Particular shout out to the ignoramous saying Tav is out of position a lot. No shit Sherlock, our attacking full back is up the field?! Who’d have thought it.

He’s been directly culpable for two goals this season, both in the same game against Motherwell. The way folk talk, you’d think the majority of goals conceded come from his mistakes.

Jeez i live in America and dont get to many games and i have personally seen Tav be at fault for two goals, and neither was against Motherwell. I do agree it is a generational thing and we old boys expect that the team that comcedes fewest goals tends to win trophies, as an Aberdeen V Celtic cup semi & final appears to demonstrate this season.

Ps. Check the league table too. The vlue is the team at the top dont lose goals!

Jeez i live in America and dont get to many games and i have personally seen Tav be at fault for two goals, and neither was against Motherwell. I do agree it is a generational thing and we old boys expect that the team that comcedes fewest goals tends to win trophies, as an Aberdeen V Celtic cup semi & final appears to demonstrate this season.

Ps. Check the league table too. The vlue is the team at the top dont lose goals!

Tell us these two goals then?

I realise that he's a far better footballer but I remember the completely limited Broadfoot playing well at right back in a defensive Rangers side. I think that some of our fans just remember a relatively defensive side playing well and winning things. It doesn't matter to them if the right back is chipping in with 20 goals and 20 assists for as long as we're finishing second. It didn't matter to them that Broadfoot was a pretty limited footballer so long as the club and squad he was in were winning trophies.

He's not good enough for me.

I've watched him disappear up his own arse too many times when the going gets tough. We need better if we want to win trophies.

Not the worst, by a long way, but not good enough either.

Hes good at times but was crap in the last two games.

If people praise when good and criticise when bad then fair enough.

I'm not sure he's an ideal captain in games like the Aberdeen one though. Not sure which current outfield player actually is.
He needs a rest but who can we rely on to come in and do a job in his absence?

Hes good at times but was crap in the last two games.

If people praise when good and criticise when bad then fair enough.

I'm not sure he's an ideal captain in games like the Aberdeen one though. Not sure which current outfield player actually is.
Why criticise though, we are supporters, support and encourage someone when they are not up to their usual standards, knowing you were going to get abuse the minute you make a mistake is not ideal to anyone no matter what proffesion you are in

When we lose, the worst comes out in people and it doesn’t matter if you are playing amazing, lose a game and you will be called all sorts

Should drop him for “Flanno” for a couple of games and people will be begging to bring Tav back.

When he’s our main attacking threat you can hardly be surprised when the attack breaks down and he can’t teleport himself back to right back and defend the break. I’d put money on him comfortably putting in the most distance of any of the players.

Aberdeen have conceded 12 goals more than us in the league. We have only conceded 6 less than the league leaders. We concede an average of 0.7 goals per game. The leaders 0.55. So we arent far away at all.

If we played every game like Aberdeen do against us then we would likely be close to single figures in terms of goals conceded in the league.

We are also only one goal off being top scorers.

His stats with assists are great but the amount of balls he wastes drives a lot of people crazy.

We can see what he is capable of yet time and time again in matches he hits the first man or plays over the top of everyone.

A wee bit more care and he could be so much more of an asset.

Never a captain and probably better suited as a left sided midfielder.

A left sided midfielder? Seriously?

Why criticise though, we are supporters, support and encourage someone when they are not up to their usual standards, knowing you were going to get abuse the minute you make a mistake is not ideal to anyone no matter what proffesion you are in
I agree but it is what folk do like it or not.

I dont mind it here but at the games its stupid.

ive been critical of him but something that stood out on tuesday night which bugs me. We played with three midfielders yet it was up to worrall, goldson and tav to create nearly every attack.

Goldson/Worrall seemd to have most of the possession and if they couldnt get it forward it was passed to tav to do something. Our midfield have to go demanding the ball instead of passing the buck time and time again.

ive been critical of him but something that stood out on tuesday night which bugs me. We played with three midfielders yet it was up to worrall, goldson and tav to create nearly every attack.

Goldson/Worrall seemd to have most of the possession and if they couldnt get it forward it was passed to tav to do something. Our midfield have to go demanding the ball instead of passing the buck time and time again.

Exactly, most of the criticism of big Bates was down to this. Too many in the midfield do more pointing than looking for it.

Can see both sides of the argument with him not being the greatest defender,l and great going forward.

The game has moved on from the days when all a full back had to do was defend, as other posters have said put Flanagan on at right back for a few games and you'll be begging for Tav to come straight back into the team as he contributes so much for our side

Also maybe we wouldn't need to rely on him as much gping foward and getting caught if we had a right mid who could beat a man himself and whip in balls consistently

Nah he's never a defender and never a captain apparently.

What I will say, the other night he was trying to drive us forward, constantly in the refs face asking to explain his decisions etc and he never hides from taking the ball.

He gets a harder time than anyone else in the team. We actually expect him to be more creative than any of our midfielders.

As someone else said, we'll miss him when he's gone. Some idiots would probably still prefer 'Flannigan/Flannagan' (they never tend to spell his name right).
He is a constant attacking outlet for us. Never hides, always wants the ball & creates opportunity's.

Teams would kill for a right back like him.

I don’t understand folk who have a go at him either OP, its ridiculous.

Big part of the problem is that the midfield give the ball to the centre halves all to regularly.
I've said it many a time, our slow play is down to dilly dallying at the back and midfielders who can be to safe and give them it back to them to dillly dally again.
Got to get it moving quicker. When it hits midfield it needs to go forward and quickly.
I'd fine midfilelders when they needlessly pass it back. If fine my fullbacks for the same.
I'd fine my centre backs everytime I see a mee to you type pass when there was a midfield pass on.
If I see mee to you to me passing at the back, I'd pull the player off. It's slow, it's safe, it's lazy and it kills us from getting into a game.

People who think he can't defend are just fucking idiots and that's all there is to it.

Posts like this shite should be deleted.

I imagine they are either written by the wee cunts at the game who’ll try and fight anyone whilst full of the buckie or by non Rangers fans.

A forum is about debate and comments like this are going to stir up debate only hostility

I imagine they are either written by the wee cunts at the game who’ll try and fight anyone whilst full of the buckie or by non Rangers fans.

A forum is about debate and comments like this are going to stir up debate only hostility

Or maybe written by people who are sick of people who act exactly as you just said, whilst continuously hurling abuse at our players for no reason

But he has a point.

The belief or opinion that "he can't defend" is quite frankly, a stupid one.

The idea that any manager would continue to play someone as a RB who "can't defend" (never mind that manager being Steven Gerrard) is absolutely absurd.

And yet when you ask the "he can't defend" brigade how many goals he's been directly responsible for you don't get a response.

To my knowledge he's been responsible for 2 or 3 this season but that kind of tally goes for every other defender we have this season and have had in previous seasons but folk on here would have you believe that we're shipping goals because of Tav.

It's made up nonsense.

Last edited:
He’s held to different standards than many of his teammates by posters on here, some who appear to be clueless and some with perhaps different agendas.
As far as the captaincy goes he along with Greegs are the only 2 certain starters so.

Probably not as many quids as you imagine ! Even 'Modern Day Fullbacks' need to be able to defend !

A lot of people on here are slagging Conor Goldson for his performances, no wonder mostly he is covering two positions, Right Centre Back and Right Full Back ( because there is no-one there )

Just have a look at things in a typical match where we are being attacked down our right side and our Right full back is nowhere to be seen.

Even, unusually, when he is in position he seldom tackles - The classic example of that was against the ( supposedly crap) Jordan Jones in the league cup at the start of the season, Jones had the ball out wide and Tav backed off and backed off until he got to the six yard line when JJ passed the ball into the six yard box, it was an own goal, but that particular example is not untypical.
This all day. He will create or score one goal but cost us two. We will win nothing with him in the team

Back