Jean-Pierre Adams: The Player Who Never Woke Up

drgriffen

On the 17th March 1982 Adams, the former French internationalist, went for a knee operation. He's still to wake up. An article from the Blizzard detailing this sad tale.

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/sleeping-giant

03-Jean-Pierre+ADAMS+Panini+Nice+1976.png

Jesus that story is horrific. A routine operation and it went all so wrong. He's now 70 and still in a coma.

Absolutely tragic story.

“Jean-Pierre feels, smells, hears, jumps when a dog barks. But he cannot see,” his wife confirmed in an interview with Le Parisien in 2007.

I'd want put out of my misery in that situation. Definitely a case for euthanasia being something the medical establishment should be allowed to decide on rather than his wife. It's admirable how she's spent her life looking after him but I cannot imagine a bigger nightmare than being in some state of consciousness but being unable to do anything at all for myself.

On the other hand I can understand why his wife wouldn't trust the word of the medical establishment considering their fuck-ups robbed her man of any quality of life in the first place. What a sad situation for them both.

Whilst I never saw Adams play, bit before my time, I did see his defensive partner, Marius Tresor. He was a good player. If what is stated about Adams was accurate then it would have made a formidable combination with Adams' athleticism and Tresor's all-round game.

I can't believe I've never heard this before.
Same, although it happened before my time I would have thought I would have come across this story at some point before now over my 30 years following football.

Amazing.
I used to read World Soccer avidly throughout the late sixties and well into this new century.
I cannot recall reading about this.
Maybe I did and have forgotten, but I honestly cannot recall this mentioned before this thread today.

What a tragic story for the player and his family.

Back