Jermaine Defoe

If he didn’t have the name, we’d certainly be questioning what he brings to the team. He can finish as he showed at Aberdeen but outside of that moment he’s contributed very little.

Lafferty did more today in his short spell, and he wasn’t great either.

Problem seems to be we can’t adapt to anything other than a 4-3-3 and Defoe at his age will always struggle to play through the middle on his own.

We definitely should have brought in someone more suited to that role.

To me Defoe isn,t suited to the type of football played in Scotland.it also do an,t help that the manager plays him as a loan striker.a position in my option he is suited to .if we play Defoe he needs to be played in a front two.do that and I think he,'ll get us goals.

Correct Op, he has rarely lead the line as a lone striker, he is an out and out poacher, if we give him half a chance it's a goal. Our biggest problem is we can't offer him the service he needs, i think Alfie and Defoe can lead the line together.

Why did we sign him if he doesn’t fit our system?

It was stupid short term thinking. We seemed to jump at the chance of a big name because he wanted to come without any idea of how he’ll fit into our system. I thought maybe Gerrard would have a plan. But evidently not. We’ve shoehorned him into a system he’s never played in in his life. The management team have to take the fall for this. Poor.

Trying to be constructive here as he has obviously had a great career but for me he cannot lead the line.he is more of a poacher and would benefit from playing with another striker.
He’s always been a poacher , that’s what he is and we knew this when we got him. Give him good service and he will score , don’t ( like today ) and he’s not going to do much , he’s not going to change the game on his own like Morelos can , he’s a penalty box player. This isn’t criticising Defoe btw , I like him and in a good side he would bang the goals in.

To me Defoe isn,t suited to the type of football played in Scotland.it also do an,t help that the manager plays him as a loan striker.a position in my option he is suited to .if we play Defoe he needs to be played in a front two.do that and I think he,'ll get us goals.
This “ isn’t suited to the type of football “ is nonsense , give the guy a chance he takes it , that type of player suits any game , he’s a poacher , but players like him need service. You telling me he wouldn’t have scored for Celtic playing against that st Johnstone team today ?

The problem is playing him as if he's Morelos. Defoe is great at what he does, but he's not Morelos. It actually shows us Morelos' true worth, he's a genuinely top striker because he makes Defoe look useless.

This “ isn’t suited to the type of football “ is nonsense , give the guy a chance he takes it , that type of player suits any game , he’s a poacher , but players like him need service. You telling me he wouldn’t have scored for Celtic playing against that st Johnstone team today ?
If that's what you think then who am I to tell you differently.

I don't know how much we can expect from him. His best days are long behind him as with Davis

If he didn’t have the name, we’d certainly be questioning what he brings to the team. He can finish as he showed at Aberdeen but outside of that moment he’s contributed very little.

Lafferty did more today in his short spell, and he wasn’t great either.

He has contributed little because we are playing him as a lone striker when everybody knows defoe needs to be part of a two. He's just an out and out scorer. I'm sure the manager knew this when he signed him. If you play defoe you change the system it's that simple.

Find Defoe in good positions and he will score.

He was never really a player who conjured up goalscoring opportunities for himself.

The service he received yesterday was criminal.

He has contributed little because we are playing him as a lone striker when everybody knows defoe needs to be part of a two. He's just an out and out scorer. I'm sure the manager knew this when he signed him. If you play defoe you change the system it's that simple.
Another fair point.

Seems a crazy move to sign a player that doesn’t fit into the system he wants to play then. As I say, if his name was not Defoe we’d be asking what the hell the manager was thinking about bringing this player to the club.

We don’t play enough of the game in the final third to warrant Defoe playing on his own. His game is all about poaching in and around the box.

You telling me he wouldn’t have scored for Celtic playing against that st Johnstone team today ?

This is it for me. He would score plenty for them due to the number of chances they get in behind. As a footballing team, creating chances, we are absolutely horsesh!t.

Morelos gives us the odd bit of brilliance which has pulled us up this season. As long as we rely on guys like Tav, Arfield, Candeias, Jack, Grezda, Middleton, etc., we will be a poor team more often than is acceptable. Rarely passing forward into space, little intelligent play, poor deliveries from wide areas, absolutely no goal threat... Kent to an extent falls into that catagory also. We are genuinely crying for Jamie Murphy to be fit again as he at least cuts inside and has a dig!

Back