Jermaine Defoe wants to stay.

Much though I love JD it would be madness to keep someone on 20k a week (or whatever) who only comes on very occasionally. We need to spend wisely for the upcoming season.

He certainly looks to have what it takes for coaching, but in all honesty he still has to prove it. I think we could do a lot worse than sign him up for another year and put him through his coaching badges and see where that leads us.

His goal/minutes ratio must be frightening. Anyone know what it actually is?

When he got the ball today there was still a lot to do but was there anyone who doubted what the outcome was going to be?
There is no other player in the squad that Id rather see get the ball in that position than hiim
I think there is a place for him next season as he is useful to have as an option and a great example and influence on the younger players

His close control and composure in the box is amazing. Add to that world class shooting accuracy. Absolutely amazing player. If he is sensible in wage demands, I'd love to see him stay. Could imagine him being a very good manager in the future too.

If Morelos and Roofe stay, I'd be happy to keep Defoe for another year on his current deal.

This season we haven't needed him - only in very few games were we really pushing for a winner or equaliser late on (both cup games, Motherwell away in the league where he almost managed a winner, good save from the keeper). We've generally scored first in every game and seen it out.

Next season could be different. If we find ourselves dominating games without being able to break the deadlock, I doubt we'll find a better replacement.

The guy oozes class. Only he would score the goal against the Tims and that mob today. The delay in pulling the trigger to get his shot away was absolutely top class. A proper player

Much though I love JD it would be madness to keep someone on 20k a week (or whatever) who only comes on very occasionally. We need to spend wisely for the upcoming season.
If it’s about money then it won’t happen but I get the feeling he will accept a deal on reduced terms.

Most gossip I have heard around his wages suggest he isn't even in to five figures weekly. I would also consider what his influence is like in terms of professionalism and approach to training and winning.

I think Defoe has been more than worth every penny we have paid him in team bonding alone.

It is a wise investment when you consider his numbers for his occasional appearances he is still very prolific in front of goal

Without knowing how many dolla he’s getting - it’s difficult to say........

I tend to say we could be spending that elsewhere

He rarely misses the target and makes it look easy the way he passes it into the net. If we were watching YouTube videos of a wonder kid from South America scoring a few of the goals he has scored this season we would be drooling. Only Ryan Kent would have scored the goals last week and this week.

Love the wee man. A true professional who can pass on so much to the younger players. Get him signed :)):cool:

His goals to games rstio must be some stat. Id even like to see his shots to goals conversion rate. he’s unbelievable always hits the taget. What a mentor he must be for the youth

I said this in another thread but JD is an amazing player yesterdays goal was just brilliant its like the ball is always super glued to his foot in the box no matter what and his finish is just class. Would love to see him another year for us he gets the goals when he comes on and has the experience to lead us for our 56

Most teams benched striker isn’t really as good as the starter, doesn’t match their goal threat, and is seen as a last resort, but not with JD on the bench. He carries a threat all the time when he is on the field, he scored some lovely goals, and turned defenders in to fallen mannequins. That will cost a lot of money to replace!
Add to that, the influence he has on the first team, never mind the youth, players like Aribo call him Uncle, something we Scots do with our closest friends and our kids to indicate these folk can be trusted. My best mates are called uncle in my house to my daughter, and I am Uncle TQ3 to their kids. That is how much he means to the first team, he has become their family. I say give him a 2 yr deal, with coaching as the next step in his Ibrox career.

Every time he comes on he scores. He's done it against the tims as well. It's really hard to argue against him staying. You need a player who you can bring on to win you a game if your plan A isnt working.

For me, Defoe needs a new contract immediately

He really deserves another year.

A rich man's Kenny Miller.

(that's a compliment, honest!).

He is one of my favourites at the club.I love his attitude and how he applies himself.He is a perfect role model for young guys at the club.Himself and Steven Davis are the type of seasoned pros we need about the training ground and I really hope he stays on.Wish we had got him a few years younger.

He isn't a starter in our system but can come on once games are stretched and score goals as he has in the last few games. I doubt he'll get those type of chances in the first half of matches when teams are camped in more, but he's lethal once space appears. He looks pacier than Morelos now (though that's a different discussion) so he still seems to be defying his age.

On the downside, presumably next season we go back to 3 subs from 7 so there may be fewer sub appearances to go round.

For me I'd offer him a reasonable deal but I'd be up front with him that he's likely starting as 4th choice and I'd understand if he wanted to play more elsewhere.

I think he would be wise enough to be offered and accept a lower deal.

His coaching prowess is there to see in the videos that have been shared and will bring on the talents of our youth players and improve Roofe, Alfie, Itten, Sakala etc

Back