James Tavernier

I'd love to know just how many goals have came from Tavs side, I think people would be surprised.

Probably not as many quids as you imagine ! Even 'Modern Day Fullbacks' need to be able to defend !

A lot of people on here are slagging Conor Goldson for his performances, no wonder mostly he is covering two positions, Right Centre Back and Right Full Back ( because there is no-one there )

Just have a look at things in a typical match where we are being attacked down our right side and our Right full back is nowhere to be seen.

Even, unusually, when he is in position he seldom tackles - The classic example of that was against the ( supposedly crap) Jordan Jones in the league cup at the start of the season, Jones had the ball out wide and Tav backed off and backed off until he got to the six yard line when JJ passed the ball into the six yard box, it was an own goal, but that particular example is not untypical.
As much as tav adds to the team going forward there is this problem that centre backs and midfielders have to track over to his side to cover for a lot plus getting caught on the ball when he is closed down and has to think quick is a problem for him and the people who cover for him, keeping him means we have to accept this and take the benefits of his forward runs and assists which are good.

I'm at loggerheads with my old man every game about Tav.

Everything's always his fault according to him. His latest is mentioning any set piece which sees Tav on the left side of the park.

Not sure if it's a generational thing or not but it's frustrating as %^*&.

I agree Tav is not the main issue when we are not playing well, Goldson’s tempo playing out from the back ,and Arfield’s lack of composure in the box are bigger contributors to our poor play.

Albeit Tav could be a bit more vocal in his role as captain.

I agree Tav is not the main issue when we are not playing well, Goldson’s tempo playing out from the back ,and Arfield’s lack of composure in the box are bigger contributors to our poor play.

Albeit Tav could be a bit more vocal in his role as captain.
Goldson has been solid for us on the whole but against Aberdeen I have never seen such a lack of urgency to get the ball out. it goes against how we were set up, and we were 2-0 down you'd think there would be more desire to play the ball in a timely manner.

If Tav’s stats tell you one thing it’s that we are over reliant on him to create goals and score. He’s should be able to have a bad game and have the other 9 players step up.

When Tav has a stinker, the team plays shite.

Goldson has been solid for us on the whole but against Aberdeen I have never seen such a lack of urgency to get the ball out. it goes against how we were set up, and we were 2-0 down you'd think there would be more desire to play the ball in a timely manner.
You really need to watch his 3 - 4 touches before playing it back to Worral , I don’t question his defensive quality only his tempo in possession

We need someone in who can give him serious comp for place to up his game.
Alan Hutton would be good but he's just got a serious injury and we don't need another Dorrans.
I like Tav but not on set plays and he shouldn't be captain.
Mahlon Romeo from Millwall linked hopefully he's good enough to play for us.

I am praying that it's his last season in a Rangers jersey. There is a good reason he is up here at his age and same said of Goldson. Second rate players.

Frustrating because he can't do the basics like defending as a full back !

I would like our midfield to take some of the burden off him and do the attacking, sure he will be able to get forward on occassions but let him concentrate more on defending. Or either play him as a wide attacking midfielder.

Hope to %^*& somebody in the English Championship comes in with an offer for him in the summer.

Even if it’s just to not see him hit another set piece for us.

I don’t really have an issue with Tav the player, but I have a huge problem with Tav the Captain. Give it to Shagger or Halliday. Someone who understands the club and isn’t afraid to shout and scream when it’s required.

I don’t really have an issue with Tav the player, but I have a huge problem with Tav the Captain. Give it to Shagger or Halliday. Someone who understands the club and isn’t afraid to shout and scream when it’s required.
McGregor??
Did you see his performance today,ranting and raving like a fuckin lunatic,runs up to the halfway line and gets himself booked,keeps ranting and raving in his box instead of focusing on his own game then sells the jerseys for their goal.
He was a liability today.

I agree re Tav the player ( although certainly not as right full back ) and problem with Tav the captain !

I can't agree about Shagger as captain as apart from temperament, red cards and should have beens) a GK is not ideal and b) going forward, he ain't going to be around for possibly any more than a year or two so NO !

The same applies to AH, he may or not be in SG's plans long term ?

All that said, I don't know who I would suggest as when you take out the senior players as we are left with Goldson, McCrorie, Jack, Arfield, Kamara perhaps longer term, maybe one or two others !

I would like our midfield to take some of the burden off him and do the attacking, sure he will be able to get forward on occassions but let him concentrate more on defending. Or either play him as a wide attacking midfielder.

Should never be started at full back as he is all too seldom in that position and can't/wont tackle !

As a fan of his ,who knows his weaknesses as well as his strengths, I have to call it as I see it.

He is not at the races at the moment, not sure why.

We all know his defensive frailties but the strong side of his game has fallen off a cliff , possibly coincides with Candeias being bang out of form for the last few games too.

Always disagreed with him being made Captain , maybe the weight of that job is having an affect .

Why does he have to take very free kick.
When was the last time he scored from one.
I am a fan of his but my patience is running thin.

Aberdeen have conceded 12 goals more than us in the league. We have only conceded 6 less than the league leaders. We concede an average of 0.7 goals per game. The leaders 0.55. So we arent far away at all.

If we played every game like Aberdeen do against us then we would likely be close to single figures in terms of goals conceded in the league.

We are also only one goal off being top scorers.

And Incase you haven’t noticed 7-10 points behind the Tims. We don’t score enough goals in the big games and we always concede one, but let’s all pretend it is ok. If that is not an explanation for the draws this season I have have idea what is.

Seems to me Tavernier's best performances are in the games against the lesser sides. When we really need him in games against Celtc, Hibs, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock he looks short of confidence and rarely goes past his man. Or maybe they have better tactics to shut him out.

The bit that makes me laugh are those who say he’s not good enough for us but still demand 7 or 8 million for him.

Anyone that still stands by Tav and thinks he should be a captain are 100 % head in the sanders that I can only presume never watched a proper captain like Gough or Barry Ferguson captain us.

Another assist from Tav yesterday

How many is that for the season now?
I don't think that a ball passed to a forward on edge of the box with his back to goal and a 6'6'' defender half way up his arse could possibly constitute an 'assist'. But there again it is 2019 and stats are made up for stats sake.

I wish 7 or 8 others in our team were as poor as he was he and contributed as little to us as he does...we would likely win the league.

His pass to Morelos for the equaliser and what Morelos did once he got the ball was outstanding. Those 2 are by far our best players, yet a lot on FF seem to want to sell them and reinvest the money.

Morelos was scouted by Jonathon Johanson and I think Tav was a Warb's discovery. They both have been unbelievable value for money and I have no faith in us using the money to find better players if we do sell them.

I wonder if Tav's critics are older fans who haven't accepted the role of fullback has changed a lot over the years.

I don't think that a ball passed to a forward on edge of the box with his back to goal and a 6'6'' defender half way up his arse could possibly constitute an 'assist'. But there again it is 2019 and stats are made up for stats sake.
Aye ok then, it wasn't an assist

His pass to Morelos for the equaliser and what Morelos did once he got the ball was outstanding. Those 2 are by far our best players, yet a lot on FF seem to want to sell them and reinvest the money.

Morelos was scouted by Jonathon Johanson and I think Tav was a Warb's discovery. They both have been unbelievable value for money and I have no faith in us using the money to find better players if we do sell them.

I wonder if Tav's critics are older fans who haven't accepted the role of fullback has changed a lot over the years.
I agree the full back role has changed last few years. Top players down south such as Young, Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Walker, Shaw to name a few are poor defenders compared to those of ten years ago but they add so much to a team that is in constant attack, such as our team. Our failing is at the top end not at the back and the management team know that only too well. I'm confident that the management team will correct the failings over the summer. Yes just a few required not wholesale changes that SG had to make 8 short months ago.

There was a guy in the main stand along from me who was taking notes throughout the match . Those beside him were saying he was a scout for Derby and was watching Tavernier and Kent .

How many assists today or last Tuesday?
He may be capable of some decent crosses, but so is Barasic and Candieas but none of them could be effective full time wingers.
Tav isn't doing it now. That's the bottom line.
1 today(Saturday)you missed it obviously?

You can generally tell how much someone knows about football based on whether or not they rate Tav.

He's our best player after Morelos.

100% spot on.

Most people think we should still play a 4-4-2 and the LB/RB should just defend.

Football has moved on folks. Full backs more often than not double up as wingers.

Part of that means that occasionally we'll concede goals down the flanks. However, it's the job of the centre back and defensive mids to cover the wingbacks when they're forward - so really the likes of Ryan Jack (who is awful at tracking back - seriously, watch him...a light jog at best) have to do more.

Good luck replacing around 30 goals & assists a season from a right back. Got a spare £15-20m?

Can't believe the amount of people saying he's not good enough, get rid etc.

After Morelos he's out best player.

He's a RB who we rely on to create more chances than our midfielders & wingers.

Even when he's having a poor game he never hides and is always on the overlap looking for the ball.

I think he's feeling the pressure to do 2 jobs right now which has seen him go off the boil.. he's having to defend & create/ score goals at the same time.

Surround him with better players who can perhaps share the responsibility that's falling soley on Tav & Morelos right now.

Tavernier is good at going forward but his primary job is to defend which he is not good at in the least.

As for his captaincy? Never a Rangers Captain in a trillion years.

Back