January transfer window?

I don’t see this board or management team standing still. If the finances are there and the right player is available we will make a move.

£8m minimum for him they say.
Not be him then,rumour was they were considering accepting getting their money back for him in the summer past (5.5 million)
But to be fair a rumour is all it was.
We were never able to spend that unless Alfie was sold.

We'd need to get lucky to get someone of that level in if I'm honest,but I hope Ross Wilson can find someone that can contribute more than Jones,Stewart and Barker combined.

Not be him then,rumour was they were considering accepting getting their money back for him in the summer past (5.5 million)
But to be fair a rumour is all it was.
We were never able to spend that unless Alfie was sold.

We'd need to get lucky to get someone of that level in if I'm honest,but I hope Ross Wilson can find someone that can contribute more than Jones,Stewart and Barker combined.
Morelos will be sold on he's the one making the most noise about wanting to leave if we sell him and get buyers for Jones and Stewart we could get Skov Olsen and a Morelos replacement striker while making profit for the first transfer window in a long time i hope we can keep our other key players for longer limit it to one key sale per summer any more would be a big risk in terms of replacing them.

Reactions: cav
The guy has potential, you just have to pull the likes of McGinn and Christie into the debate.

There are decent players to be had from other teams in Scotland.
Spl wingers don't work there used to all the space in the world hit the byline and whip a ball in but hopeless against packed defences where they need more than pace they need a good footballer brain and a bit of trickery. Boyle is s good player and will move on to better than hibs but hes all pace just like jones and look how that's worked out

Morelos will be sold on he's the one making the most noise about wanting to leave if we sell him and get buyers for Jones and Stewart we could get Skov Olsen and a Morelos replacement striker while making profit for the first transfer window in a long time
Personally I think after securing 55 it would make sense to let Alfie and one of Borna or Kamara go if the money is right for us.
I'd be wanting 30 million though with hopefully half going to the transfer kitty and the other half to help with running costs.

If we're hopefully able to secure a couple of pre contracts that kind of money could go a long way especially.

Personally I think after securing 55 it would make sense to let Alfie and one of Borna or Kamara go if the money is right for us.
I'd be wanting 30 million though with hopefully half going to the transfer kitty and the other half to help with running costs.

If we're hopefully able to secure a couple of pre contracts that kind of money could go a long way especially.
For those players you mention it's a minimum of £17 million each for me Borna is at an age where the fee he might fetch would mean that we might aswell keep him and get the best out of him I think one big player each summer could be the way to go hopefully with cl revenue we can keep a hold of them though

There is a ridiculous amount of talent available on a pre contract maybe due to covid players like Marko Livaja and Matej Vydra( a Ross Wilson favourite) would make excellent bargain Morelos replacements as well as the already linked Murphy and Osayi Samuel for the right hand side and Lundstram and Johnston for the Midfield
Marcos Paulo and Santos Borre. If those 2 are seriously available on pre contracts, then we should move heaven and earth to try and sign them up.

Marcos Paulo is seen as one of the best young players in Brazil. He is a big strong left sided attacking player. He is 19 and a Portuguese youth international. There was talk of big money moves to the premier League in the summer.

Santos Borre is the perfect Morelos replacement. He is a year older than Morelos and has a couple of caps for Colombia. He isn't as big and strong as Morelos, but has the same level of workrate and game style and there was talk of him going for 20+ million in the summer.

Marcos Paulo and Santos Borre. If those 2 are seriously available on pre contracts, then we should move heaven and earth to try and sign them up.

Marcos Paulo is seen as one of the best young players in Brazil. He is a big strong left sided attacking player. He is 19 and a Portuguese youth international. There was talk of big money moves to the premier League in the summer.

Santos Borre is the perfect Morelos replacement. He is a year older than Morelos and has a couple of caps for Colombia. He isn't as big and strong as Morelos, but has the same level of workrate and game style and there was talk of him going for 20+ million in the summer.
I think wages would be the issue for these players you mention but there are players on the list (lower end top 5 leagues that are attainable and would be value for money ) looking at videos of Paulo tho he is a talent I'm not sure about the work permit laws

Last edited:
For those players you mention it's a minimum of £17 million each for me Borna is at an age where the fee he might fetch would mean that we might aswell keep him and get the best out of him I think one big player each summer could be the way to go hopefully with cl revenue we can keep a hold of them though
I hope you're right mate and covid doesn't have a negative effect on transfer fees.
CL revenue could be a game changer for us though coupled with selling one major asset player wise per season going forward.

The tide is turning before our very eyes imo.

I think wages would be the issue for these players you mention but there are players on the list (lower end top 5 leagues that are attainable and would be value for money )
With no fee though, it does allow you to offer a higher wage.
River who Santos Borre plays for aren't giving big wages. I think he is on sub 10k.
I couldn't tell you what Marcos Paulo is on but given he is 19, his last contact would've been at 16/17, so I doubt he is on more than 5/6k a week.

With no fee though, it does allow you to offer a higher wage.
River who Santos Borre plays for aren't giving big wages. I think he is on sub 10k.
I couldn't tell you what Marcos Paulo is on but given he is 19, his last contact would've been at 16/17, so I doubt he is on more than 5/6k a week.
I know of Santos Borre and I know his record is good in Argentina but I hadn't heard of Paulo however having watched some videos of him I think he'd be an excellent Morelos replacement may get slaughtered for this but he's very similar to Eduard in style ( the one that can be arsed obviously)

I hope you're right mate and covid doesn't have a negative effect on transfer fees.
CL revenue could be a game changer for us though coupled with selling one major asset player wise per season going forward.

The tide is turning before our very eyes imo.
The tide is turning without a doubt with our record in Europe I want Gerrard to stay for a while yet I reckon he could get us to the UCL regularly over the next 3/4 years If he continues the squads and his own development the way he is currently

I know of Santos Borre and I know his record is good in Argentina but I hadn't heard of Paulo however having watched some videos of him I think he'd be an excellent Morelos replacement may get slaughtered for this but he's very similar to Eduard in style ( the one that can be arsed obviously)
You pick either one up and you are pretty much guaranteed a decent fee, when they move on.

That Paulo though. he's the kind of player, if you nurture him properly, he could end up genuinely world class.

The problem with a January window is you’re unlikely to get good value if you’re looking to buy. No team wants to sell an inform star asset, unless it’s silly money. Likewise the players they want to sell are ones who are struggling for a game for a major club. Now that may suit us if we’re bringing a player in from one of the big leagues but can we offer the same wages as Leeds or Brighton? I’d think not.
I’d like to think one or two loans with the option of signing them in the summer.
I wouldn’t be adverse to shifting on a couple of players, even if it was on loan to get them game time.
Long term we need to replace Davis, McGregor and Defoe. Maybe that’s what we will be looking at in the summer.

The problem with a January window is you’re unlikely to get good value if you’re looking to buy. No team wants to sell an inform star asset, unless it’s silly money. Likewise the players they want to sell are ones who are struggling for a game for a major club. Now that may suit us if we’re bringing a player in from one of the big leagues but can we offer the same wages as Leeds or Brighton? I’d think not.
I’d like to think one or two loans with the option of signing them in the summer.
I wouldn’t be adverse to shifting on a couple of players, even if it was on loan to get them game time.
Long term we need to replace Davis, McGregor and Defoe. Maybe that’s what we will be looking at in the summer.
That's why pre contracts and loan with an option or obligation to buy will be the way forward like Wilson favours

Sebastian Vasiliadis from SC Paderborn 07 would be a great signing his contract is up at the end of the season and he would be a really good option long term to replace Davis seen him a few times last season in Bundesliga and he was a stand out every time don't know if he is on our radar but he should be think he has just turned 23 so could make a profit in the future as well .

For the first time in as long as I can remember I genuinely think we can go into this window in the position of not actually needing to make any signings.

That would of course change were we to lose anyone from the first team squad but I can’t see anyone desperate to leave with the chance of winning the league.

Am I being rather naive?
It’s also a window where we’ll find out if the beasts really do have the pot of gold their apologists never tire of telling us.
It’s win, win for us.
It’s most likely they’ll confirm what we already suspect. They’re skint.
If they do happen to open the purse strings in fruitless desperation, It will f uck them up for summer.

Onwards and upwards.

A few away on loan I'm guessing... Jones, Steward, Edmundson? Can't see Barker going anywhere.

Would that maybe mean we bring in a free agent on a 6 month deal maybe?

I guess Gerrard will want to keep things to an absolute minimum though as this is the first time in years where we have strength in depth and everyone seems to know the system we're playing inside out.

Great position to be in.
Stewart is needed for the home grown quota for the europa league. He'll only go if we're knocked out.

Hopefully celtic fans demand January signings

1) they cant really afford it
2) if they do give in to demands, their track record is usually terrible

It’s also a window where we’ll find out if the beasts really do have the pot of gold their apologists never tire of telling us.
It’s win, win for us.
It’s most likely they’ll confirm what we already suspect. They’re skint.
If they do happen to open the purse strings in fruitless desperation, It will f uck them up for summer.

Onwards and upwards.
More reason to get a couple of signings
It’ll break them.

I like the model of loan with the option to buy in the summer.

All depends on working out deals like that with quality players coming in.

I like the model of loan with the option to buy in the summer.

All depends on working out deals like that with quality players coming in.
Loan with option to buy and,
Cross border deals,
are where the most value is at for us.
That and markets that haven't been fully utilised by some clubs/leagues like the Croatian one,or getting lucky with bosmans.

Aribo,Hagi,Borna and Kamara off the top of my head represent the kind of value I'm referring to already.
(Hagi will come good imo and Kamara was signed on a bosman hence why Dundee just folded for the 50k earlier)

Back