Jean Pierre Papin

Phenomenal volley technique.

Ridiculous amount of first time finishes as well.

On his volley for Bayern in that video, I loved their old Olympic Stadium. Just looked like a proper football ground. Iconic.

Good post OP. I had a fake AC Milan top as a boy with Papin 9 on the back.

Last edited:
Phenomenal volley technique.

Ridiculous amount of first time finishes as well.

On his volley for Bayern in that video, I loved their old Olympic Stadium. Just looked like a proper football ground. Iconic.

Good post OP. I had a fake AC Milan top as a boy with Papin 9 on the back.
Great striker of the ball, I had that Bayern top, Cracking top it was.

Always mind him in the Milan team with Van Basten, some player.
Mind watching them beat Gothenburg 6-0 away in the European cup, the team were outstanding with Gullit and the rest. sure they won it that year.

Sure they beat Gothenburg 4-0 with Van Basten getting a hat-trick in 92/93 when we were in the other group.

Last edited:
He was ruined in Milan by the three foreigner rule at the time. Van Basten, Rijjaard and Gullit were normally the first choices with Papin not getting as many games as he should have. Boban and Brian Laudrup also affected by that.

I expect pelters from some for this - but he always reminded me of McCoist, but just up half a notch. Both quite wee, low centre of gravity, strong, used their bodies well, deceptively quick over those first few crucial yards and natural born finishers.

Glad he never left us in his prime, but at times I wonder exactly where Ally could’ve gone in the game if he’d fancied a move (back) down south or to Europe, when he was at the top of his game.

Back