Jeremy Wisten - ex Man City youth

Sad to hear. I remember Halliday saying after Rangers released him as a youth that he didn't play for six months. It must be so difficult for these kids getting let go at that age after putting in so much work to get that far.

Clubs need to do more to look after young players so many of them fir example Chelsea look at them as a commodity not a person

Shocking but sadly not confined to young footballers . Something about the way the young are raised today that makes them think they are worthless . Far far too many taking their own lives .
Thoughts with the lads family and i'm sure City and his ex team mates will be just as gutted .Sad

That’s brutal. God bless him.

I suffered the whole release part at the age of 16 and although it was tough, I knew it was coming. I often spoke to my dad on journeys to and from training about players who were better than me, so I just enjoyed it whilst it was there.

Nowadays these young guys know they can be set for life without achieving much tbh. Horrible to think that the mindset says their is no future away from football.

A lot of presumptions and miss information on this thread.

Club’s nowadays, especially ones like Man City do loads to help youngsters prepare for their next steps prior to and after being released. They all have a duty of care for them and they make sure they have something to progress with.

To suggest they let this lad leave without any support is nonsense. What hasn’t helped is other clubs not being able
to recruit due to current circumstances and likely why the lad was without a club.

Tragic news but let’s not blame the club here.

Club’s nowadays, especially ones like Man City do loads to help youngsters prepare for their next steps prior to and after being released. They all have a duty of care for them and they make sure they have something to progress with.

To suggest they let this lad leave without any support is nonsense. What hasn’t helped is other clubs not being able
to recruit due to current circumstances and likely why the lad was without a club.

That's a great point. Will edit my post mate.

Club’s nowadays, especially ones like Man City do all they can to help youngsters prepare for their next steps prior and after being released. They all have a duty of care for them. To suggest they let this lad leave without any support is nonsense.

You are correct mate. Unfortunately we've built a culture where celebrity in all its forms (footballer, social media star, etc) is pushed as the be all and end all. Kids (young men in particular) need to be taught that actually, life is far more than women, success and money. That actually life is about the ride. The highs and the lows, and that you can come back from a set back.

It is utterly tragic what is happening to society. Young women held up to unachievable standards of beauty, encouraged by magazines and filters. Young men who believe that success means you cant fail at first. Nothing could be further from the truth, but life experience taught me that. Unfortunately the youth of today don't have that benefit, and they are subject to constant scrutiny due to 24/7 social media, where you get no refuge from a mistake or a failure.

I dont know the answer, but In my job I know what the sad reality is, and as a society we must do more. Ever young life lost is a genuine tragedy

Sad news this.

I don’t think the money/lifestyle in the game that these youngsters get an insight into helps when it’s taken away from them when they’re so close to making it.

Young players today are bought and sold like commodities. Needs fixing.

As a father it would be enough to have second thoughts about young lads away.

Rest in peace young man.

Taken his own life aged 17. Apparently suffered depression after being released by the club.

So important for clubs and indeed society at large to look after and pay attention to the mental health of young men and women, especially during this time.

Two years ago I think he was released.
Is there a Scottish connection?

The amount of 'balloon releases' and 'bench installations' my 16yo niece has been to in the last three years is astounding.

Its self-perpetuating.

This is not a football matter, this is a societal pandemic for this generation of kids.

Back