Jesus Christ! Now Dave King wants the club to love Club 1872 and let Chris Sutton back in!

He wants his money back, but also wants to retain a voice through Club 1872.
As for his take on Sutton , I think he is like a lot of rich people " Do as I say not as I do".

Banning Sutton really isn't a great idea imho, if anything it just gives him more oxygen and makes him look a bit of a martyr.
Totally agree. I think it’s petty and counterproductive.

King though doesn’t have a leg to stand on though as he banned McLaughlin and Speirs. He’s also miles off if he genuinely still believes Club 1872 has any chance in hell of buying those shares. They are a complete irrelevance now and that isn’t changing until there’s a clear-out.

What must asked , here despite all the noise and pseudo threats .

Is what has prompted this fall out between him and the board and the reason for the obvious mistrust of each other that seems to have developed over the last 18 months .

There is a reason and nobody is saying so the hypocrisy of what Dave kings actions and words over the last 3 months or so mean nothing to me if he is working an agenda as looks clear.

What has this rangers man fell out with the bunch of rangers men who control the club .

I will be grateful for Dave king for stepping up but he was one of many who did whatever is his problem now and it's obvious there is one he should tell us straight instead of all this drip.drip to the media haters of us in Scotland I find that very disturbing and indeed a bit tasteless.

There is no doubt unless as he has eluded to many times hiding the truth from.the fans is not on but he is becoming increasingly a purveyor of what he fought against.

So the question is here .

What is the real issue ?

I hope it's not money I would find that very disturbing and distasteful.

But overall I find this very sad

I don’t think its very hard to work out, King is trying to sell his shares via club 1872, for what seem noble reasons in trying to give the fans a say, but from the outside looking in, Club 1872 seem to have lost the backing of the board, support of a lot of members, or potential contributors, for whatever reason.

King puts that blame solely on the Rangers board, but it seems to be a bit more complex than that and club 1872 has to sort itself out first and foremost, then the board couldn’t ignore them, if thats what they’re doing.

I never get involved in the fan group stuff, constant aggro, but that is my take on what seems to have happened.

Totally agree. I think it’s petty and counterproductive.

King though doesn’t have a leg to stand on though as he banned McLaughlin and Speirs. He’s also miles off if he genuinely still believes Club 1872 has any chance in hell of buying those shares. They are a complete irrelevance now and that isn’t changing until there’s a clear-out.
And also banned klaxon Jackson

He doesn’t say much wrong in that interview.

"The idea that the Club can silence challenging supporters, reporters and regulatory authorities is not only wrong, it is completely unbecoming of Rangers.
This part especially. The relationship between the board and fans is not great.

Happy clappers will lap up their every word. But plenty are not happy with the treatment and lack of respect shown towards the normal.

Taken for granted is the phrase used quite often on here, on social media and at games.

Most recent example is the silencing of the SLO, one of the only avenues the fans have to speak to the club. The disdain is off the chart at times.

Not the best example but I appreciate your point.

Pundits have a job to do up and down the country and us banning Sutton in my opinion is ridiculous
His ridiculous sneering isn’t his job though, in fact as go as far as to say it’s wholly unprofessional.

I also get your point, I’d rather we weren’t banning journalists, even those who make points I completely disagree with but in the case of Sutton, he’s a sneering, condescending prick.

Banning pundits is embrassing he is correct there.

We laugh them at them hating Boyd. Yet we banned Sutton from our ground.
yup, groupthink in here needs a wee shake. Our dealings with the media have started to resemble fan pandering that just makes us look parochial and small time.

Shareholder criticism of the board - where constructive - is something we should always welcome. King might ultimately be wrong but if the board aren’t under reasonable scrutiny how will we know?

yup, groupthink in here needs a wee shake. Our dealings with the media have started to resemble fan pandering that just makes us look parochial and small time.

Shareholder criticism of the board - where constructive - is something we should always welcome. King might ultimately be wrong but if the board aren’t under reasonable scrutiny how will we know?
Is it reasonable though?

Mind blowing some in this thread are saying its bad to ban Sutton.

He is employed north of the border for 1 reason, to demonise everything Rangers.

And people want the club to open the doors and let this guy in?
Are we actually silencing Sutton? No we’re not because BT just broadcast from elsewhere. It just looks petty and as a big club we should be able put up with media figures we don’t particularly like. If Celtic banned Kris Boyd first plenty on here would’ve called it petty and small time.

Are we actually silencing Sutton? No we’re not because BT just broadcast from elsewhere. It just looks petty and as a big club we should be able put up with media figures we don’t particularly like. If Celtic banned Kris Boyd first plenty on here would’ve called it petty and small time.
Should the club allow him to broadcast from inside an empty Ibrox (in the corner between Main Stand and Copland) for the ‘early’ game (bheggars away in Europe) then walk along the track while Ibrox is full, prior to our kick off, to access an office within the Broomloan? Or do you think it’s reasonable to suggest that might cause an issue?

Is it reasonable though?
our general attitude to the media isn’t conducive to finding out. That’s really my point.

i don’t think there’s a great problem one way or another yet but i do get increasingly uneasy about the media stuff. Just in general, given what has happened to us in the past 10 years, teaching fans to distrust the media as a whole is problematic.

One of these days something negative could start happening again, where would a whistleblower go to get it out there? Story appears in The Times, for example, fans all immediately assume it’s mhedia bias, privileged fan media tell us it’s nonsense (because they’re told it is, not because they know it is)…

Warts and all, i’d prefer we were just open to all media

sick of him. He adores the sound of his own voice

wish he would just bugger off from us completely, he's like a woman scorned

Pundits have a job to do up and down the country and us banning Sutton in my opinion is ridiculous
He's a prick. If he had one shred of impartiality or decency or anything resembling a redeeming feature then I might agree with you.

He’s ruining his legacy the more he opens his mouth. It’s pathetic.

In the end, all the guy wants is his money back which is fair enough, but he’s wanting a hell of a lot of exposure in return for that.

He’s turning into a nightmare. He will end up alienating his own supporters, and people will wish he just goes away.

DAVE KING has warned supporters have no way of challenging the Rangers board after a complete breakdown in the relationship between Club 1872 and the Ibrox hierarchy.

And the former Light Blues chairman has accused Gers chiefs of behaviour that is 'unbecoming' of the club after raising concerns over how the champions are being run behind the scenes.

Herald and Times Sport revealed last week that King had used his major shareholding in RIFC plc to vote against the reappointment of Graeme Park - the son of Ibrox chairman Douglas Park - to the board at the Annual General Meeting.

Park Jnr retained his boardroom seat despite losing the support of King's 15.4 per cent stake as deputy chairman John Bennett and Alistair Johnston were also re-elected with overwhelming majorities.
King has insisted that he had a 'fiduciary duty' and 'continuing moral obligation' to vote against Park and Resolution Eight - which deals with the issue of new share capital - ahead of the AGM last Tuesday.

And he would later express his concern at what he views as the 'disconnect' between Rangers and member organisation Club 1872 as relations have soured even further in recent times.
"Club 1872 had been instrumental in supporting me to achieve regime change and deserved ongoing recognition and loyalty from the Club in return," King said.
"However, after I stepped down from the board there was an immediate reversal by the Club of the strong, frank and transparent relationship that I had built with Club 1872.
"At regime change, the relationship between supporters and the Club was at an all-time low. I promised to change that - and it was changed.
"Club 1872 was a big part of that because it represented thousands of shareholders and, in turn, communicated with tens of thousands more.
"The Club’s unwarranted unilateral withdrawal from its relationship with Club 1872 has left supporters with no effective avenue to challenge the Club in situations where challenge is warranted."

[?]

King and Club 1872 agreed a potential £13million share deal last year that could see supporters become the largest shareholders in Rangers and give them a significant say in the running of their club.
The South Africa-based businessman also raised hope that Club 1872 could one day have a representative around the Ibrox top table to ensure fans have a voice at boardroom level.
But that prospect now appears forlorn as links between Rangers and the supporter organisation have deteriorated almost beyond repair after questions were raised over the champions’ relationship with Sports Direct last season.
"That was always my intention, but it is not something the present leadership supports," King said when asked if that possibility was now as far away as ever and probably never likely under the current board. "So, it won’t happen any time soon."
Club 1872 control a 4.71 per cent stake in Rangers but have come in for criticism during what King labelled as a 'coordinated attack' earlier this season following friction with key figures at Ibrox.
The ongoing dispute with Club 1872 is one of several battles that Rangers are involved in off the park as new boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst seeks to defend their Premiership title this term.
The champions became embroiled in a legal challenge with the SPFL over their multi-million pound sponsorship deal with cinch earlier this season.

Rangers have also moved to alter their working relationship with sections of the Press and have twice denied Chris Sutton, the former Celtic striker, access to Ibrox to cover Europa League fixtures for BT Sport.
"All it needs is for Stewart and Douglas to start giving supporters and Club 1872 the respect they deserve and reopening constructive dialogue with them," King said when asked what needs to happen for the relationship between Club 1872 and Rangers to be repaired.
"The idea that the Club can silence challenging supporters, reporters and regulatory authorities is not only wrong, it is completely unbecoming of Rangers.
"Rangers should be a leader in standing up for individual rights and opinions - even if they don’t agree with them.
"I have not been the beneficiary of kind comment from Chris Sutton but I would never even remotely consider the possibility of banishing him from our stadium and using untenable health and safety arguments as justification. We should be bigger than that."
Herald and Times Sport approached Rangers for comment on Monday evening.
This is getting crazy,how many clubs out there give fans a say in the running of their club,not many I would think, and reading yesterday a fan gets a company car,and £75k per year, for doing what,being a spokesman of a group, wow nice little earner if you can get that,whilst the club is trying to tighten it's budget,and look after its pennies.

our general attitude to the media isn’t conducive to finding out. That’s really my point.

i don’t think there’s a great problem one way or another yet but i do get increasingly uneasy about the media stuff. Just in general, given what has happened to us in the past 10 years, teaching fans to distrust the media as a whole is problematic.

One of these days something negative could start happening again, where would a whistleblower go to get it out there? Story appears in The Times, for example, fans all immediately assume it’s mhedia bias, privileged fan media tell us it’s nonsense (because they’re told it is, not because they know it is)…

Where have you been for the last decade and beyond
Do you honestly believe that the board welcoming these rats in would result in fair and balanced coverage They would continue their bias attacks from inside Ibrox
I’m all for reasonable criticism and can’t be bothered with happy clappers who think the team and board are beyond reproach however to allow so called journalists like Sutton in to defame us is nonsensical

Sutton doesn't do his job though, unless he is employed to give little to the analysis of the match and act like a tabloid journalist.

Where have you been for the last decade and beyond
Do you honestly believe that the board welcoming these rats in would result in fair and balanced coverage They would continue their bias attacks from inside Ibrox
I’m all for reasonable criticism and can’t be bothered with happy clappers who think the team and board are beyond reproach however to allow so called journalists like Sutton in to defame us is nonsensical
i have been here for the last ten years, which is exactly why i just posted what i did. It’s got nothing really to do with Sutton specifically

Happy clappers will lap up their every word. But plenty are not happy with the treatment and lack of respect shown towards the normal.

Taken for granted is the phrase used quite often on here, on social media and at games.

Most recent example is the silencing of the SLO, one of the only avenues the fans have to speak to the club. The disdain is off the chart at times.
Which is all fine until you consider the disconnect between club and fans under Murrays tenure.
While Dave King sat on the board.

You're right that the relationship between club and fans is poor.
I've never known it to be anything else though, not even when King himself was chairman.

I think if DK was entirely motivated by self interest he would sell his shares to the first available buyer. He has publically stated that he doesn't want to do that. He wants his shareholding to be bought by the Rangers support. The only vehicle currently in place is the support owned Club 1872.
IMHO the support should have a voice on the board. The very least that should be in place is a formal forum where the support can make representations to the board and their views given a fair hearing. The current boards obvious disdain for safe standing perfectly illustrates the gulf that currently exists between the support and the board. I appreciate that our board are dyed in the wool Rangers men. But so are we. They don't have a monopoly on wisdom. We should always have a means of challenging the board. Look where the ivory tower got us last time.
I'm not up to speed on the political wrangling within Club 1872. If it's broken then sort it. We absolutely must, for the good of the club in the longer term, have some form of accountability to the largest source of revenue to the club; the Rangers supporters.
Let’s be accurate, despite what some people think is the case, safe standing illustrates the gulf that exists between a small section of the support and the board. The vast majority are pretty luke warm about the whole subject. There’s a difference between what one wants the truth to be in any given situation and what the truth actually is.

If any of the wealthier investors were willing to purchase DKs shareholding Club1872 would be cast aside without a backwards glance imo.
The chance of them (Club1872) raising enough to purchase his shareholding is zero. In their current form they are a busted flush. Unless this changes both his and their shareholding will be further diluted over time.

Sutton doesn't do his job though, unless he is employed to give little to the analysis of the match and act like a tabloid journalist.
No other pundit works on a position of hatred for a club that he truly believes cheated him out of a league winners medal.

When he has thoughts like that echoing around his empty head, he simply can't offer unbiased opinion.

Too far. Much too far.

But I agree with the consensus that this is all very unseemly. C1872 are clearly the problem and DK clearly wants to sell his shareholding. The board want the latitude to continue to invest in new shares. That’s the issue for DK.

But spare the abuse, he’s still got massive credit in the bank even if this is tarnishing his standing.
The trolling of Dave King on here is alarming

So I'm guess when he says c1872 was instrumental in removing the spivs he must be referencing people than the organisation since it didn't exist.

This clearly boils down to CG, CH, etc having there club perks taken away. They are hostile to the board because of that, Dave King has taken their side.

He is correct regarding Sutton though. Pathetic by the club to ban him in the first place.

Genuine question. Why ?

Do you seriously think the EPL would put up with him spouting his "Brother Beaton" nonsense on national TV ? A national broadcaster allowing one of their pundits to tell their UK audience that a ref's a mason because he gave us a penalty. Are you fúcking kidding me ?

Criticism of Rangers no one has a problem with. Sutton doesn't criticise, he trolls. He abuses Morelos on live TV, he takes cheap shots at three different Rangers managers now. He called our captain a serial loser, he blindsides a Rangers manager during an interview in a way that simply would not be allowed to take place with any other manager.

We’ve seen these campaigns from king before and although I’ll be grateful for what he has done I’m disappointed he chose to speak to reach plc about this

This won’t be the end of this obviously

Not the party line, but i find it hard to disagree with this:

"I have not been the beneficiary of kind comment from Chris Sutton but I would never even remotely consider the possibility of banishing him from our stadium and using untenable health and safety arguments as justification. We should be bigger than that."

In general I accept your point mate, I would like to think there are other ways to deal with it. The optics are bad I think they say these days, despite that being a fûcking ridiculous expression.

However I don’t accept that The Club have ‘taught’ the fans to distrust the media, distrust in them has been building for years, in the eyes of many The Club took too long to act, I think I remember some turning on Paul Murray for comments on ‘building bridges’?

I’d also suggest that the very structure would prevent any wrongdoing from becoming knowledge, by that I mean no one man (Murray) calling all the shots.

Without meaning to digress, fan ownership has been mooted as the way forward for years, I think many have failed to realise that we have it. The people at the very top of our Club are as much Rangers fans as you and me.

Genuine question. Why ?

Do you seriously think the EPL would put up with him spouting his "Brother Beaton" nonsense on national TV ? A national broadcaster allowing one of their pundits to tell their UK audience that a ref's a mason because he gave us a penalty. Are you fúcking kidding me ?

Criticism of Rangers no one has a problem with. Sutton doesn't criticise, he trolls. He abuses Morelos on live TV, he takes cheap shots at three different Rangers managers now. He called our captain a serial loser, he blindsides a Rangers manager during an interview in a way that simply would not be allowed to take place with any other manager.

Not that I agree with it, it's interesting that Bellingham is facing a police investigation due to his comments alleging a corrupt referee, and meanwhile in Scotland there is a merry band of pundits of which Sutton is a ringleader who are constantly suggesting referee corruption.

I disagree. The club should never lower itself to the level us as fans would act.
Rangers have always been a class above other clubs but this goes the wrong way for me.
What’s the tipping point then? Do we accept absolutely anything they say about us?

Have to agree.

The relationship between board and fans is very poor and i find that very disappointing as well as frustrating.

Our Dave loves a squabble, doesn't he ? I assume the Club 1872 thing is his contacts with his placemen giving their opinion to him, but Sutton ?

In general I accept your point mate, I would like to think there are other ways to deal with it. The optics are bad I think they say these days, despite that being a fûcking ridiculous expression.

However I don’t accept that The Club have ‘taught’ the fans to distrust the media, distrust in them has been building for years, in the eyes of many The Club took too long to act, I think I remember some turning on Paul Murray for comments on ‘building bridges’?

I’d also suggest that the very structure would prevent any wrongdoing from becoming knowledge, by that I mean no one man (Murray) calling all the shots.

Without meaning to digress, fan ownership has been mooted as the way forward for years, I think many have failed to realise that we have it. The people at the very top of our Club are as much Rangers fans as you and me.
i didn’t mean “taught” to sound calculated, it’s more organic than that but the club continue to think that’s what the fans want so they’ll pander…but that’s also a corrupting thing. The club need to lead on occasions regardless of whether the fans like it or not. For now the media stuff is small beer, but i think in particular the Sutton one really does look like overreach and King’s right to say so.

Genuine question. Why ?

I don't necessarily disagree with what you say but by banning people like him it just allows them to be seen as the 'victim' to those on the outside and they will milk it for what it is worth.

Back