Jim Duffy saying he has heard Porteous is signing for Rangers

Amazing that Duffy mentions we are singing porteous and all of a sudden all these members have heard from people at Rangers, Hibs coaches and all sorts that he is signing, just all of a sudden they have got the info, I love a good itk poster.

I love threads like this too. The ITK crowd get us all wet even if we know sometimes they are full of crap.

I think in this thread though we are all as dry as sandpaper or some other dry thing.

Weird. Had him down as a Yahoo signing for certain.

Not great when playing in a team on the offensive instead of defending the box, caught out repeatedly with overloads, daydreamer when not defending, not great without a covering defender, not great at distribution, slow, rash in the tackle, gets drawn into emotional crap on/off the field and most people perceive him as a complete and utter cunt.

Fighting an uphill battle from day one. Not impossible, but fighting an uphill battle.

I’d rather have Halkett back than Porteous

We missed out on Lewis Ferguson but the doesn’t mean we chose second rate (at best) Scottish players

We signed Mo Johnston. The fans accepted him. A far more toxic character than Porteous will ever be. Oh and when I say he was toxic I do not mean his religious background.
You cant comparethat clown with the signing of Mo Johnston!
Mo Johnston was a fantastic footballer, Porteous isnt!
Mo Johnston signing rocked Scottish football to its core!
Porteous is scum, shit football player and chocolate hard man. Hes not a Rangers player in the slightest.
Rangers standard is much much higher than him.

You cant comparethat clown with the signing of Mo Johnston!
Mo Johnston was a fantastic footballer, Porteous isnt!
Mo Johnston signing rocked Scottish football to its core!
Porteous is scum, shit football player and chocolate hard man. Hes not a Rangers player in the slightest.
Rangers standard is much much higher than him.
Johnston, arguably one of the best strikers Scotland has ever produced, compared to this pretend hardman carthorse. You have to laugh.

The kind of player that clubs fans absolutely love

This reeks of him signing for celtic and it being seen as ‘getting it up us’

Might be overestimating their depth at CB, but they've got Walsh, Starfelt, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Jenz and they've just signed some young Japanese centre half. With a couple of younger prospect CBs loaned out.

Not out of the question they'd move for him, but he's not exactly needed over there atm. Different story for us though. With Helander leaving in the summer and Souttar being injury prone or I believe the trendy new term coined by Ross Wilson is 'doesn't have to play 60 games a season'. Could see why we'd be interested. Also I don't think Beale will utilise Sands as a central defender, could be wrong but also his fee is massive and there's undoubtedly question marks over whether or not he'd be worth it. Leaves us with Goldson, Davies, King and hopefully Souttar for next season.

If Porteous does sign, it will be really interesting to see the reaction from the scottish media and pundits.

It was so noticeable that after his (admittedly impressive) Scotland debut against Ukraine, he was the new golden boy of the msm. Pundits and journos alike falling over themselves to gush praise on him and tell us all how he's the best defensive prospect the country has produced in years. Very little mention of past indiscrepancies both on and off the field...he was effectively saint Ryan of Leith and would be a mainstay of this Scotland team for years to come.

I reckon most of them suspected that he'd sign for celtic or move down south, either of which would only have further enhanced his golden boy status. But signing for us is a whole different kettle of fish. There will be quite a few readying their pens and preparing a 360 turn and I guarantee every single indescrepancy from now on (and more focus on his past antics) will be highlighted and debated non stop, simply by virtue of his connection to us - public enemy #1 of pretty much the entire Scottish game.

So I don't actually have much of an issue with his signing from a talent perspective - he's got potential undoubtedly imo. But it's a hell of a risk to take to assume thst he will screw the nut good and proper a d that even if he does, he'll get a fair rack of the whip from the authorities and media once he pulls on the Royal blue.
Very sensible post Sir

We already have overzealous refs doing our games with Porteous already on their radar. If he was to come he’d get carded into submission and eventually scared to make a tackle. Not a good footballing move for either party.

I really hope we don’t sign him for a number of reasons, but Mai it the sustain he had for us in previous years and also his discipline. Alfie’s discipline was killing us and he’s a forward so to have a defender sent off time and again would be worse.

If he does sign we’ll need to bookmark this thread :))

The type of player you hate until he’s on your side. Think he could do a job for us, wouldn’t say no to getting him on a free
He is a fucking animal off the park. That should be the end of our supposed interest. Or do now just accept the lowering of standards. If we are stupid enough to sign him, I'm on his case from day 1.

He is a fucking animal off the park. That should be the end of our supposed interest. Or do now just accept the lowering of standards.

Are we just going to pretend the club haven't employed some total roasters in the past? I don't particularly like his off field behaviour, but to try and pretend the club hasn't is just silly.

Im not amongst the clamour for his signature. Neither are most bears I know. It’s only those that think a football match should be a battle field that seem interested. It’d be a huge step backwards signing him. We should be good enough to play round the thuggery without engaging with it.

He is a fucking animal off the park. That should be the end of our supposed interest. Or do now just accept the lowering of standards. If we are stupid enough to sign him, I'm on his case from day 1.
You are 100% correct mate regarding Porteous. He fails the simple two test for our great club and institution. Firstly, he isn’t good enough to play for us in the first place and secondly but equally as important off the park he falls very very far short of the standards required at Glasgow Rangers FC.

You are 100% correct mate regarding Porteous. He fails the simple two test for our great club and institution. Firstly, he isn’t good enough to play for us in the first place and secondly but equally as important off the park he falls very very far short of the standards required at Glasgow Rangers FC.
Tell that to the people that backed Djouf and Barton.

Seriously, this is not the way forward. He’s an absolute throbber. Recall him disrespecting our club on many occasions. Please don’t let this be true.

I don't like him but he could be a good signing for us in an area we badly need strengthening. He doesn't like us but I don't think he likes them either.

Celtic play with Ralston, Welsh, Starfelt, Taylor, Jenz. Porteous certainly isn’t any less of a player than those names. He’s also a better CB than Sands, he’s more robust than Souttar - he’s probably of a similar standard too. He’s a better level than King, who’s just starting out but due to Davies, Helander and Souttar being made of chocolate, has been thrown in.

Would Porteous be my first choice. No. Is he a lady's front bottom. Yes. Does he have decent attributes that can be developed further. Yes. Are there many Scottish players available. No, we need to do something in regards to the homegrown/club trained quota.

I could see Porteous going to England and being solid. McKenna was labelled a dumpling, he’s a regular in an English Premiership side.
Have to agree with everything you've said there, and stranger things have happened in football.

I suspect if it wasn't for this home grown quota farce we wouldn't even be considering it. But its a rule, and we have to deal with it. If you look around the SPFl, there aren't many home grown players that I feel could make the step up to Rangers - Ferguson could have, and Porteous the player can. But it would mean changing as a person, and I severely doubt he can do that.

The Home Grown Quota rule may force us to look past that though.

Have to agree with everything you've said there, and stranger things have happened in football.

I suspect if it wasn't for this home grown quota farce we wouldn't even be considering it. But its a rule, and we have to deal with it. If you look around the SPFl, there aren't many home grown players that I feel could make the step up to Rangers - Ferguson could have, and Porteous the player can. But it would mean changing as a person, and I severely doubt he can do that.

The Home Grown Quota rule may force us to look past that though.
Very good points and follow on from Capt Courageous post.

I am trying to think of the last player who was a liability like RP would be on and off field, who we signed and he changed his ways and was successful.

Very good points and follow on from Capt Courageous post.

I am trying to think of the last player who was a liability like RP would be on and off field, who we signed and he changed his ways and was successful.
Can't think of any - plenty who we signed and they became liabilities right enough :)

I've never at any point claimed he didn't plead guilty or what he did was out of order.

Btw, I'm guessing Mo Johnstone and Neil McCann weren't too keen on us before they signed. No doubt you were raging when they signed.
Is he a RC .

Putting aside his thuggish behaviour both on and off the pitch, is this really how far we have sunk in signing players? From Boumsong and Bougherra to Souttar and Porteous? I really hope this is fake news.

Putting aside his thuggish behaviour both on and off the pitch, is this really how far we have sunk in signing players? From Boumsong and Bougherra to Souttar and Porteous? I really hope this is fake news.
Not sure Bougherra is the best example here - he came from Charlton in the Championship. The consensus at the time was that he was going to be a massive downgrade on Cuellar, although thankfully he shut us all up pretty quickly.

No way would he cope playing for Rangers he struggles badly at Hibs and his positional sense is poor, he constantly gets drawn to balls he cannot win and is a gift a game to a good team.

He’s a relatively young man. Rangers would be the making of him. Given our defensive frailties currently I wouldn’t be against this signing.

Good news for someone queuing the season ticket. It seems there will be plenty of 'em freeing up.

I point blank refuse to believe this. He hates us, he's nowhere remotely near good enough.

I have already seen some turd polishing on here which to me shows no matter who we sign there'll be ones trying to spin it. Ryan effing Porteous FFS.

As I say though, firmly not having this.

Good news for someone queuing the season ticket. It seems there will be plenty of 'em freeing up.
I’d seriously doubt anyone is going to give their ST up because we may or may not be interested in signing Ryan Porteous

Last edited:
No issue with us signing a player with a profile like Porteous. Nearly 200 games at the age of 23. Good experience already with plenty scope to learn.

We need home grown players. If we can get a guy like Porteous who ticks that box, and is likely to give us a minimum 6/10 every game, for free, then it means we can spend the money on a game changer, rather than spend the money on somebody like Liam Henderson.

If we exclude players from being potential signings due to their off field antics then we will be significantly reducing the talent pool

No issue with us signing a player with a profile like Porteous. Nearly 200 games at the age of 23. Good experience already with plenty scope to learn.

We need home grown players. If we can get a guy like Porteous who ticks that box, and is likely to give us a minimum 6/10 every game, for free, then it means we can spend the money on a game changer, rather than spend the money on somebody like Liam Henderson.

If we exclude players from being potential signings due to their off field antics then we will be significantly reducing the talent pool
Is the 6/10 he'll give us every game based on effort or performance? Because I could believe you if it's the former but I'm not sure where you're getting the idea it would be the latter from.

Celtic play with Ralston, Welsh, Starfelt, Taylor, Jenz. Porteous certainly isn’t any less of a player than those names. He’s also a better CB than Sands, he’s more robust than Souttar - he’s probably of a similar standard too. He’s a better level than King, who’s just starting out but due to Davies, Helander and Souttar being made of chocolate, has been thrown in.

Would Porteous be my first choice. No. Is he a lady's front bottom. Yes. Does he have decent attributes that can be developed further. Yes. Are there many Scottish players available. No, we need to do something in regards to the homegrown/club trained quota.

I could see Porteous going to England and being solid. McKenna was labelled a dumpling, he’s a regular in an English Premiership side.

This is one of the key points that people are still wilfully obtuse about. Irrespective of the fact our DoF said, verbatim, “we need to sign more Scottish players” on Tuesday.

Helander is done. Souttar and Davies can’t be trusted. If not Porteous, then who is the alternative? Halkett, who is A) not as good and B) never off the treatment table?

Back