Jamie Murphy

We won't be spending a significant amount of money this window imo and getting a similar replacement may be cost prohibitive. I would keep him. He's a lot more creative than what we have in that position imo.

I'd be surprised if he stays next season but only time and a pre-season (whenever that may be) will tell.

He wouldn't be the first out of the door for me. He's a far better option than Barker & Jones.

Give him the preseason and the chance to perform in a couple of games (transfer window and covid allowing of course). If not at the level we need then we sell him

Last sentence nails it.

People can give it ‘quality over quantity’ all they want, but if they’re serious about 60-70 games a season then we need quantity, it’s as simple as that.

The only alternative is seriously considering the prioritising of the other competitions.

100%.

Guys like Jones, McCrorie and Murphy are experienced players in Scotland as well and know what it's all about. If we had to bring Murphy or Jones in 10 games a season to keep Kent or Hagi fresh there should be no issues with that at all, especially against run of the mill SPL sides.

We probably have about 14 or 15 good players just now if we add another 3 on top of that, we should have enough quality to navigate our way through the season and be able to chop and change from time to time to keep the players fresh but also keep the team strong enough to win games in Scotland.

He needed to go on loan to prove his fitness.

scoring some goals for burton doesn’t make you a Rangers starter. Ithink squad at best for him, he is ahead of Jones and Barker.

Yes. He has been directly involved in a goal (scoring or assisting) at least once in every two games since joining. After injury in 10 games on loan he scored 7 and assisted 2. Sure it was league one, but that’s still very impressive for someone playing regular football for the first time in over a year.

He won’t replace Kent or Hagi but could challenge anyone else in our current squad.

Gerrard seemed to play him a lot before he got that injury, he did chip in with his share of goals and assists from that position.

He’s got to be worth a look in preseason. We need something different to unlock teams and he had that prior to injury

I can't wait to see him back, definite quality and goal threat which was severely lacking. He's head and shoulders above the likes of Stewart and Hastie for me

IF he's fit he deserves a proper pre-season to see what he offers.
Can't see him be a starter but if he's fit, he's easily better than the likes of Ojo, Jones or Barker.

We should be looking to get rid of Jones and Barker as soon as possible and bring someone better than those two in to compete.

Kent down the left, Murphy/Jones right and Hagi/Aribo central would do for me.
Ojo will be on his way back to Anfield surely? similarly i dont think Barker/Hastie/Middleton have shown anything to be considered ahead of Murphy

He was sent out on loan to give him a run of games that he wouldn't have been guaranteed here after a lengthy lay off.
It was very successful so why not have him as part of the squad after another pre-season?
I can't think of any of our attacking players (outwith morelos and defoe) that carry as much as a goal threat as Murphy did pre-injury.
He should be given a chance. I know id be much happier with Murphy coming off the bench than Barker, Ojo, Jones or Stewart.

Murphy has to be worth a place in the squad. Would add depth and experience to any team with an obvious eye for a goal.
We could have done with that in the incomplete season past

If I was to guess just now, I’d say no. However for me that would be a mistake, unless we plan to bring in some real quality in his positions.

He’s a better player and more suited to different systems and playing against packed defences than Jones and Barker for starters. I hope he’s given another chance.

I think he deserves a place in the squad and he has the ability to become a starting player.

There's too many snobs when it comes to certain players. People will happily pick Arfield all day long and on the other hand, tell us Jamie Murphy is finished.

It’s a difficult one because after January we were crying out for a play like Murphy who could create and score goals. We saw that he was scoring most weeks in League 1. The teams in League 1 are probably similar in quality to most SPFL sides.

The difference is that teams in League 1 don’t play against Rangers every week. As we all know SPFL sides will raise their game, kick, cheat and do anything to take something from us.

We don’t know how Murphy’s body would have held up in games of that intensity.

What are you talking about - Jones, at the end of a frustrating loss to our main rivals, and in the heat of the moment - made a reckless challenge in the course of which he got himself badly injured. it wasn't planned, it was just bad luck.

Rash though it may have been, in no way did Jones' action justify Gerrard's subsequent decision to relegate him to the bench. If Morelos for e.g., can miss multiple games through his being suspended for his often petulant behaviour and not suffer any additional sanctions by the manager, why single Jones out for special treatment?

I'm talking facts.

Jones' idiotic challenge never relegated to him the bench, he was already on the bench!

What has he done since his self inflicted injury?

The difference between him and Morelos is that Morelos is our best striker.

He literally couldn’t have done any more out on loan - it would be very odd management if he didn’t get a chance.

Far better player than Jones, Barker, Ojo. He should have been eased into the team and could definitely have contributed more. I would keep him for next season 100%

if its a toss up between Hastie and Murphy as a squad player i'd go with youth very time

if its a toss up between Hastie and Murphy as a squad player i'd go with youth very time
Hastie also actually offers something different whereas Murphy won't come on and change a game.

I'd be massively disappointed if we decided to write Hastie off, he is one of the few powerhouse type players that we have.

I think he deserves an opportunity. No doubt in my mind he would have offered as much/more than Ojo and Barker for example. Maybe we're blinded by that spell from January-May 2018 but he was a top player for us.

Hastie also actually offers something different whereas Murphy won't come on and change a game.

I'd be massively disappointed if we decided to write Hastie off, he is one of the few powerhouse type players that we have.

I disagree. Murphy isn't a quick player but he's clever. He's the type of player I'd fancy to come on and nick a goal for us in the last 20 mins, certainly far more than someone like Hastie.

Murphys numbers for us have actually been pretty good. He had the most goals/assists in the country from the Jan - May when he signed for us (outwith strikers).

It's not all about raw pace for our attackers. We play against a low block most weeks, players that are clever, have a good football brain and an eye for goal are more important against teams like that than someone who's just raw pace for me.

I disagree. Murphy isn't a quick player but he's clever. He's the type of player I'd fancy to come on and nick a goal for us in the last 20 mins, certainly far more than someone like Hastie.

Murphys numbers for us have actually been pretty good. He had the most goals/assists in the country from the Jan - May when he signed for us (outwith strikers).

It's not all about raw pace for our attackers. We play against a low block most weeks, players that are clever, have a good football brain and an eye for goal are more important against teams like that than someone who's just raw pace for me.
I agree with your last point but I'll point out that we have Hagi, Aribo and Kent starting every week, Murphy coming on for any of them would be like for like in many ways and he's simply not as good.

It's true that creativity is the most important thing in playing against a low block but in the last half an hour of games where opponents are tiring, throwing someone like Hastie on who's going to get the ball and power his way through to the byline can be very effective.

I'm not opposed to keeping Murphy necessarily but I'd much rather see Kennedy, Middleton and Hastie getting more game time for a variety of reasons

I agree with this but SG and Beale seem to have a preference for pace over skill for our forward players.

In an ideal world we should have seen Murphy and Docherty given games after our form fell away.

Murphy is one of the players that can turn draws into wins.

Reactions: cav
I agree with this but SG and Beale seem to have a preference for pace over skill for our forward players.

In an ideal world we should have seen Murphy and Docherty given games after our form fell away.

Murphy is one of the players that can turn draws into wins.

And as we’ve seen over the past two seasons - regardless of what their FF cheerleaders say - Beale and Gerrard aren’t always right.

He's not good enough to be a regular starter, but he's a better option IMO than the likes of Jones, Ojo and Barker.

I agree with your last point but I'll point out that we have Hagi, Aribo and Kent starting every week, Murphy coming on for any of them would be like for like in many ways and he's simply not as good.

It's true that creativity is the most important thing in playing against a low block but in the last half an hour of games where opponents are tiring, throwing someone like Hastie on who's going to get the ball and power his way through to the byline can be very effective.

I'm not opposed to keeping Murphy necessarily but I'd much rather see Kennedy, Middleton and Hastie getting more game time for a variety of reasons

Our problem is we aren't getting a decent enough return at the moment though when you compare them to their Celtic Equivalents.

We need these guys to be hitting 15 minimum over the course of a season if they are part of our front 3.

To be fair to Aribo he was played out of position quite a lot as well. Or played in a deeper midfield role.

I thought his best football for us was up until the break in December when he had a run playing off the right of our front 3.

Not good enough. The guys starting now largely need to be the squad players, not guys playing in lower leagues in England.

Our problem is we aren't getting a decent enough return at the moment though when you compare them to their Celtic Equivalents.

We need these guys to be hitting 15 minimum over the course of a season if they are part of our front 3.

To be fair to Aribo he was played out of position quite a lot as well. Or played in a deeper midfield role.

I thought his best football for us was up until the break in December when he had a run playing off the right of our front 3.
One thing that I think you have to consider is that Kent and Aribo are 23 while Hagi is only 21, then at Celtic, McGregor is 26, Forrest is 28 and Christie is 25. All 3 have at least 5 seasons playing in Scotland under their belt too.

That's without going into the Celtic players having guys like Rogic to come in and take some of the pressure off vs our players having nobody at all

He’s the best wide-forward in Scotland on his day.

We should give him the pre-season to get fit and show us he still has it. Some short memories on here. He is a class footballer.

One thing that I think you have to consider is that Kent and Aribo are 23 while Hagi is only 21, then at Celtic, McGregor is 26, Forrest is 28 and Christie is 25. All 3 have at least 5 seasons playing in Scotland under their belt too.

That's without going into the Celtic players having guys like Rogic to come in and take some of the pressure off vs our players having nobody at all

Agree with you.

They'll be getting hounded by our fans though if they aren't running amok next season you know how it is.

You can see the threads already in October/November about Hagi being a sh*tebag and a waste of money if we have a few iffy results and he has a wee dip in performance.

Back