Jean Pierre Papin

Loved the wee man when I was a kid.
I remember he scored a belter again England (?) at Euro 92 & we all tried to recreate it in the playground the next day.
Was that the outside of the right foot finish bending to the corner? great finish!

Always knew how to find the net, usually with his first touch, great power and also quite often in a spectacularly acrobatic fashion. Great video of a great player.

Last edited:
Did not not leave Marseille the summer before we played them?

I think so, but they then had Voller and Boksik so not bad.

Van Basten came on as a desperation substitute in the final against Marseille I am sure. Rushed back from an ankle surgery and never properly recovered.

What a player.

I love watching those goals scored into different nets back then that for me, defined the stadiums.

Always hated the top round stantions right enough because of the piggery. Hampden lost it's soul when it reverted to them.

A name I hadn’t heard for a good while but memories of getting a pair of boots with his signature on the side when I was about 12,they were made by a company called ligne 7 or something similar, anyone confirm.?

Always reminds me of the friday night scotsport with Jim White. They had a European round up and JPP was always banging goals in for Marseille.
Yeah, back then there wasn't much football never mind seeing foreign football on the telly and it all seemed so exotic and ten times as exciting as the exhausted non-stop diet of today.
Less is more as they say.

Strange thing is, even taking into account how good he was at the time, and he was exceptional, he probably wasnt even the top 10 of European strikers at that time, which is frankly, scary.

A name I hadn’t heard for a good while but memories of getting a pair of boots with his signature on the side when I was about 12,they were made by a company called ligne 7 or something similar, anyone confirm.?
I had a pair of his boots made by Patrick early 93, first time playing in them broke my leg and never worn again!

Papin was one of my favourite players growing up, loved seeing highlights of him and Waddle on Saint and Greavsie.

Strange thing is, even taking into account how good he was at the time, and he was exceptional, he probably wasnt even the top 10 of European strikers at that time, which is frankly, scary.

Papin was ballon d'or winner in 1991.

Agree, there were some cracking strikers around at the time tho.

Some player .... even before i watched the footage all i could remember was all he ever scored was spectacular volleys and when you see the footage there are a ridiculous amount in it ....amazing finishes.....but there are some other smashing goals in there too

I had a pair of his boots made by Patrick early 93, first time playing in them broke my leg and never worn again!

Papin was one of my favourite players growing up, loved seeing highlights of him and Waddle on Saint and Greavsie.

Had the same boots. Certainly didn't make me play like him.

I feel sorry for Papin as he was born at the wrong time.

Born 5 year earlier and he would haave bene in the 1984 French European Championship wining team.

Born 5 years later and he would have been in the 1998 French World Cup winning team

Loved that Marseille strip and shouting his name myself up the grass at Cross Arthurlie school on the rare occasion i scored

There was quite a famous Renault advert on the TV at the time.

Every time a commentator would excitedly shout "Papin", I would respond "Nicole" with similar gusto.

Unbelievable looking back that the French team he played in failed to qualify for 90 and 94 world cups as well as the euros in 96.

I always remember my Dad coming home from work saying the rumours were that Papin was signing for us. This went on for weeks
Yeah, I remember that at the time too, and being really disappointed when it didn’t happen . . . a bit like the Gabriel Batistuta rumour around the same time.

Back