Jamie Murphy

He’s the best wide-forward in Scotland on his day.

We should give him the pre-season to get fit and show us he still has it. Some short memories on here. He is a class footballer.
I'm sorry but this is nonsense, Kent is levels above Murphy and that's just one example.

Give him the chance in pre-season and see how he goes. When SG first came in he started the first few games then got the injury.

He showed that he can still do a job for a club when he went to Burton. Whether he is still good enough to play at the level we need him to after his long injury layoff remains to be seen.

It is the old adage that the more a player doesn't play, the better he becomes when the player who starts isn't doing the business.

I always thought he could have been some use to us post-injury but I suspect he will leave as the management don't rate him.

Does he still have a future at the club? Still only 30, seemed to enjoy his loan spell at Burton, 7 goals in 10 games (i think)

I think a fully fit Murphy still has something to offer the squad, thoughts?
Think he is a very decent player to have in squad.

I'm talking facts.

Jones' idiotic challenge never relegated to him the bench, he was already on the bench!

What has he done since his self inflicted injury?

The difference between him and Morelos is that Morelos is our best striker.

Jones was never signed or conceived to be a regular starter - what else is new! Rather, he was always viewed as an 'impact sub' to be brought of the bench.

What has Jones done since returning from injury? - not much actually. But its hard to do much if you aren't given playing time - which is exactly my point!

All great managers are never afraid to drop - even their best players - if they are found to have violated team rules or acted in a way that hurts the team. It's something, for eg., Fergie was never shy of doing.

But if, as you imply, Morelos should be exempt from these rules because he '..is our best striker...', whilst others such as Jones end up being benched - because of one rash action - then you are accepting a clear double standard.

If this is indeed the case its lousy man-management on Gerrard's part.

Give him the chance in pre-season and see how he goes. When SG first came in he started the first few games then got the injury.

He showed that he can still do a job for a club when he went to Burton. Whether he is still good enough to play at the level we need him to after his long injury layoff remains to be seen.

It is the old adage that the more a player doesn't play, the better he becomes when the player who starts isn't doing the business.

But didn't Greg Docherty win POTY at Shrewsbury who play in the same league as Burton, yet he still struggled for game time when he returned to Rangers? I suspect with Murphy, it is as you suggest, more a case of 'absence makes the heart grow fonder.

If Murphy is not good enough to be a starter like so many have said and only good as a back up then he should go.

We need back ups that are pushing the first team and not just sitting waiting for an injury if we are to win trophies.

For me I dont believe Murphy is good enough, just my opinion though

Jones was never signed or conceived to be a regular starter - what else is new! Rather, he was always viewed as an 'impact sub' to be brought of the bench.

What has Jones done since returning from injury? - not much actually. But its hard to do much if you aren't given playing time - which is exactly my point!

All great managers are never afraid to drop - even their best players - if they are found to have violated team rules or acted in a way that hurts the team. It's something, for eg., Fergie was never shy of doing.

But if, as you imply, Morelos should be exempt from these rules because he '..is our best striker...', whilst others such as Jones end up being benched - because of one rash action - then you are accepting a clear double standard.

If this is indeed the case its lousy man-management on Gerrard's part.

We're going round in circles here Jordan, enjoy the bench next season, if you're lucky enough to still be at Rangers that is.

Amazed at the amount of thumbs down in here. A lot of those tossed away points in the back end of the season could’ve been avoided with Murphy s goal threat. A more than adequate upgrade on Barker and Ojo. I’d give Jones another chance too btw.

I agree with this but SG and Beale seem to have a preference for pace over skill for our forward players.

In an ideal world we should have seen Murphy and Docherty given games after our form fell away.

Murphy is one of the players that can turn draws into wins.
^ This is the case I fear for Murphy.Ojo,Jones,Hastie and Barker for all their faults all have pace and this seemes to be a requirement for the way the staff want to set up.
I also think it's why Stewart wasn't given more minutes,which I have to say I think was a bit harsh on him.And I say that as someone who was against us signing him in the first place,but he impressed me with the guile he has to unlock defences at times despite his limited game time.

Yes obviously,a much better option than the likes of Ojo barker and sadly Jones,the gaffer seemed to rate him as well,played him every game before his injury.

^ This is the case I fear for Murphy.Ojo,Jones,Hastie and Barker for all their faults all have pace and this seemes to be a requirement for the way the staff want to set up.
I also think it's why Stewart wasn't given more minutes,which I have to say I think was a bit harsh on him.And I say that as someone who was against us signing him in the first place,but he impressed me with the guile he has to unlock defences at times despite his limited game time.

I also thought Stewart had the creativity. It's an interesting question. I understand the need for pace in Europe or against Timmy if we're looking to win on "the transition" as we now call counter-attacking football. However, do we really need pace when "everyothercunt" comes to Ibrox and sits in.

Reactions: cav
I also thought Stewart had the creativity. It's an interesting question. I understand the need for pace in Europe or against Timmy if we're looking to win on "the transition" as we now call counter-attacking football. However, do we really need pace when "everyothercunt" comes to Ibrox and sits in.
The question I ask myself is : when we're againt ten outfield players behind the ball at home,would I prefer Barker or Murphy to find a way through? Or Jones or Stewart?

I think a bit of guile beats pace in that particular scenario given the level of the players mentioned.
Don't get me wrong,I want to see the likes of a fit and firing Kent one side and maybe a Linssen starting the other-but as options off the bench we could do worse than Murphy and Stewart.

Sadly for both those players I don't think the staff quite see it that way.

But didn't Greg Docherty win POTY at Shrewsbury who play in the same league as Burton, yet he still struggled for game time when he returned to Rangers? I suspect with Murphy, it is as you suggest, more a case of 'absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I'm not talking about the Standard of League 1 level per sae.

I'm saying that we need Murphy to play at a higher standard than he did at Burton. After his injury problems we don't know if he can do that. So give him a chance to get a good pre season under his belt and take it from there.

The difference between Murphy & Docherty was that when SG first arrived, Murphy was one of the starters, Docherty wasn't. Although Docherty has done well at League 1 level with Shrewsbury, I think it's just a case of SG doesn't rate him. He is a decent SPFL level player whereas Murphy has played at a higher level.

Docherty might not be capable of reaching a level that SG expects him to but again he is another one who people were clamouring for when the wheels started to come off earlier this year.

Yes, I said before he left he was a much better option domestically than any of the other front wide players. He scores goals consistently. Kent doesn’t, Hagi doesn’t in the front right role and neither does anyone else.

He must play if fit.

Yes, I said before he left he was a much better option domestically than any of the other front wide players. He scores goals consistently. Kent doesn’t, Hagi doesn’t in the front right role and neither does anyone else.

He must play if fit.
He scored goals consistently during a 3 month spell 2 years ago and at Burton*

Not for me,gets the ball on the left touchline,drifts across the pitch,evades an opponent,drifts further across the pitch,evades another opponent,does this till he ends up bumping into Tav on the right touchline and still hasn't advanced an inch.

And that was before his serious injury.

I'm not talking about the Standard of League 1 level per sae.

I'm saying that we need Murphy to play at a higher standard than he did at Burton. After his injury problems we don't know if he can do that. So give him a chance to get a good pre season under his belt and take it from there.

The difference between Murphy & Docherty was that when SG first arrived, Murphy was one of the starters, Docherty wasn't. Although Docherty has done well at League 1 level with Shrewsbury, I think it's just a case of SG doesn't rate him. He is a decent SPFL level player whereas Murphy has played at a higher level.

Docherty might not be capable of reaching a level that SG expects him to but again he is another one who people were clamouring for when the wheels started to come off earlier this year.

I don't wish to get into the weeds with respect to Greg Docherty, but there are questions that inevitably arise when it comes to his current status at Rangers:

Docherty performed more than well at Shrewsbury - he was their POTY

Aside from the OF, is the SPL superior to League 1?
Hardly, if anything, the standard is actually worse. So, if Docherty could shine in Div 1 why couldn't he be expected to do the same in the SPL?

Could it be that Gerrard doesn't rate him - yes , that could be true, but frankly, our manager hasn't yet demonstrated a talent for developing young players.

Like Docherty, there are presently on the Rangers books, other players who have been signed yet have never featured to any meaningful extent in terms of game minutes. If we presume this is because they aren't good enough, then it doesn't say much for the quality of the Rangers scouting and player development staff.

Like the majority have said he is better than Barker, Ojo and Stewart. If we are getting rid of those 3 which I suspect we will then Murphy is a good solid backup, he has an eye for a pass, he can score and he has experience. That experience would've helped over the inexperience of Barker and Ojo this season who looked completely lost and couldn't handle the pressure.

I would like to think we'll keep a hold of him and let him have a pre season to prove himself. Fully fit and on his game he is very good and gives us options. I would rather him than any wide player bar Kent.

Glad you agree cheers
I don't, pointing out that his goalscoring record is over a period of a couple of months rather than a season.

Calling him the best wide player in Scotland is absolutely mental lol

He absolutely should.

Whether or not he gets a chance is another matter.

Has a very impressive goals/assists ratio in his Rangers career, which is something we are really lacking in the front 3 (outside Morelos obviously).

Showed at Burton he is still quality.
Surely he has to be a better option than JJ and Barker. I think others should go before him.

On a football level I think it's a no brainer to keep Murphy in the squad for next season. The only issue in my opinion would be in terms of how high his wages are and whether the manager thinks he could use those wages better elsewhere.

I don't, pointing out that his goalscoring record is over a period of a couple of months rather than a season.

Calling him the best wide player in Scotland is absolutely mental lol

Really, I didn’t realise I had done that, appreciate if you could show me?

Really, I didn’t realise I had done that, appreciate if you could show me?
My apologies, it wasn't you.

It's post 148 I think. I was half way through replying to that when I decided it wasn't worth it and saw your comment.

Back