Jason Cummings scores on Australia debut

Cummings is an Ozzie?

International football really is a joke. Nationalism makes no sense in the modern world. They be as well making up the teams from the leagues the players play in. Makes as much sense as playing for your granny’s country or the place you’ve lived for a couple of years.

Cummings is an Ozzie?

International football really is a joke. Nationalism makes no sense in the modern world. They be as well making up the teams from the leagues the players play in. Makes as much sense as playing for your granny’s country or the place you’ve lived for a couple of years.
John Souttar's brother, Harry who is Scottish, plays for Australia as well. Their mum was also born in Australia.

I think most probably agree that you should have to be born in the country to qualify playing for them. Nigel Quashie is the first one I can remember playing for Scotland who wasn't actually born here, sure there would have been people before him though.

Shouldn’t he have been fighting with the crowd, I thought that was obligatory for Scottish players who move to Oz.?

John Souttar's brother, Harry who is Scottish, plays for Australia as well. Their mum was also born in Australia.

I think most probably agree that you should have to be born in the country to qualify playing for them. Nigel Quashie is the first one I can remember playing for Scotland who wasn't actually born here, sure there would have been people before him though.
Not sure that would be the case. Parents should be as far back as you go.

Aye, wasn't Nacho Novo a whisker away from being selected for the Scottish national team?

Not that Scotland had an excess of brilliant players on those days...

Andy Goram
Don Masson
Richard Gough
Bruce Rioch

Bruce Rioch was the first to Captain Scotland ( mid 1970s ) whilst not being born here

No chance Nigel Quashie was the first. Gough, as born in Sweden & McCall & Goram were born in England

Good on him for getting the call up and scoring. Hope it goes well.

He’s got some really shite face fluff going on there. Beards being “fashionable” at the moment has led to people who should never have one, attempt an atrocity like that. Get it shaved lad!

Was his not something to do with residing in Scotland for over 5 years or something?
Yep. Having not played for Spain at all, he'd need 5 years of residence before being declared elegible.

But I'm not sure if both parts agred to being fully interested. Especially the SFA.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t he have been fighting with the crowd, I thought that was obligatory for Scottish players who move to Oz.?
You mean this Scottish player!!

Making a January move from Dundee to Australia has proven to be a pretty good move for him. Fair play to him.

Good look to him. Always gets caught up in mad situations but looks like he’s doing well for himself in Australia.

My mate just mentioned him the other night. The time the boy from Clydebank launched him in the pool and he ended up signing for us the following season.

The smug hindsighters love bringing this up don't they? Conveniently forgetting not only was Morelos nowhere near the player he is now, he'd also took a huff after not getting a move in January and had scored once since the winter break that season

No "smug" hindsight from me.

I never wanted him signed and other than one season in the Championship with Hibs, he's been ordinary at best, wherever he's played.

Ridiculously overrated by many on here.

I have no ill feeling to the lad but he was struggling to get a game for a relegated Dundee side last season.

Australia must be a very poor side if he is every in with a sniff of making their World Cup squad.

No "smug" hindsight from me.

I never wanted him signed and other than one season in the Championship with Hibs, he's been ordinary at best, wherever he's played.

Ridiculously overrated by many on here.

Just annoys me when people bring that up as if it was 19/20 Morelos and he was banging them in every game. Cummings wasn't much better granted, but they were our options at the time. I'll never forget that horrendous Morelos miss against the scum in the 3-2 game at Ibrox. Still haunts me to this day.

Just annoys me when people bring that up as if it was 19/20 Morelos and he was banging them in every game. Cummings wasn't much better granted, but they were our options at the time. I'll never forget that horrendous Morelos miss against the scum in the 3-2 game at Ibrox. Still haunts me to this day.

No argument from me that Morelos wasn't at his best mate, but Kenny Miller and Windass were still massively superior options to Cummings.

Their goalscoring records (particular in big games and Miller's especially) was good.

Fair play to him.

No way I’d have believed you if you told me that he’d be going to a World Cup 4 years ago after that 5-0 game at the piggery

I remember reading this a wee while ago.

In Scotland, my time in Hibs, winning the Scottish Cup, that was magical. It hadn’t been won in a lifetime, even longer, so to win that was special. Then we got them promoted to the SPL which was good because I had been part of the team that relegated them as well so it was good to come full circle.
“But when I went to Rangers, even now, to this day, I can’t believe I played for them. They are that big a club. I am just proud that I played for them.

Aye, wasn't Nacho Novo a whisker away from being selected for the Scottish national team?

Not that Scotland had an excess of brilliant players on those days...
Amo was as well but think he featured at a lower level for Italy - possibly a B international that scuppered him.

However, I'm sure there used to be a "gentleman's agreement" among the home nations FA's that none of them would pick anyone who gained British citizenship through residency. Might have been another barrier.

Of course, we're talking 20+ years ago here.

Our players, Morelos included, looked utterly petrified of Parkhead at the time and Cummings at least had a bit of a gallus streak. I can see why people wanted him in the team.

Imagine the Cumdog at the World Cup. That would be sensational.

Our players, Morelos included, looked utterly petrified of Parkhead at the time and Cummings at least had a bit of a gallus streak. I can see why people wanted him in the team.

Imagine the Cumdog at the World Cup. That would be sensational.

Exactly my point. It seems daft to say now but in March/April of that awful Murty season there wasn't much between the pair of them (or being more honest they were both offering as little as the other). It wasn't until Gerrard and co come in Morelos went several levels up.

No it doesn't.

No it doesn't.

Oh yes it fucking does. It was right in front of where I sit in the Copland front for one thing, and we should've beat them that day. Not only did we bottle that game but we spiralled in to a frightened mess of a side who went on to lose 4-0 and 5-0 in our next two games against them. So yes, it still gives me the shivers.

Oh yes it fucking does. It was right in front of where I sit in the Copland front for one thing, and we should've beat them that day. Not only did we bottle that game but we spiralled in to a frightened mess of a side who went on to lose 4-0 and 5-0 in our next two games against them. So yes, it still gives me the shivers.
I really don't know what that says about you then.

I don't enjoy watching us getting pumped off our rivals? Wouldn't have thought it was that difficult to figure out.
A game that happened 4 and a half years ago.
We've played group stage European football every season since.
Won arguably the best title in our history.
Reached a European final.
Watched the guy who missed that sitter become our record European goalscorer.
Current Scottish Cup holders.

Aye, it was shite at the time.
I'd say I'm over it though.

A game that happened 4 and a half years ago.
We've played group stage European football every season since.
Won arguably the best title in our history.
Reached a European final.
Watched the guy who missed that sitter become our record European goalscorer.
Current Scottish Cup holders.

Aye, it was shite at the time.
I'd say I'm over it though.

And I enjoyed all of that just as much as you, and fully appreciate we are miles ahead of where we were then as a team and as a club. That doesn't mean I shouldn't look back on those days with anger however. I feel the same about any season we were miles off it.

Back