Jim Baxter’s Scotland Shirt

It seems clear from the photos that the shirt up for auction isn't the one Baxter is wearing on the pitch, the cuffs are different.

I think the auction also had a Laudrup cup final shirt that stated the pattern didn’t match photos from the game, it may have been an unworn spare though.

You don't have to be an expert to see it's a different shirt. Maybe one that Ball swapped with Baxter at another game but clearly not the 67 shirt. If McTears are guaranteeing the provenance they are leaving themselves open for a lawsuit methinks

No one would've paid top dollar for the jersey that was up for auction, as the authenticity was in serious doubt.

Three shirts on the go now purportedly worn by Baxter in that match. I bet you Slim Jim dished out dozens, each allegedly worn that day.:)
I have a funny story in regard to a match wearing shirt during the furore over our Dublin loyal banner to try and smooth things over Kenny Scott and Jim Hannah came over to Dublin with the Scottish cup.Kenny Scott presented a signed steven Davis top which he presented as “Steven Davis was wearing this jersey on Saturday”.we beat Hamilton 8-1 I think it was and I couldn’t help notice seeing the goals that Steven Davis was wearing a long sleeved jersey and the shirt we got was short sleeved.

Where did you hear or see that mate? Asking as a family member has a vested interest in this.
Tam Cowan told it the story. He was sitting beside Baxter at a sporting event and when the 67 shirt came up for auction, Baxter seemingly turned to Cowan and said the 50 shirts quote.

Just saw that @dublinbluenose has said the exact same.

Speaking to the former Rangers and Scotland legend at a sports dinner just months before he passed away, Jim joked about the number of times his "genuine" dark blue top from the 3-2 game at Wembley kept appearing at auctions.
He said: "You know, Tam, I must have played even better against England than I first thought. After all, I was wearing about 35 jerseys at the time..."

Last edited:
This is similar to Colin Stein No.9 shirt from Barcelona. Seen two of them, one in a house and one at an auction years ago, and heard about another person claiming they have the genuine shirt.

There must be hundreds or thousands of these fake football jerseys sold every year. If the buyer thinks it genuine fair enough.

Would never believe something being sold as authentic no matter what gaurantees they gave, probably hundreds of cases like this all over the world, people being conned. It would have to be off the players back personally to me :)

I have a funny story in regard to a match wearing shirt during the furore over our Dublin loyal banner to try and smooth things over Kenny Scott and Jim Hannah came over to Dublin with the Scottish cup.Kenny Scott presented a signed steven Davis top which he presented as “Steven Davis was wearing this jersey on Saturday”.we beat Hamilton 8-1 I think it was and I couldn’t help notice seeing the goals that Steven Davis was wearing a long sleeved jersey and the shirt we got was short sleeved.

It happened at a rangers supporters club charity dance thing my mum was at a number of years ago, the people doing the auction raffle stuff said they had a signed top from one of the winning cup final teams from when Barry Ferguson was captain at the time, I don’t know if one of the couples sitting at her table won it or had a look at the shirt and became suspicious with the signatures, the couple where actually friends with Ferguson and his mrs so knew them well and noticed straight away that it wasn’t Barry’s signature. They confronted the people doing the auction raffle thing and apparently they became a bit sheepish and never knew what to say.

Tartan Specials bargain of £1600? Look at the badge and look at the photo of Baxter.

Did Frank Abagnale authenticate it for him? :D

Back