JamesTavernier vs Borna Barišić. Who is the better player?

Who is better?

• Tav

• Borna

Results are only viewable after voting.
Borna for me by a distance, far better defensively and his delivery is incredible.

Tav while he has been superb this season, has cost us too many times with lapses defensively. He's still by a huge distance the best right back in the league though.

We're in a very fortunate position to have both.

You know what this place is like. Quite a lot of the people who have spent the last four years screaming "I wank dugs" are never going to admit they were wrong.
Oi - I resemble that remark!

I thnink Borna's probably a "better" footballer but Tavernier's playing much better than him this season, if that makes sense.

I've thought Tavernier's been a complete liability since his first season with us and have enjoyed a couple of holidays from here for saying so. But this season he has been consistently superb, almost completely faultless in every game. Sound in defence, leading the team and marshalling the defence, always available going forward, crossing has been magnificent, reliable penalty taker and he's now become a predator at the back post and a regular goal scorer.

I'm genuinely happy that his form this season is ramming my criticism back down my throat - long may it continue. Anyone saying otherwise needs to take a good look at themselves.

I'd go with Tav, and its definitely not an easy choice, I genuinely think theres very few players in world football physically stronger than Tav

Borna is the more polished player and that for me shaded it. Tav is fantastic, but just lacks that little bit for me. Not a criticism, both fantastic players and Tav has excelled this year as a player and captain.
Lacks that little bit? Honestly don't know what Tav could do any better mate.

Both are fantastic. As a modern full back Barasic nicks it for me (just). He could walk into most EPL teams, though I hope he doesn't. Tavernier could play in midfield and out on the wing with ease.

Good thread as it shows how much people know about football
To put it simply
Barisic can both defend and attack
Tav can attack

Both excellent full backs.

I voted Tav. Barisic has the better delivery, but I make Tav a bit stronger in every other part of the game.

Barisic has a world class left peg, but his all round game is possibly inferior to Tavs.

Barisic level of crossing is on another level. His dead ball expertise is also a lot more consistent.

However...

Tav is naturally a more physical, faster, stronger, fitter player. Tav is more comfortable on the ball, cutting inside, having a pop at goal or playing a through pass, you'd opt for Tav every time. Tav is more of a goal threat (from open play).

Tavernier is, at least, based on this seasons form, the better more complete player. And I say that as a huge fan of Borna.
Great post and I agree wholeheartedly.

I’ve seen a lot of bizarre opinions in my time on FF but for people to actually suggest Barisic is a better all round footballer than Tavernier is up there.

I actually wonder how some people view football. Dearie me.

Lacks that little bit? Honestly don't know what Tav could do any better mate.

Its difficult to quantify, its not something that will show in stats etc.

Put it this way though, I reckon Borna could play for pretty much any top team in any top league and not look out of place. I can't say the same for Tav.

i would say borna has a better left foot and tav right. lol

Impossible to compare. like comparing ferguson to mccall as Hardest player when both were completely different midfielders.

Good thread as it shows how much people know about football
To put it simply
Barisic can both defend and attack
Tav can attack
Ah, I guess a few people who have talked to people that I know that’ve been directly up against Tav saying he is murder to attack against (as well as defend) must not know a lot about football.

Can’t answer this. It’s an impossible question.

Barasic is probably the more complete footballer. But there is nobody in the country covers the pitch more than Tav.

I’m amazed by the number of times we have scored a goal and there next to the scorer bang in the middle of the box is Tav ready to feed on a slip up.

One of the highlights of this season for me is that James Tavernier is now receiving all the praise that he so richly deserves.

Without derailing the thread, Maldini or Sandy Jardine would have struggled to reach their potential with Kiernan, Wilson, Bates, Martin at centre half, and Sean Goss, Toral, etc in midfield.

It's a fantastic question, not one that is easy to answer.

For me it's Tav though. He just gives us so much more in an attacking sense that makes his overall game better IMO. Better athlete as well and just as good defensively as Borna.

That said, I would say Borna' set piece and crossing ability is marginally better than Tav's.

I’ve seen a lot of bizarre opinions in my time on FF but for people to actually suggest Barisic is a better all round footballer than Tavernier is up there.

I actually wonder how some people view football. Dearie me.

First post to this thread highlights the level of knowledge to be honest.

I find it perplexing that anyone could say Tav by a distance when Borna is far less likely to turn around and gift the opposition a goal. Also find it perplexing anyone could give the nod to Tav as a better all rounder when Borna is less likely to give them away up the other end and is clearly better on set pieces and at the very least his equal in respect of putting quality balls into the box. Mystifying.

I find it perplexing that anyone could say Tav by a distance when Borna is far less likely to turn around and gift the opposition a goal. Also find it perplexing anyone could give the nod to Tav as a better all rounder when Borna is less likely to give them away up the other end and is clearly better on set pieces and at the very least his equal in respect of putting quality balls into the box. Mystifying.

To be fair you would be forgiven for finding it mystifying when your knowledge of football is clearly informed largely by your experience of playing Football Manager and FIFA.

Didn't vote. Simply because right now, Tav's form is exceptional and he sure is Borna's equal. Yet, for 2 seasons we have seen another face of Tav that is not. As it stands, I am happy we have them both and both performing well, let's hope Tav keeps it up.

The notion Tav is a rubbish defender hasn’t really been true for nearly three seasons now. Granted you’d rather he had more attacking than defending to do but he’s a genuinely solid defender now and I can’t recall the last time he has been ran horrid by a winger.

I'd agree with you at an SPL level where he's able to recover quickly - given he's faster and fitter than most.

In Europe he's regularly skinned and can't fall back on speed or positioning to recover. That happens less to Borna.

Back