JamesTavernier vs Borna Barišić. Who is the better player?

Who is better?

• Tav

• Borna

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think you saw the other evening, tav is is simply a better all round player both in defence and attack.

Last season borna looked solid on set plays but he visibly tired on Thursday.

Love them both, great players and pleased that the manager and staff have found a way to accommodate 2 significant talents in our team. For me tavs defending was never the issue, it was always how we maximised his positives and had strategies for his deficiencies and that, is always, down to the manager and coaching staff

Tav is better in our league but his strengths would be nullified in a tougher league. BB could play anywhere in the world. Tough call but I guess BB

Two exceptional players.

Adding everything up, our Captain for me.

POTY and would love to see him lead us for years to come.

He will be successful this season with silverware sure to come.

Keeping our skipper on a long deal after that is absolutely correct I feel.

Fag paper between both, both to me have defensive frailties, Borna doesn’t get tight enough to his man on a one on one and Tav gets caught out of position because he attacks all the time, although he’s tightened up on that this season and picks and chooses when he goes forward maybe through experience. If I was to choose it be Barasic because his delivery is usually spot on, and he’s marginally better defensively. All about opinions, we all see the game differently.

Last edited:
Barisic for me, he edges it as his final ball is better and his crossing is more consistent than Tav who's no stranger to a stray cross

Its an extremely hard one, Tav has added a new dynamic to his game with his aggression in the final 3rd and getting on the end of crosses from the left, but defensively I feel Borna is a bit more solid.

They are very similar in terms of deliveries.

Not much between them, both top class. I think Tav edges it as he's probably a slightly better footballer overall.

Tight one though and would probably have voted Barasic at other times.

Lucky to have them both.

I’m with you on this. I’ve never been Tavs biggest fan but this season he has been on another level.
He’s not only one of the best in his position in the country (UK) but he’s one of the best athletes, he is fit as a butchers dog and never stops working.

It’s great to have top quality players to watch every week. Not so much with the mentally challengeds this season as they have been dung but Rangers have some great talent. Roofe is the most exciting player at the moment for me, clearly has a knack for the special moment.

Last season Barisic was better than Tav had ever been.

This season Tav is eclipsing him.

I still suspect Borna would go for more money
I think that’s fair. Two seasons ago Tav would’ve went for similar as what Borna could go for just now. In fact, I recall an ITK (May have been Sherbrook or ID10) saying Villa had serious interest and Rangers valued him at around £15m.

Borna is by far the better player. Tav is great dont get me wrong, but he is a rubbish defender.

Stats are fine but if you want a defender who can chip in with goals, assists and importantly defend, its borna for me
The notion Tav is a rubbish defender hasn’t really been true for nearly three seasons now. Granted you’d rather he had more attacking than defending to do but he’s a genuinely solid defender now and I can’t recall the last time he has been ran horrid by a winger.

Barisic has a world class left peg, but his all round game is possibly inferior to Tavs.

Barisic level of crossing is on another level. His dead ball expertise is also a lot more consistent.

However...

Tav is naturally a more physical, faster, stronger, fitter player. Tav is more comfortable on the ball, cutting inside, having a pop at goal or playing a through pass, you'd opt for Tav every time. Tav is more of a goal threat (from open play).

Tavernier is, at least, based on this seasons form, the better more complete player. And I say that as a huge fan of Borna.
Pretty much agree with this, a great summary, what a find both have been, we’re talking £2.5m max for both!!

The notion Tav is a rubbish defender hasn’t really been true for nearly three seasons now. Granted you’d rather he had more attacking than defending to do but he’s a genuinely solid defender now and I can’t recall the last time he has been ran horrid by a winger.

Think you’ve erased a lot of last season from your mind mate and a few from the previous two as well. He doesn’t need to be ran ragged anyhow, just make costly mistakes, which he has done.

Looks solid this season though.

Great question OP & I cannot decide to be honest.

Imagine if you had the 2 of them coming down both flanks? :D We are so lucky.

Think you’ve erased a lot of last season from your mind mate and a few from the previous two as well. He doesn’t need to be ran ragged anyhow, just make costly mistakes, which he has done.

Looks solid this season though.
He does have brain farts, no doubt, but they aren’t really because of getting caught out of position etc. Stuff like under hit passes, whilst costly, aren’t really defensive errors. I realise I’ve not worded this great but it’s 20 to 11 on Saturday lol

When I watch Borna I have a slight fear he will pull up at any time

with Tav I know he is sound

He does have brain farts, no doubt, but they aren’t really because of getting caught out of position etc. Stuff like under hit passes, whilst costly, aren’t really defensive errors. I realise I’ve not worded this great but it’s 20 to 11 on Saturday lol
Ahhh I get what you mean haha. No worried I understand and yeah he’s far better for that sort of stuff now but the brain farts are have always been there and a big concern. Though like I said, this season he’s been, imo, the top performer in the entire league so far.

Borna is the better but he’s had a poor run of games for me seems to have lost 10% from whete he was 8/10 games ago

Tav is enjoying the season of his life, but I think Borna shades it as the better player. Neither are particularly outstanding defensively, but Barasic tends to make less howlers. I think his positioning is slightly better defensively even if he does get caught of of place occasionally. His pace generally allows him to get between his opponent and the goal. However, where he really has the edge for me is that his crossing more accurate and consistent, whereas Tav can sometime blow hot and cold in that department.

Whilst tav had a few howlers defensively last season I feel that part of his game has went up a notch this year(Goldson also) I’d probably say barisic is our weakest link defensively now.

The question is who is the better footballer, not who is in the best form.

Therefore it's Barisic.
Is it though?

Tavernier drives us forward in a way that Barisic doesn't, he takes games by the scruff of the neck from fullback.

Barisic has consistently better delivery but Tav either edges it or wins by miles everywhere else. It's even arguable that Tavernier is our best midfielder when he bombs forward in central areas as mental as that sounds.

Back