James Tavernier

Stanley Yelnats

As per usual, following a disappointing defeat, Tavernier seems to get a lot of criticism come his way from a number of our support.

It can’t just be me that doesn’t understand it?

He has the highest number of assists in the league this season with a total of 13, and he is a DEFENDER. Compare this to the 2nd highest assister in the league, Mallan, who has 8 assists and is a MIDFIELDER.

Not to mention his outstanding tally of 11 goals, which has him placed as the 4th highest scorer in the league, one behind wonder boy Edouard. I do wait for the folk coming on to say, “but, but he only scores penalties.” A goal is a goal ffs and you have to have the nerve to step up and dispatch it in the way Tav does.

We have scored 65 goals in the league this year with Tav having a direct involvement in 24 of them, by either scoring or assisting.

They stats are mental, and so are some of our fans who want to “punt” him. What more do we want from a full back?

I genuinely shudder to think where we would be without him this season.

Hes good at times but was crap in the last two games.

If people praise when good and criticise when bad then fair enough.

I'm not sure he's an ideal captain in games like the Aberdeen one though. Not sure which current outfield player actually is.

People expect far too much influence on a game from a right back. If our midfield was actually doing it's job offensively Tav would look even better.

But right now it's shut down Tav and Morelos and we're fucked.

Nah he's never a defender and never a captain apparently.

What I will say, the other night he was trying to drive us forward, constantly in the refs face asking to explain his decisions etc and he never hides from taking the ball.

He gets a harder time than anyone else in the team. We actually expect him to be more creative than any of our midfielders.

As someone else said, we'll miss him when he's gone. Some idiots would probably still prefer 'Flannigan/Flannagan' (they never tend to spell his name right).

I'm at loggerheads with my old man every game about Tav.

Everything's always his fault according to him. His latest is mentioning any set piece which sees Tav on the left side of the park.

Not sure if it's a generational thing or not but it's frustrating as %^*&.

His attacking stats are irreplaceable.

For a few hundred thousand you aren't going to get his attacking stats and a top defender rolled in one.

If he wasn't wearing the captain's band, he wouldn't get it as tight. I don't think he is captain material - I am old school - but he's by far the best RB we have had in a long time and he puts some of our attacking outlets to shame.

I'm at loggerheads with my old man every game about Tav.

Everything's always his fault according to him. His latest is mentioning any set piece which sees Tav on the left side of the park.

Not sure if it's a generational thing or not but it's frustrating as %^*&.

What does your dad say when he goes into chicken mode and doesn't step up to take free kicks in the last few minutes when things are not going right?

His stats with assists are great but the amount of balls he wastes drives a lot of people crazy.

We can see what he is capable of yet time and time again in matches he hits the first man or plays over the top of everyone.

A wee bit more care and he could be so much more of an asset.

Never a captain and probably better suited as a left sided midfielder.

Think he gets more of a hard time cause the fans know he can do amazing things with the ball at his feet then too often he can be diabolical. He’s just one of those players that’s frustrating cause he can’t do the good things every match. I guess if he could he wouldn’t be at rangers as full backs that can do that are rare.

What does your dad say when he goes into chicken mode and doesn't step up to take free kicks in the last few minutes when things are not going right?
He's over the moon.

His opinion is that Tav takes all the set pieces and throw ins by force so when someone else does he loves it.

He's a good player but our formation doesn't often suit. Trying to push the fullbacks on when teams sit deep and their players track back with them, just doesn't work.

Some folk will throw the toys out at this post but would like to see tav given licence to attack as a right mid or right winger with Flanagan behind him who is no frills defensive player who is more than capable in spl

Sandy Jardine and Gary Stevens were fantastic attacking full backs.

Some might not believe this, but we lost bad goals down our right hand side when they played.

Tav isn't in their class by far, but he is a million miles away from being near the top of our problems in delivering a winning team. He is a very good footballer, a massively important attacking threat, and is a decent defender who gets slaughtered in here for goals we concede that are nothing to do with him.

He does make mistakes, he does occasionally cost us a goal, but there has never been a defender in history who didn't.

His attacking stats are irreplaceable.

For a few hundred thousand you aren't going to get his attacking stats and a top defender rolled in one.

If he wasn't wearing the captain's band, he wouldn't get it as tight. I don't think he is captain material - I am old school - but he's by far the best RB we have had in a long time and he puts some of our attacking outlets to shame.

I must admit he probably IS the best RB we have had for a long time. We have been very lacking in that position over the years.
Who was the last really class one we had?
Hutton? And before that- Gary Stevens?!

Last edited:
Our support love a whipping boy though. Even in games like Aberdeen midweek, where he wasn't the worst player on the park, he still gets the brunt of it.

I must admit he probably IS the best RB we have had as long as I can remember. We have been very lacking in that position over the years.
Who was the last really class one we had?
Hutton?

Hutton, who was suspect defensively.

Differences between Hutton and Tavernier. Hutton got stuck in, loved a crunching tackle, was stronger, more aggressive... Tavernier has a better range of passing and link up, he's also playing in a lesser quality Rangers side so mistakes are highlighted more than Hutton.

I'm sure my dad called him a fanny the last time I know the question wasn't mine to awnser but my da also hates him for some reason seems to think he's a coward sometimes I find it hard to disagree other times its nippy as %^*&. I'm not tags biggest cheerleader like some on this his defending is overall very mediocre attacking stats are speak for themselves.

He's the best full back in Scotland, even better than 25 million rated tierney.
He is a modern day full back who does most of his good work going forward.
We will miss him but we'll be quids in when he leaves.

I like him and when he's at it, he's some player. Unfortunately, there's usually no middle ground. He's either one of the best on the pitch or one of the worst.
Also, going forward, we can't have our right attacker continually covering for our full back.

Think he gets more of a hard time cause the fans know he can do amazing things with the ball at his feet then too often he can be diabolical. He’s just one of those players that’s frustrating cause he can’t do the good things every match. I guess if he could he wouldn’t be at rangers as full backs that can do that are rare.

Frustrating because he can't do the basics like defending as a full back !

Back