Jermain Defoe - 4th Most Popular Footballer In The UK

Jan Žižka

Jermain Defoe is the fourth most popular footballer in the UK, according to a recent study.

YouGov have collected data over the past year to find out the most 'popular contemporary football players' in the country.

Over 7000 people were interviewed and the Rangers star, on-loan from Bournemouth, is ranked near the very top of the list.

Only Gareth Bale, Lionel Messi and Harry Kane are listed ahead of the striker, who has played for the likes of Spurs, West Ham and Sunderland during his 20-year career.

The report states that 35% of people have a positive opinion of Defoe , 8% have a negative viewpoint and 30% neutral. 73% of the public who were interviewed had heard of the former England international.

It's not just Defoe's impact on the pitch that means he's held in such high regard. His contributions off the pitch have been widely applauded after he helped raise awareness for the late Bradley Lowery, during his time at the Black Cats.

The 37-year-old formed a special relationship with Lowery, who bravely battled neuroblastoma, a rare childhood cancer.

The Ibrox forward has been in superb form for Steven Gerrard 's side this season with 12 goals to his name, the Premiership 's top goalscorer as things stand.

Our Jermain. Not only one of the two best strikers in the country (arguably the best based on pedigree but that's for another day) he's just a class person.

giphy.gif

Jermaine Defoe is a class act. After everything he done for young bradley and his family was outstanding. His reputation would have went up with most for that.

Wee man is a class act. It is an absolute privilege to call him one of our players. Unbelievable ambassador for Rangers Football Club. To have both Jermain Defoe and Steven Gerrard representing our club at the same time is absolutely fantastic. The exposure and interest they will be generating Worldwide will be invaluable and can only help build our brand up.

Gerrard knew what he was getting when he went for Jermain Defoe...a true professional that would positively affect the team, the supporters and the club.
The man is a perfect fit for a club like Rangers, just love the wee guy!

I still find it hard to believe :))

It's amazing we have managed to attract these big names to Scottish football.

They're loving being at the club, and this isn't even what I consider 'peak Rangers' yet. For me, peak Rangers is when we are the Scottish champions and playing in the CL group stage.

This time next year, that might just be a reality.

Jermain Defoe is the fourth most popular footballer in the UK, according to a recent study.

YouGov have collected data over the past year to find out the most 'popular contemporary football players' in the country.

Over 7000 people were interviewed and the Rangers star, on-loan from Bournemouth, is ranked near the very top of the list.

Only Gareth Bale, Lionel Messi and Harry Kane are listed ahead of the striker, who has played for the likes of Spurs, West Ham and Sunderland during his 20-year career.

The report states that 35% of people have a positive opinion of Defoe , 8% have a negative viewpoint and 30% neutral. 73% of the public who were interviewed had heard of the former England international.

It's not just Defoe's impact on the pitch that means he's held in such high regard. His contributions off the pitch have been widely applauded after he helped raise awareness for the late Bradley Lowery, during his time at the Black Cats.

The 37-year-old formed a special relationship with Lowery, who bravely battled neuroblastoma, a rare childhood cancer.

The Ibrox forward has been in superb form for Steven Gerrard 's side this season with 12 goals to his name, the Premiership 's top goalscorer as things stand.
I love him

Gerrard knew what he was getting when he went for Jermain Defoe...a true professional that would positively affect the team, the supporters and the club.
The man is a perfect fit for a club like Rangers, just love the wee guy!

Jermaine is a gentleman, as others have said we are honoured to call him a Bear.

However fair to say he would not be at Ibrox if SG was not our manager. SG is the catalyst for us getting both the numbers and quality of players at Ibrox in past 15 months. Can't wait to see what rabbit he pulls out of the hat come January.

Neither bale nor Messi are in the UK so he’s the 2nd most popular

Defoe is a top man, who appreciates his good fortune. I am so looking forward to the rest of this season. Ooh ahh . . . . . .

It's not just the fact we love him being at Rangers.

It's the fact he loves being at Rangers too.

Surprised Kane is above him tbh, I would've thought most other English fans dislike him due to his constant diving?

Thought the majority liked Beckham as well?

Some guys 'fit' a club. Represent their values so to speak. Before him, Greame Souness and Ray Wilkins spring to mind. It's not just Rangers. Griffiths is a perfect fit for Celtic as is Lennon as their manager.

Of all the players to pick from Ched Evans is at number 87 on that list!

So there are only 86 footballers in front of a convicted rapist in a player popularity contest! Christ, who have they been asking these questions??

I think it was a stroke of genius signing him and hope that when he retires as a player Rangers take him on some other capacity and keep him at the club.
Still brings a tear to my eye when I think of everything he done for that wee boy Bradley Lowery, that is the kind of thing you cannot falsify, the care and love that he showed him during his very short life was absolutely unsurpassed.

Back