January transfer window?

Lainey Love

For the first time in as long as I can remember I genuinely think we can go into this window in the position of not actually needing to make any signings.

That would of course change were we to lose anyone from the first team squad but I can’t see anyone desperate to leave with the chance of winning the league.

Am I being rather naive?

Only going to bring players in who would go right into the first team, which is what Gerrard has said. Can’t see any movement, really don’t need it unless we replace the likes of Morelos, but only if the right price is there, probably for any player that is.

I agree in that unless we can get someone who would go straight into the first team, or we get a spate of injuries between now and then I wouldnt be bringing anyone in

I wouldnt let anyone go either, even fringe players. You never know when you might need them

I imagine we will only add if their is a significant sale and we want to fill that gap or a genuine target becomes available soon than anticipated.

Other than that I would think the only deals to be done will be Bosman signings if we have any on our radar.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone would be surprised to see Jones and Edmondson leave in January (maybe just on loan) so I think we might bring in a couple of loans to cover them. Other than that i don’t see us doing any business unless we have an injury crisis or bids that we can’t turn down come in for someone.

I don't see the core squad being tweaked much, but if there were value upgrades on the fringe players then I could see that.

The likes of Stewart and Barker are never going to be starters, so if there were better options for a similar wage who could be pushing for a role, I could see those sort of moves.

I can't think of anywhere we really need to strengthen at the moment. Possibly cover for right back?

More worried about a big offer coming in for one of our star players.

Reactions: TQ3
A few away on loan I'm guessing... Jones, Steward, Edmundson? Can't see Barker going anywhere.

Would that maybe mean we bring in a free agent on a 6 month deal maybe?

I guess Gerrard will want to keep things to an absolute minimum though as this is the first time in years where we have strength in depth and everyone seems to know the system we're playing inside out.

Great position to be in.

We should be using every transfer window to try and improve IMO.

Planning ahead and bringing in one or two players each window allows them time to settle in whilst being able to welcome offers for our most valuable players.

I understand people won’t want to hear it, but we are a selling club. We must make sure that when we do sell it’s doesn’t weaken us significantly.

At the moment I don't think we need to strengthen our squad but we should be looking at 1 or 2 players signing bosman deals.
Possibly trim some players who aren't going to be part of the squad.

really???

What positions would you be focussing on?

Replacement for Morelos? Even though he may not leave until the summer, it would be negligent not to be exploring options at the first opportunity (ie January)

I don’t see us doing much business in January to be honest but it would be extremely naive to think we can’t get any better than we currently are so we don’t need to strengthen.

Perhaps a replacement for Jones (even a loan). For whatever reason, this guy is offering us nothing. We’ll be trying to get rid, hence we should try and recruit a replacement who will contribute.

Last edited:
I agree the squad is strong but if we move people on in January I would expect a signing of some sort, in this current climate you just don’t know what’s round the corner as we’ve seen with Jones and Edmundson and Patterson also out due to no fault of his.I,m sure the management team have contingency plans for quite a few scenarios so I’ll wait and see how things pan out.

I understand people won’t want to hear it, but we are a selling club. We must make sure that when we do sell it’s doesn’t weaken us significantly.

Totally agree. You only have to look at the accounts to realise that if we sold Alfie, that balances the books for a year (in simple terms).

Would we, could we sell one of the star players in January? Alfie, Borna or Kamara would be the obvious ones and I'd argue of those three we could cope best with Morelos going as things stand.

really???

What positions would you be focussing on?
Looking at the squad i think the area we could do with strengthening is a replacement for Barker/Jones/Stewart.

One decent player replacing those 3 could make a huge difference.

I don't see us doing anything though unless we sign a pre contract/free/loan or we sell one of our big players and re-invest some of the fee.

Primary focus should be moving on some of the fringe players then possibly look at the loan market to bring in 1/2 to add quality

Only real positions I think we’re short is another winger (Barker/Jones/Stewart aren’t good enough) and cover in the RB/LB positions - possibly someone in the mould of Whittaker who used to be able to cover both positions

Think the main moves we make with be Bosmans though

Replacement for Morelos? Even though he may not leave until the summer, it would be negligent not to be exploring options at the first opportunity (ie January)

I don’t see us doing much business in January to be honest but it would be extremely naive to think we can’t get any better than we currently are so we don’t need to strengthen.

Perhaps a replacement for Jones (even a loan). For whatever reason, this guy is offering us nothing. We’ll be trying to get rid, hence we should try and recruit a replacement who will contribute.
Cant see us purchasing another striker unless one leaves mate

Morelos
Roofe
Itten
Defoe
Stewart

already plenty of options, would you not think that Itten has been purchased as one for the future.

Looking at the squad i think the area we could do with strengthening is a replacement for Barker/Jones/Stewart.

One decent player replacing those 3 could make a huge difference.

I don't see us doing anything though unless we sign a pre contract/free/loan or we sell one of our big players and re-invest some of the fee.
Good shout, although I dont think Barker will be going anywhere

I still think another wider player instead of jones/Barker on loan if we can ship out Stewart, Jones and edmundson.

Hagi is for future.

I would like to see us shift non starters out on loan to SPFL clubs.

Jones, Edmundson, Stewart and Middleton.

As stated already.

Reactions: cav
Just about every club looks to strengthen at every transfer window. Whether the right individuals come along is another matter.

For the first time in as long as I can remember I genuinely think we can go into this window in the position of not actually needing to make any signings.

That would of course change were we to lose anyone from the first team squad but I can’t see anyone desperate to leave with the chance of winning the league.

Am I being rather naive?

Anyone decent that doesn't require a large fee cant be ruled out, we have Champions league next season that will be massive for the club to qualify for

i'd see if Aberdeen fancy taking Edmundson on loan. although with Katic just coming back that would leave us with 3 centre backs. Gerrard did seem like he would forgive the two, which i was highly surprised by as he doesn't seem the type to change his mind. I wonder if his views privately are different, however they looked genuine at the time.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few bids in the January window for Kamara and I imagine there will be interest in Aribo, Kent, Barisic.
I agree with above, shell out fringe players on loan. Maybe time to look at potential pre contracts or replacements for JD. Other than that, I don’t think we need any major reinforcements, unless we get unlucky with injuries which could happen.

I agree the teams in a good place, however I’m sure RW will be keeping an eye on potential bargains via cross border/out of contract methods, for next season onwards.

Morelos
Roofe
Itten
Defoe
Stewart

already plenty of options, would you not think that Itten has been purchased as one for the future.

I’m sure I said a replacement for Morelos, but you’re right, we won’t be bringing number one just for the sake of it.

But you’ve just reminded my of another player who contributes zero. Greg Stewart!

Both he and Jones should be punted at the earliest opportunity (if we can find someone to take them) and replaced with loans or a signing who will provide us with a serious option for pitch time.

Anyone who thinks we won’t or don’t need to consider recruitment options in January needs there heads looked at.

If we are still in a strong position league wise I think the management team will have one eye on getting replacements in early. Gerrard himself has always said transfer policy is always moving and I think that doesn't matter if we've a perfect squad at that moment. Anything can happen in one window and leave a squad short so best keep adding if it's available and makes sense. We all know that offers will come in for a few of our players in January and in the summer so I'm sore they will have their replacements in before they go or have a good idea who's replacing them. I really trust our recruitment now and how they seem to have an eye for great talent at good money.

I would add a right sided CB just in case of anything with Goldson. We have no cover for any injury of suspension.

possible look at the players that are available to sign for free that are refusing to sign extension with current club with the view of looking to next season.

If we can move on Stewart, Jones, barker and any the other back ups and bringing in stronger competition I would do that also.

All depending on available funds.

it goes without saying if we lost a high value first teamer I would want them replaced

Patrik Hrosovsky was linked in the summer.

Think there was another similarly named player who was linked too a month or so back, can't remember the name.

Maybe we'll do what we did with Roofe. Linked with him at Leeds, couldn't get him, then sign him when he's at Anderlecht.

Maybe do something similar with the likes of Niklas Dorsch or Guirassy in the future.

We were also linked with Tyrese Campbell and Bright Osayi Samuel.
Wonder if these are the types of players we'll be looking at in January.

Depends on outgoings obviously. I do think we’ll maybe see a couple pre contracts signed which might end up pushing it through so a club would receive a small fee.

I think we will do deals in January, with a view to them being replacements for those we allow to leave in the Summer, maybe even pre contracts. If we bag the league title I could see us cash in on a few of our first Team.

If someone who would improve us is available, get them. If not then no need to change things.

Provided we can keep hold of everyone.

Morelos
Roofe
Itten
Defoe
Stewart

We’ll probably be 3 strikers short at the end of the season
Good chance Stewart could leave in January
It would be criminal if we didn’t sell and buy in January

Depends on outgoings obviously. I do think we’ll maybe see a couple pre contracts signed which might end up pushing it through so a club would receive a small fee.
Think you are right, that will be the extent of it.

But if it is a good players and we can get them for a minimum fee in January instead of the summer that would be worth looking at.

Really removes the pressure from the player coming in and keeps us one move ahead of the (hopefully) rolling 'conveyor belt'.

Back