Jamie Murphy

mandingo

Official Ticketer
Hopefully fully fit for the start of next season after a horrible injury.

Is he good enough for a starting slot?

Of course he is.

Had we not lost him to that horror show of a pitch we might well have still been in this title race.

He has the trickery and ability to do something different in the final third and create something from nothing.

I am convinced that Murphy would have turned a fair few of those turgid draws into wins.

Straight into the team to replace Kent then?

If Kent isn’t staying then I’d say yes. If Kent stays it gives the manager a good headache. All depends how the injury effects him, he may not be the same player I suppose, like so many unfortunately.

Knows where the goal is and we missed his goals tor sure.

Will play some games and also a threat to bring on

I am sure we would not have sold the much derided Windass has we known Jamie was gonna have his season ended a week or two later.

It prompted the purchase of Grezda which looks more and more like a panic buy given the injury he carried over from the season before.

One of a few season defining moments for me.

He was ahead of Candeias On the wing before he was injured so if he can get back to full fitness then certainly

He was getting better game by game at the start of the season i thought so hopefully he can push on when he gets some games behind him. Will be like a new signing when we get him back fit and playing. Definitely has a role to play but id imagine it will depend on who we bring in next season as to whether he will be a starter or not.

I’m worried about how he’ll be after his injury, at his age.

If it doesn’t effect him then yes, he is good enough. I’d still like us to get Kent again to challenge him though.

Murphy failed to turn up in the OFs last year & Kent has proven he can do it on the big stage.

Better player than Kent imo who’d have opened up defences more often. His back heel assist to Windass against Hamilton last season was a moment of pure quality that we rarely see in this league. None of our current starting 11 have that in their locker.

Better player than Kent imo who’d have opened up defences more often. His back heel assist to Windass against Hamilton last season was a moment of pure quality that we rarely see in this league. None of our current starting 11 have that in their locker.

I'm a huge fan of Murphy and from what I've heard he's been the model pro throughout his rehab and will come back stronger than ever next season.

However, I think you're being a bit harsh on Kent.

He's proved in the last 2 old firm games that he turns up and performs at his very best against them.

Jamie has still to prove that.

Definitely mate.

Started the European campaign well and tore Aberdeen apart 1st game of season when Alfdedo got sent off.

He's worked like %^*& on his upper body during his rehab and has put on half a stone in muscle.

Tbh not how I remember his start under Gerrard

I remember thinking how disappointed I was that he hadn’t started well.

Pretty sure he was on the bench quite a bit early on too due to his performances?

That said I do like him and hope he kicks in when he’s back

As has been said we have missed him this season, we would be a lot closer to the poets if he had been injury free.
Looking forward to him returning.

Tbh not how I remember his start under Gerrard

I remember thinking how disappointed I was that he hadn’t started well.

Pretty sure he was on the bench quite a bit early on too due to his performances?

That said I do like him and hope he kicks in when he’s back

Scored v Shkupi, was on the bench I think, v Osijek but was back in starting 11 v Maribor.

Started our first 2 league games v Aberdeen and St Mirren and was then injured in the LC win at Killie.

Was well involved early season mate.

Has a brilliant goals/assists to game ratio since joining.

Wasn’t appreciated enough by the bears when fit imo

However, I think you're being a bit harsh on Kent.
Well I just think Murphy has more quality than Kent, I don't think that's harsh. Kent is much faster. Murphy on the left and Kent on the right would be interesting because Kent's pace could get him in behind the full back and to the byline regularly but Murphy would be more productive cutting inside where you need more quality on the ball.

Well I just think Murphy has more quality than Kent, I don't think that's harsh. Kent is much faster. Murphy on the left and Kent on the right would be interesting because Kent's pace could get him in behind the full back and to the byline regularly but Murphy would be more productive cutting inside where you need more quality on the ball.

Having them both available next season would be a real bonus.

Would have done the nae neck job and chipped in with 12 to 15 goals. Being so reliant on Morelos has been costly to say the least.

Agreed. Other than 2 scintillating halves vs Celtic Kent has flattered to deceive. Murphy has more goals in him

Have no doubt whatsoever he'd have been our clear 2nd top scorer this season.

His goals were sorely missed.

Would have been a crucial player for SG if he had not been crocked by that abomination of a pitch. Would have given us a lot more flexibility during a game due to his ability to play in systems.will be a huge asset next season

Not for me. He is a clever player at this level but lacks the physicality, a bit of pace and also cuts inside too often. He also may not reach the levels of pre-injury! If we don't get Kent back I'd be looking for another left side player to compete with him and JJ

Agreed. Other than 2 scintillating halves vs Celtic Kent has flattered to deceive. Murphy has more goals in him
In my opinion Kent is being played in the wrong position. You should really be a quality passer and shooter to play on the wrong wing cutting inside. Cutting inside you have great opportunity to shoot from distance, finish chances as you drift into a forward's position but also to play incisive through balls and rack up some assists. I don't think it's disputable that Murphy has done those things better than Kent. (except distance shooting which neither excel at)

Kent however has the ability to bag loads of assists from playing the on "right wing". This would take pressure of his passing and shooting ability and make far better use of his pace. In my opinion we'd see him get lots of assists from cut backs.

In any case they are very different players.

Last edited:
He's a smashing player but I have two concerns.

1. Will he be the same player after injury? - I would hope we don't rush him back until he is stronger than before.

2. He didn't go through the journey this season - Our regular squad players will have learned a great deal about what it takes to win in this league, where they definitely did not before.

He is easily good enough. Silly question, he is the one I have felt the most sorry for because he has never had an injury like that in his career and he has came to his boyhood club, played great and a stupid plastic park has cost him a season out where he could have been a massive player for us.

Back