Jermain Defoe's Rangers commitment as incredible wage cut revealed- Record

In this day and age of money, self centred me.me.me.com Z list celebrity bullshit, we have a a man who is 100% genuine in what he believes in and loves.

Jermaine Defoe has restored my faith in humanity in not chasing money etc. He has done almost everything in the game and prior to joining us, I would say every football fan had an admiration for him as to how he has conducted himself as a professional and caring for those less fortunate than himself. The wage cut exemplifies this.

He is a fabulous human being with so much dignity and respect for others, the shameful bastards that are Sutton, Hartson, Walker et al should look at this man and his behaviour and be monumentally ashamed of themselves and their behaviour towards fellow professionals and human beings, in particular Alfredo Morelos.
Brilliant post mate

F’in love JD, absolutely delighted to have him here. Just shows how far we have come the last couple of years.

What a great commitment if true. This guy is a fantastic role model for the younger and established players at the club.

The fact is he wasn’t going to get the type of money he is on at Bournemouth. So the real story is the difference with what others were offering and us . It may be 5-10k per week and that is not as big a drop .

far bigger drop than that as he’d likely be attracting attention from bottom end EPL trying to avoid the drop and top end Championship trying to get into the play offs. Either of those would be perfectly content paying him not too far off what Bournemouth were

I get the impression that we don't see even half the benefits he brings to the club, young players, etc.

He was never going to get the money he was on at bournemouth and if he can't get a game for bournemouth (Don't understand why), then his options will be Rangers, championship or China.

Defoe doesn't need the money and I don't think he'd go to China. Championship is below rangers and he won't really achieve much there.

That leaves Rangers where he can continue to get game time in Europe, win titles and cups and play at the highest level still at a team he clearly loves & wants to finish his career with & possibly move into coaching/management.

Was a no brainer really, anyone could see that he was staying at rangers a mile away. He might not get as much game time as he'd like but at his age I'm sure he's more than happy to get the game time he's gotten - after all he's played in 17 matches this season in SPL alone. That's not exactly a low number.

What a diddy comment. If he was on £65k it's quite a drop to come down to £23k. Especially when someone of his standing could go to China and get £150k

it is quite a drop but hes earning in one week what some people make in a year. Money obviously isn’t a concern for him so that has worked in our favour.

I appreciate that Defoe is enjoying his time at Rangers and hope his time here will be a successful end to his wonderful career.

my “he’ll survive“ comment was only relating to the ridiculous wages that modern footballers now earn!

Totally agree mate. A really astute piece of business by Stevie G.
It's one of the reasons I can't understand that refs comments about him on twitter. Saying he liked seeing him stretchered off.
Defoe doesn't seem like someone that would be hated.

I'd like to hope that Defoe will take up a coaching role with us. Can't be a better striker and role model for the young lads to learn from.

It's one of the reasons I can't understand that refs comments about him on twitter. Saying he liked seeing him stretchered off.

But he plays for us so he is fair game.

Because that ref is a mentally challenged bstard from the Clancy school of refereeing

I took a 50% pay cut one in order to have a better quality of life. Money ain't always the deciding factor.

Simple no matter how they raise themself up in life to a position of trust etc, their true colours will always show like a rusty on a pristine post.
The hate ousies out of them like puss they are incapable of being unbiased and no matter what he will always be a scumbag no mark who will end up in a gutter.

Definitely future coach,we are bleesed to have such a top man fall in love with our club

Delighted to half him on board. I wonder if he's getting groomed to eventually take over from SG when he goes to Liverpool?

Jermain Defoe's Rangers commitment as incredible wage cut revealed

The veteran is understood to have turned down more lucrative offers in England to agree a one-year deal with Rangers.

BY GORDON WADDELL

23:15, 25 JAN 2020UPDATED20:38, 25 JAN 2020

(Image: Rangers FC/PA Images)

Jermain Defoe has taken a
massive 65 per cent pay cut to stretch his stay at Rangers by another year.

The striker has signed a pre-contract deal to join the club permanently from Bournemouth when his current loan expires
in the summer.

MailSport understands the 37-year-old has passed up more lucrative offers from down south – and sucked up close to a £3m hit on his current EPL wage – to get within the Ibrox pay structure.

Defoe has notched 24 goals in 48 games – 16 of them this season – since arriving last January.

And as he put pen to paper, he said: “I’m just delighted, to be honest. When I first signed, as I’ve said many times, it was an easy
decision because I’ve always known about the size of this club, the history and the great players.

“So to get it all sorted
out and secure my future here for another year is really special.

“I’m delighted, my family are happy and to have an opportunity to play for this club is special.”

Steven Gerrardhas been working to get the deal over the line for the past month after securing another season from fellow veterans Allan McGregorand Steven Davis.

The Rangers boss told
the club’s website: “It’s fantastic news.

“It’s something we have been working on over the weeks and it is great to finally get that done and dusted.

“It’s great news for all the supporters and everyone connected with the club for many different reasons.

“Jermain is an incredible professional with the way he goes about his work on and off the pitch – he is a credit to himself and his family.
(Image: SNS Group)

“And also on the pitch, which is the main thing, he is still contributing heavily.

“He is a major part of
this group, this team and this squad. Hopefully, together we can go and share some success as I think he deserves that.”

Rangers sporting director Ross Wilson added: “Jermain is a wonderful professional and character.

“Having his quality
and experience in our squad is not only valuable on the pitch but he is also a huge influence and example to our young players aspiring to represent Rangers in the future.”

Superb stuff.

He loves his playing environment, and why not?

Gerrard is running things well and there appears to be a great spirit in the dressing room.

Back