Jerry Thompson - Carrick Rangers

Mass72

Footballer in Northern Ireland, it would seem this poor young lad has taken his own life today. He was named in the Carrick Rangers starting 11 tonight only to be changed out minutes before kick off. Noticed a few of our former players in NI posting on the matter on twitter.
Utterly tragic, where and when does this epidemic become a bigger priority?

Sorry OP im confused.
Was he named and swapped out duento this tragedy of was he swapped out and then this occurred?
Not that it makes any difference as the young man has lost his life.
Just trying to get my head round why he may have done this.
Thoughts with his family and friends.
RIP young man

Sorry OP im confused.
Was he named and swapped out duento this tragedy of was he swapped out and then this occurred?
RIP young man
Not 100% sure, just know it was changed just before kick off, whether he hadnt turned up or was sent home I really dont know.

Not 100% sure, just know it was changed just before kick off, whether he hadnt turned up or was sent home I really dont know.
Either way tragic.
I just wish people would talk.
Its not a sign of weakness. Took me an age to realise that and i am a lot happier about talking about issues etc now.
Need players to really take a lead on this and promote talking to each other, especially young men.

Absolutely heartbreaking poor young lad, being a professional sportsperson is very hard, being in the public eye, makes you think about some of the criticism some of our players are subjected to, especially the youngsters, so sad

I see a young English rugby league player died today, Natalie Harrowell. Only 29, suicide as well.
Becoming endemic in the younger members of society. Terrible.
Been there with mental health. Just talk, people. Please just talk.

And yet you have people like Tom English sniding at Ryan Jack for crying. Young people shouldn't be afraid to show their feelings or be upset.

Really sad news a young talented footballer gone it really is an epidemic so many young lives lost in such a tragic way awful especially at this time of year thoughts are with his family and friends and everybody at Carrick Rangers

It's not actually that new a thing, this rate of suicides. Sure, there's been peaks and troughs over the years but in general it's been quite high for decades. It's taken far too long for anything to be done about it considering the sheer amount of people who commit suicide. If a treatable illness was taking this many lives it would be sorted over night. Well suicide is preventable I suppose, however that should play in the conscious of the higher powers who haven't paid attention to the issue.

It's not actually that new a thing, this rate of suicides. Sure, there's been peaks and troughs over the years but in general it's been quite high for decades. It's taken far too long for anything to be done about it considering the sheer amount of people who commit suicide. If a treatable illness was taking this many lives it would be sorted over night. Well suicide is preventable I suppose, however that should play in the conscious of the higher powers who haven't paid attention to the issue.
Agreed and well made points.

What's the answer then pal?

Heartfelt feelings to the young lad and his poor family. The only thing that surprises me is that the game went ahead.

People shouldn't be linking mental illness and crying because you lost a football match IMO.

RIP

I wasn’t. It was more about the pressure young people live under. Especially in the public eye. Not everyone who commits suicide is riddled with depression or has a mental illness. It can be just one thing that tips them. That’s why people say it’s ok to not be ok, let it out or to talk about it.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

What's the answer then pal?

Access to services which show insight into sports specific situations(not sports psychologists), club/organizational culture, positive relationships with coaches, planning for life after football, avoidance of booze/coke, identification with team, screening for illness and settled home life. Some options.

What I do know is that, at one time, the railway authorities had a policy of not announcing suicides to be such. The perceived wisdom was that if someone was vulnerable then publicising that someone had thrown themselves under a train would only encourage others in the same dark place to think, “what a good idea”. And copy.
Suicide also directly affects those who discover the body, who witness the suicide, but also those who see the aftermath

Sorry OP im confused.
RIP young man

From reading the Carrick Rangers Twitter, it appears the boy was initially named as a started but didn't appear and was replaced. Players from both sides told of his passing just after the game, horrible for all involved.

What I do know is that, at one time, the railway authorities had a policy of not announcing suicides to be such. The perceived wisdom was that if someone was vulnerable then publicising that someone had thrown themselves under a train would only encourage others in the same dark place to think, “what a good idea”. And copy.
Suicide also directly affects those who discover the body, who witness the suicide, but also those who see the aftermath

There seems to be more suicide awareness now than ever before, more counselling outlets, people being encouraged to talk etc. but has it had any influence on the number of people who take their own lives? It is certainly an uphill battle for those who are trying to help. I worry about social media when someone who is in a dark place sees all these lovely tributes being made to a suicide victim and then maybe thinks that is the path they want to take.

Back