Jamie Murphy will never give up on Ibrox trophy dream

BlueMeanie

JAMIE MURPHY insists he will never give up on his Rangers trophy dream.

The Ibrox winger is currently on loan at Burton Albion and faces an uncertain future.

Murphy, 30, is out of contract this summer but still believes he could make a contribution for Gers.

Speaking to the Athletic, he said: “I said this to my agent and my dad the other day - if my career was to finish now, have I achieved most of the things I want to achieve?

"Yeah, but there is still that bit in you that wants to play more games for Rangers and to score more goals at Ibrox.

"Winning a league title at Rangers would be the pinnacle.

"So if I was to come back and win a trophy with the club, that would be the icing on the cake for my career.

“I’m sure I’ll go back and speak to the manager in the summer and see what the situation is for me.

"I’m just looking forward to be playing again.”

Steven Gerrard's players were criticised for a fragile mentality after their title bid hit the rocks in early 2020.

Murphy had departed for Burton by then but feels he can handle the pressure if he does return.

The former Motherwell star insists his Rangers-daft dad ensured he knew exactly what to expect.

Murphy said: “I felt I was more than able to cope with it as I’ve played in some big games and in front of some hostile crowds.

"My dad has been going to Rangers games for 40 years too, so he has been my critic since I was eight.

"It’s the same, having a fan in your living room to having some in the stands.

"So he gave me a lot of advice but playing with Rangers means people are going to talk about you and write things about you.

"You just need to not read them, so I turned off my social media notifications as soon as I signed and that helped.”

Murphy scored seven goals for Burton in the first 10 games of his loan spell down south.

That led to questions over why he was even allowed to go on loan by Gers in the first place.

But the Scotland cap insists Gerrard was right to let him go to Burton and get back on track after a knee operation.

He said: "This was a move for me to be a footballer for the next five years rather than two years.

“Until you play, you don’t get the real fitness. At a club like Rangers, you need that extra 10 per cent or 20 per cent.

"It wasn’t a frustration. I feel like I’d had to have had four or five full 90 minutes to get to the level of being a Rangers player.

"And we all know five games not up to scratch is not acceptable.

"So it was definitely the right thing to go on loan, prove my fitness and prove I can still be a professional player.”

i think with the current financial situation, there will be no new contracts for anyone who is out of contract

Just a shame when you have guys like Murphy and Docherty who’s attitude and love for the club put weighs their talent, would love nothing more to be proved wrong and them to make it at our club but it’s not enough IMO.

Love anyone who pulls on the blue jersey but if we have plans to win the title we need a few upgrades through the team.
Current squad can match any team in the league but they lack consistency.

Terrible luck with injuries the lad..... its a pity because i would have picked him everytime over jones barker or ojo ..... maybe when the dust settles over this current crisis, with a pre season under his belt, he may be able to contribute to the squad

I think he might get a chance next season, if he can stay fit, as we will be very unlikely to be spending much on transfer fees and extra wages for new signings next season due to the current financial crisis, unless we sell a couple of players for decent money.

I love Murphy and really want to see him do well but think he’s just lost a bit pace to be a left winger for us. Behind a striker or as part of our two number 10s then he’s more than intelligent to play there . Year extension for me

He explained why in the article.

Yeah I read that so Im probably not explaining myself very well, for me he is a better player to have in the squad than say a barker or Ojo - he shouldn't have had the option to go out on load when we could have used him here!

I was still hopeful of him making an impact, going down there and playing every game, coming back to us and having a good pre-season and then kicking on.

Who knows what will happen now.

Absolute cunts Kilmarnock have robbed both us and Jamie. All so they can save a few bob, and cost us a damn sight more.

He would be a squad player next season. But you never know, players can start the season as squad players, and with good performances become first picks.

He should have been given a chance for the second half of this season. Offers so much more than Barker, Hastie or Ojo, Stevie Wonder could see that.

He’s definitely worth another year he’s been able to go down to burton and contribute aswell as getting his fitness up to where it should be, I think he gives us something a little different off the left hand side.

A shame that Murphy got such a serious injury because he would have offered something in terms of his goals and assists but just don’t see him getting back in squad now tbh.

Would rather have him in the squad next season rather than a loan player from English youth system, as he would probably offer more and save paying loan fee to develop a player for someone else.

Murphy fits Gerrard's system infinitely better than Barker and Jones, it's actually quite baffling that he was the one let go.

He definitely isn't good enough to be a starter but he could definitely contribute, it's also healthy to have guys like him in the dressing room.

Back