jamie murphy

Think he'd be a great impact sub to bring on if we are needing to unpick a deep defence. Quick feet, good first touch, makes space with his own movement, excellent positioning and an eye for goal. He won't get up and down the wing as much as he used to but he'd be ideal to use in games where the opponent is coming to sit off us.

He'd have been a great asset last season, if he hadn't have been in recovery from that horrendous injury and lacking in match fitness so much. Don't understand the negativity around him from some.

He offers goals and assists from midfield.

I would rather have him than Jones or Barker as a squad option every day of the week

Very good record considering the state of the team and the state of the managers he was playing under.

Spot on. He was a constant creative threat in a team with a very soft underbelly.

I don’t really get people talking Murphy down. He scored double figures 4 seasons in a row for Motherwell, even scoring 7 goals in European qualifiers in his time there.

He was also successful down south, his full two seasons with Brighton, they finished 3rd and 2nd in the Championship with him as a regular.

The idea that he's shite is far from the truth.

Do people not realise that most points we dropped last season was to bottom 6 teams?
These shite teams park the bus and we badly missed a player like Murphy who may not be quick but he's clever can link in tight spaces and actually scores goals unlike our other wide players!
He could play a massive part for us this season

Just don’t think he will feature much.Would like to see him play every week but I don’t think Jamie ,Robbie McCrorie or Greg Docherty will be there. :rolleyes:
I’m not sure if you remember but,Jamie Murphy was a great loss for us when he had his deviatating injury,he was pretty reliable
chipping in with a goal, or an assist.Way more than anyone (not named Morelos) we have
right now.
I have been watching our training sessions (closely) since they got going,and no one looks sharper than Jamie Murphy.;)

Strange how underrated this guy seems to be by a large chunk of our support.
A gifted technical player with a keen eye for goal. Keep him fit and he'll score double figures for us next season, even if he's not starting every week.
Players like Hagi make a team. Players like Murphy make a squad

It’s not 2013.

And I want to be clear, I don’t think he’s shite. He’s just not good enough.

He doesn't need to be tbh. He just needs to do well enough when he comes on or in the games he starts. Not all of the players in a squad need to be of the highest possible standard required. In fact, I'd go as far to say it's not really possible on our budget.

He's only 30 and he deserves another chance imo. We'd be hard pushed to shift him with a year left to run on his current deal anyway. He's pretty much the ideal squad player imo. His loan spell before lockdown points to as much.

He deserves a chance. Like so many other players, and almost everything else Rangers related, so many are rapid to shoot them down.

Murphy looked really good in the very, very few games he got before going out on loan.

He never had great pace, but he has a good footballing brain and is a very clever player.

Much more useful against packed defences rather than bringing on Barker and hoping for the best.

He's a good player technically, and there's no doubt that he was effective pre injury but how much of that was down to how poor the rest of the team were I don't know. Also chronically slow but certainly useful to have as a different option, hope he gets decent game time this season.

Follow follow is increasingly turning into a platform to just slag off and disparage our past and present players.
I don't think anyone here is slagging him off mate, in fact most of the posts are fairly complimentary. We need to be realistic though as well, we can't just say that every player we have is wonderful and that there's no need to improve the squad or we'll never win anything.

I don't think anyone here is slagging him off mate, in fact most of the posts are fairly complimentary. We need to be realistic though as well, we can't just say that every player we have is wonderful and that there's no need to improve the squad or we'll never win anything.
I simply wished him well and hoped he pulled the tricks out the bag that do it for us this season. My desire for him to succeed comes from the fact he was a starter in the squad then got that chance taken away from a shite pitch and a shite injury when he was looking good. He’s come back and still looking sharp and fighting for his place. Trust the management to pick the best team, hopefully Murphy shows he deserves to be there

He's a much better back up winger than any back up we had last season. He is comfortably better than Jones, Stewart and Barker. I think he would offer good back up to the wing position this season compared to last

There's a decent bit of negativity on Murphy but my post is in regards to multiple threads, just look at the transfer rumour thread, half The squad gets ridiculed, another thread on morelos to everton some posters are going into great detail and argument to explain why we'd be lucky to see 10M for him. Folk going out their way to target certain players on a totally unrelated thread. Who needs enemies when your see some of the bile on here from so called fans!!

Pre- injury he had played 21 games domestically with 5 goals and 11 assists.
The point I was going to make.

The end product that he had from the wing in the games he played, in lets face it was a team that was an utter mess (especially towards the end of that season) has been something we have sorely missed since Gerrard took over imo.

Even off the bench I think he still has a part to play in the upcoming season.

Murphy will get you goals coming in off the left or the right. I think you would be foolish not to think he will be a useful member of the squad this season.

Is Kent injured?

No Kent and Hagi played the first half and Stewart and Murphy played the second.

Interesting that Gerrard said we were better and more creative second half.

All four of them had decent efforts on goal tbf.

Definitely someone who has the football brain to link with Hagi ,if we need defences to open up then these types of players with intricate footwork on the ball are going to be crucial

Only thing that stands out to me about Murphy.. at time of his injury I was gutted for him & us. He must have been doing something good on the pitch.

anyone know of any feedback on how the loan deal at Burton went

according to stats 7 goals in 10 games, amazing if true.

Murphy will open up defences when the "bus" is parked.
How many of our other "squad" players inspire that statement (whether you agree with me or not)?
I'm hoping he has completely recovered from the horrendous injury he suffered and can give us a full season.

This place is so fickle, Before he got injured he was being destroyed weekly on here especially for his lack of pace..

The fact he was sent out on loan last season would make me think he’s not in the managers plans .

A decent player better than Barker and Ojo for sure .

He was slower than a week in jail before the injury. Let’s face it, he didn’t set the heather on fire either pre-injury.

The amount of people that don’t understand that we need to bring in first team starters is flabbergasting. Bring in first team starters, the current first team sit on the bench, the Greg Doherty’s and Jamie Murphy’s of this world are surplus to requirements.

It’s simple, but many still want to stick with Greg and Jamie because they’re nice guys.

I’m sick of coming second. Time to change.

Totally shat himself at the 0-5 game at the piggery having a panic attack in the tunnel.

Runs like he's dragging a carthorse as well. I genuinely don't get the fuss about him on here. Better than Barker yes. On a par with Stewart for me. Need much much better if we are serious about winning the league

I like Murphy and I think he is good enough to be a squad player. He scored goals and assisted during Murty’s spell when we were terrible so I think he can contribute now.

One concern though is a lot of the things being said about him - can unlock defences, can do it against the jobbers at the bottom, offers us something different - were also said about Greg Stewart and it hasn’t really happened for him.

I wasn't sure when be arrived - but I have to say he wasn't that bad as some claim - in the limited time he played

I'm not expecting him to be our saviour-
But we can't predict what the season will bring with injuries, suspensions or loss of form by more established 1st team choices - & I'd be more than happy to have him as back-up & creating competition for places

We could choose a lot worse than JM in my opinion

Good player to have around the squad. If he’s 3rd choice etc. We need options this season, we were woeful January onwards - no invention and totally pedestrian.

Totally shat himself at the 0-5 game at the piggery having a panic attack in the tunnel.

Runs like he's dragging a carthorse as well. I genuinely don't get the fuss about him on here. Better than Barker yes. On a par with Stewart for me. Need much much better if we are serious about winning the league
He had a panic attack in the tunnel? Tbf we went through a spell where the only players that didn't totally disgrace themselves were our keepers, alnwick and gilks kept the score down in some of those games as much as I hate to think back.

No Kent and Hagi played the first half and Stewart and Murphy played the second.

Interesting that Gerrard said we were better and more creative second half.

All four of them had decent efforts on goal tbf.
Kent created the first goal, was potentially the best cross I've seen him put in the box

That is a huge accusation, do you have a source for that?

Stewart is no where near the player Murphy is.

Back