Jamie Murphy

I'm puzzled as to why some posters claim that Jamie Murphy has more to offer than, for e.g., Jordan Jones. The latter has featured so little because of injury, and also because our manager seems to have taken umbrage at him for reasons unclear to me, therefore any attempts to compare Murphy with Jones are simply invalid

I don't understand all the people saying no. He's a good player, and certainly a better option than some of the dross we had on loan. I'd have him in the squad for sure.

I'm puzzled as to why some posters claim that Jamie Murphy has more to offer than, for e.g., Jordan Jones. The latter has featured so little because of injury, and also because our manager seems to have taken umbrage at him for reasons unclear to me, therefore any attempts to compare Murphy with Jones are simply invalid

Reasons unclear? He got himself injured in a crazy lunge which ruled him out for months so the managers "umbrage" was more than justified!

Didn't realise he had got 7 in 10, that's a great record. Give him a pre season and see where he's at

Kent?! Too far...
Kent better get his finger out this season or its money wasted. Everybody on here was desperate for him to sign, so he needs to prove the faith so many had in him.

I don't think we'll have a great deal of money to throw around. Murphy would be a fine addition and cost us f**k all. He done nothing wrong but get injured, he deserves a chance.

Kent better get his finger out this season or its money wasted. Everybody on here was desperate for him to sign, so he needs to prove the faith so many had in him.

I don't think we'll have a great deal of money to throw around. Murphy would be a fine addition and cost us f**k all. He done nothing wrong but get injured, he deserves a chance.

Kent should be played as a winger and Hagi played as a 10, none of that 2 number 10's nonsense that was bandied about last season.

Murphy has a role to play imo.

Kent should be played as a winger and Hagi played as a 10, none of that 2 number 10's nonsense that was bandied about last season.

Murphy has a role to play imo.
I actually like him as a player. Would much rather get him back in the squad. Put it this way, he'll give it his best effort and I think he should be given the chance. Never know, he may just do us a good turn.

The Jamie Murphy we had on loan 17/18 would do for me, his spell at Burton suggests that he's over the injury at least and he was getting his mojo back. Worth remembering it was not until October/November last year that he was considered 'fully fit', some 14-15 months after the incident. I didn't blame Gerrard for shipping him out on loan, he needed it for himself more than anything, would like to see him given the chance to challenge Kent/Jones etc assuming we're not looking to add in that area.

Reasons unclear? He got himself injured in a crazy lunge which ruled him out for months so the managers "umbrage" was more than justified!

What are you talking about - Jones, at the end of a frustrating loss to our main rivals, and in the heat of the moment - made a reckless challenge in the course of which he got himself badly injured. it wasn't planned, it was just bad luck.

Rash though it may have been, in no way did Jones' action justify Gerrard's subsequent decision to relegate him to the bench. If Morelos for e.g., can miss multiple games through his being suspended for his often petulant behaviour and not suffer any additional sanctions by the manager, why single Jones out for special treatment?

Yes for me, can score goals something we lacked 2nd half of the season when alfie went off the boil. Deserves a chance.

Pre injury he was performing well. Struggled to make an impact/get a chance when he came back from injury and went away on loan and did well. He is easily good enough to be a squad member. Whether he stays or goes will depend on a few factors.

People were saying the same about Greg Doc when he was scoring at Hibs that we could do with him , but the reality is him and Murphy aren’t good enough going forward to get us where we need to be.

I agree, but I think you may find that due circumstances right now, we may be strengthens as much as we need to.Mind you...neither will they.

very unfair comparison. wild infact.
I wasnt for dorrans or murphy at the time.
Here s why, age, no return to sell on, wages, they had made their money and were coming home so to speak, hunger? , not used to winning anything.
Both have possibly cost our club between 5 -10 million.
Both signed around the same time, so the comparison is very similar imo.
I know they are Rangers supporters, however i would a team full of supporters in the early to mid 80s which wasnt fun.

I wasnt for dorrans or murphy at the time.
Here s why, age, no return to sell on, wages, they had made their money and were coming home so to speak, hunger? , not used to winning anything.
Both have possibly cost our club between 5 -10 million.
Both signed around the same time, so the comparison is very similar imo.
I know they are Rangers supporters, however i would a team full of supporters in the early to mid 80s which wasnt fun.
Watched - not would.

I hope he get his chance . We need quality and he is quality. We definitely need some strength in depth as we can't play Kent every game . Much of the problem last season is over using players . No faith in the squad .

Does he still have a future at the club? Still only 30, seemed to enjoy his loan spell at Burton, 7 goals in 10 games (i think)

I think a fully fit Murphy still has something to offer the squad, thoughts?

Definitely a far better option than Jones or Barker.

Much more end product (goals and assists) than the 2 of them put together.

He's a far more intelligent player too.

He was asked to go on loan to prove himself and get match fit and he's certainly done that.

I think he's got a chance of making the squad.

People were saying the same about Greg Doc when he was scoring at Hibs that we could do with him , but the reality is him and Murphy aren’t good enough going forward to get us where we need to be.

Murphy is a far more Gerrard type of player than Doc mate.

He was playing regularly and doing well when Gerrard first arrived, until that horrific injury.

He has the technical ability that the gaffer likes in a player.

Very underrated player who will produce a lot more than some we already have in the squad.
If he has full fitness back I’d certainly give him pre season to see how he does.

If he gets good preseason and can stay fit then I think he can still do a job for us . Wont be a starter but deffo good player to bring on

No problem as keeping him as a back up - Would rather Jamie Murphy coming off the bench than Ojo or Barker.

I've no idea why we let him go out on loan. He's a very good footballer who can score and pick a pass, exactly what we were screaming out for from from January.

Because he hadn't played competitive football for nearly 18 months after a serious knee injury? The plan was to loan him out in the summer but Gerrard decided in the end not to so it wasn't a surprise to see it eventually happening in January.

I like Murphy as a player he has a lot to offer but I am not sure if Gerrard will keep him around. I think we might look to cash in on him with a year to go on his contract.

Murphy should be given a run pre-season and into the start of competitive fixtures. Same goes with Docherty. Otherwise we will never hear the end of it on here.

He’s one of few players in that position for us that has good numbers in terms of goals & assists.

He shouldn’t be in the strongest XI but maybe in and around the squad. Having said that if he goes I won’t be losing sleep.

The injury in which Jones picked up himself for a tackle he didn't need to make? That's why he doesn't feature he only has himself to blame to be honest.

Murphy is a goal threat and has the ability to open up defences something Jones isn't capable of at all.

I think it’s unlikely he’ll get much of a chance but if him, Jones and Barker all got game time in the same position I’m pretty sure Murphy would get the most goals and assists. I think it’s worth keeping an open mind on him after having a good loan spell.

In regards to all the players inc Jamie imo the financial implications due to Covid and no Football yet will dictate who goes and stays, we won’t be letting certain players go for nowt I think it will depend on contract situation and value.

How many games last season did we struggle against a packed defence? He’s a much better option coming of the bench for 30 min in those games that’s the likes of Barker.

Not saying he would be a starter in Europe or against them.

Docherty scoring at Hibs ???? 1
Docherty scoring goals for Hibs 1goal in 6 games wow !!! Murphy scored 7 in 10 at. Burton ( a higher level than Hibs) he needed the loan to get his match fitness back after serious injury which takes time to recover from. Murphy is a level above Docherty and offers us something we don’t have an abundance of that is a goal threat nothing g scoring and creating

I would rather we spent every bit of our resources this year on 3 top quality players that will come in and enhance our starting line up considerably. You would then see 3 guys who were regulars in the starting 11 last season drop down to the bench and become squad players.

This augmented with the likes of Murphy and Jones etc either completing our bench or being part of a 20 man pool is absolutely fine.

We have had some amount of players on wages the last couple of seasons not making an impact.

Guys like Murphy, Jones and McCrorie can come in for 10 games a season and do us a turn if need be. We have always carried guys like that in our squads.

I can see us moving him on now he has had a successful loan and teams will be interested.

Similar to Docherty, I don’t think Gerrard sees him in his plans

No.

At his age he needs to be playing regularly and enjoying his football. He'd get a contract at any other club bar us and the mhanks in the SPFL and would have suitors in league 1 down south. Would be far better served being an important player somewhere else and enjoying whats left of his career. Could have 4-5 good seasons left in him.

I would rather we spent every bit of our resources this year on 3 top quality players that will come in and enhance our starting line up considerably. You would then see 3 guys who were regulars in the starting 11 last season drop down to the bench and become squad players.

This augmented with the likes of Murphy and Jones etc either completing our bench or being part of a 20 man pool is absolutely fine.

We have had some amount of players on wages the last couple of seasons not making an impact.

Guys like Murphy, Jones and McCrorie can come in for 10 games a season and do us a turn if need be. We have always carried guys like that in our squads.

Last sentence nails it.

People can give it ‘quality over quantity’ all they want, but if they’re serious about 60-70 games a season then we need quantity, it’s as simple as that.

The only alternative is seriously considering the prioritising of the other competitions.

Back