January transfer window?

I think we’ll only bring in if the right player is available and it’s too good an opportunity to pass up, or a player leaves and needs to be replaced.

January window should be about moving a few of the fringe players on and looking for Bosman signings for the summer.

Can't see us splashing out a huge amount in the summer minus a big sale given the accounts so it's important that we do our homework on the best out if contract players available and move early.

Scott Wright from Aberdeen either pre contract or nominal fee

could add Greg Stewart to the mix going the other way

Think it'll be about moving players out rather than in, don't expect to see Greg Stewart or Middleton here much longer, Jones and Edmundson probably in the same boat.

Think it'll be about moving players out rather than in, don't expect to see Greg Stewart or Middleton here much longer, Jones and Edmundson probably in the same boat.
Stewart and Middleton might get a shout on Sunday if anyone goes out the door they have to be replaced.

Think you are right, that will be the extent of it.

But if it is a good players and we can get them for a minimum fee in January instead of the summer that would be worth looking at.

Really removes the pressure from the player coming in and keeps us one move ahead of the (hopefully) rolling 'conveyor belt'.
Agreed, be good to have that player/s settle into the squad early on too.

I can see a lot of loans / pre contract loans between clubs, can't see much money being spent by the vast majority of clubs with the pandemic eating into all club profits.

Clubs will wait until the Pandemic picture is clearer for next season.

Hopefully get that oyasi-samuel signed up on a pre contract and then offer Jones and/or Barker to bring him in early. We really need some quality to cover for Kent and/or challenge Roofe on the right.

We all know Jones is finished and while Barker can do a job, it is the one glaringly obvious weak link in our squad rotation. Every other position in the squad you'd feel relatively comfortable with the player coming in.
At LW if Kent is injured, I'm a bit worried. Barker is miles off Kent and Aribo isn't as good at LW as he is at RW/CM.
Patterson at RB is untested and won't put up Tav's numbers but has showed a lot of promise in his cameo's. So while I'd be a bit worried, I'd be quite excited to see Patterson's development.

Hopefully get that oyasi-samuel signed up on a pre contract and then offer Jones and/or Barker to bring him in early. We really need some quality to cover for Kent and/or challenge Roofe on the right.

We all know Jones is finished and while Barker can do a job, it is the one glaringly obvious weak link in our squad rotation. Every other position in the squad you'd feel relatively comfortable with the player coming in.
At LW if Kent is injured, I'm a bit worried. Barker is miles off Kent and Aribo isn't as good at LW as he is at RW/CM.
Patterson at RB is untested and won't put up Tav's numbers but has showed a lot of promise in his cameo's. So while I'd be a bit worried, I'd be quite excited to see Patterson's development.
100% agreed

Unless the fans saying we don’t need anyone can guarantee we will get no injuries or suspensions till May.

Get the best bosman deals done (Vydra,Murphy Osayi Samuel, Lundstram) then see if we can maybe get Vydra early if Morelos is sold on

I think we should always look to improve. This Jan will be loans, imo, with potential deals agreed. We should let Greg, JJ and Middleton go, either on loan or permanent deal.
Barker will stay along with big George, as Katic won’t be up to full speed until Feb, and Barker adds pace, which forces teams to defend deeper from the off.
All my own personal opinion, of course.

i'd see if Aberdeen fancy taking Edmundson on loan. although with Katic just coming back that would leave us with 3 centre backs. Gerrard did seem like he would forgive the two, which i was highly surprised by as he doesn't seem the type to change his mind. I wonder if his views privately are different, however they looked genuine at the time.
I would like to see us shift non starters out on loan to SPFL clubs.

Jones, Edmundson, Stewart and Middleton.

As stated already.
Aberdeen already have McCrorie, Hibs already have Murphy, Motherwell have Hastie, Ross County have Kelly and Livingston have Robbie McCrorie.

So we can't send players to any of those 5 teams.

Leaves Killie, Hamilton, St Mirren, Dundee Utd and St Johnstone.

There is not a manager in football won’t strengthen his squad fs somebody sticks a couple of million in his back pocket.

Gerrard is no different.

For the first time in as long as I can remember I genuinely think we can go into this window in the position of not actually needing to make any signings.

That would of course change were we to lose anyone from the first team squad but I can’t see anyone desperate to leave with the chance of winning the league.

Am I being rather naive?

short answer is no!

if someone goes due to a massive bid Then they need replaced

I’d expect we tie up one or two bosmans and either Tav or goldson as our business

i wouldn't mind us moving for Jacob Murphy or the QPR winger on a bosman/small fee.
That's the ideal window for me get one of them signed up and move on Jones Stewart and Middleton maybe lot at Vydra on a pre contract aswell he would fit in to our play style and would be a bargain deal if the interest in Morelos resurfaces

I’m content with our squad right now. However, we need to take into account the mentally challengeds will likely spend big in their chase for the tainted ten. Whether or not we go into the market might depend on how much of a lead we have in January, as well as who is available of course. Also if anyone leaves I’d like us to replace them like-for-like.

I don’t think anyone would be surprised to see Jones and Edmondson leave in January (maybe just on loan) so I think we might bring in a couple of loans to cover them. Other than that i don’t see us doing any business unless we have an injury crisis or bids that we can’t turn down come in for someone.

Id loan Jones to Kilmarnock and Edmundson to someone else in the top 6

Hope they do some damage to the scum for us

The only other business I'd be looking is to start on some pre contracts unless something too good to turn down comes up or we get an acceptable bid for Alfie

Edmundson out on loan, ideally to the Championship or a Scottish Premiership side especially with Katic coming back and Bassey able to play centre back.

Sell Middleton, Jones, Stewart and even loan out Barker if it means freeing up wages for a quality replacement who can play as a number 10 or up front (similar to Roofe).

There are a fair few quality bosmans who could be approached in January. No hurry to get them in the door straight away which gives us greater bargaining power.

Aberdeen already have McCrorie, Hibs already have Murphy, Motherwell have Hastie, Ross County have Kelly and Livingston have Robbie McCrorie.

Barjonas - Hamilton
Stewart - Killie
St Johnstone - Edmundson

I would just rid ourselves of Jones tbh. He’s trouble.

Early bosman business would be great, if we can get a bargain as a result like Kamara then even better. Even if it's more like Kilmarnock who yet again cut their nose off to spite their face by keeping Jones for 6 months rather than do business with big bad Rangers, then it still means we can hit the ground running next summer.
Morelos goes? Then you'd hope that money is split between balancing the books and opening up a whole different avenue and value of signing

Edmundson out on loan, ideally to the Championship or a Scottish Premiership side especially with Katic coming back and Bassey able to play centre back.

Sell Middleton, Jones, Stewart and even loan out Barker if it means freeing up wages for a quality replacement who can play as a number 10 or up front (similar to Roofe).

There are a fair few quality bosmans who could be approached in January. No hurry to get them in the door straight away which gives us greater bargaining power.
Hopefully we are still in 4 competitions and you want to go quality over quantity by punting 4 to bring in 1? Brave shout that, especially as we enter the injury stage of the season

Hopefully we are still in 4 competitions and you want to go quality over quantity by punting 4 to bring in 1? Brave shout that, especially as we enter the injury stage of the season

It’s actually 5 I suggested getting rid of.

Ignoring Mebude & Barjonas, getting rid of 5 and bringing in 1 gives us a squad size of 24. More than enough.

Hopefully we can keep hold of our valuable assets until at least the summer. Some fringe players may go. Can't see much movement in or out in January. Perhaps 1 in depending on who goes out. Pre contracts a possibility.

Leaving us in January / must free up £50k a week in wages
Jones
Edmundson
Stewart
Barker

Arriving in January
1 top class wide attacking player - someone to rival Kent but also support Kent so he can get rested from time to time preferably someone who can play on shitty plastic pitches. An upgrade on both Barker and Stewart and the majorly disappointing Jones

I wonder if the gaffer is thinking about more support up front. Alfie is hopefully here til the end of the season, but we need to be looking at the future, and I’m starting to wonder if the gaffer doesn’t fancy Itten as he isn’t really getting a look in. It looks like Defoe is ahead of him for selection these days. Now he dropped out of the Swiss squad I would think he will be looking for playing opportunities sooner rather than later.

For the first time in as long as I can remember I genuinely think we can go into this window in the position of not actually needing to make any signings.

That would of course change were we to lose anyone from the first team squad but I can’t see anyone desperate to leave with the chance of winning the league.

Am I being rather naive?
If SERIOUS money was offered for one of our players...who knows..
but hopefully Mr Wilson will be on top of every possible scenario and have a list of players whom from which we could purchase a replacement.

January window should be about moving a few of the fringe players on and looking for Bosman signings for the summer.

Can't see us splashing out a huge amount in the summer minus a big sale given the accounts so it's important that we do our homework on the best out if contract players available and move early.
Hopefully R Wilson's ' on the ball '.

Loan rules were changed for Covid.
Each club in same division can now have 2 loans from the same club.

There is a ridiculous amount of talent available on a pre contract maybe due to covid players like Marko Livaja and Matej Vydra( a Ross Wilson favourite) would make excellent bargain Morelos replacements as well as the already linked Murphy and Osayi Samuel for the right hand side and Lundstram and Johnston for the Midfield

There is a ridiculous amount of talent available on a pre contract maybe due to covid players like Marko Livaja and Matej Vydra( a Ross Wilson favourite) would make excellent bargain Morelos replacements as well as the already linked Murphy and Osayi Samuel for the right hand side and Lundstram and Johnston for the Midfield
Hopefully Ross Wilson's doing his homework just now

[
There is a ridiculous amount of talent available on a pre contract maybe due to covid players like Marko Livaja and Matej Vydra( a Ross Wilson favourite) would make excellent bargain Morelos replacements as well as the already linked Murphy and Osayi Samuel for the right hand side and Lundstram for the Midfield
Ave got a feeling our business is already done and we know exactly who’s coming in and who’s leaving.

Possibly one high quality loan with jones and edmundson leaving on loan or permanently that will be it

If Edmundson does leave, we'll need to bring in another central defender.

Niko won't be ready to start a first team game before mid March at the earliest, probably.

If Edmundson does leave, we'll need to bring in another central defender.

Niko won't be ready to start a first team game before mid March at the earliest, probably.
Ah I see I though katic would be ready by then I thoygh i read somewhere he'd be back early. If that's not the casevtgen yeah Edmundson would have to stay

Ah I see I though katic would be ready by then I thoygh i read somewhere he'd be back early. If that's not the casevtgen yeah Edmundson would have to stay

Hoping to be back in full training sometime in January mate.

4 weeks of pre season training and then having to gain match fitness won't see him back much before mid March imo.

That's the ideal window for me get one of them signed up and move on Jones Stewart and Middleton maybe lot at Vydra on a pre contract aswell he would fit in to our play style and would be a bargain deal if the interest in Morelos resurfaces
Vydra just signed an extension to 2022

Reactions: fmp
I would like to see us shift non starters out on loan to SPFL clubs.

Jones, Edmundson, Stewart and Middleton.

As stated already.
I'd add Barjonas to that list.

Then try to get a wide attacker on loan,preferably with an option to buy if possible.

Five out,one in but of a much better quality.

Back