Jim Goodwin on the Rangers instant penalty flag-up he insists shows there's no VAR excuse

Salamanca

The Buddies boss is confident a stripped back version of the technology used in the English Premier League and beyond would be beneficial for Scottish football.

St Mirren boss Jim Goodwin wants Scottish football to consider VAR-lite to cut down on "soft" penalties in the Premiership.

Goodwin believes at least half of the 63 spot-kicks awarded in the top-flight this season were debatable.

There have been 63 penalties awarded in the top flight this term - but Goodwin believes at least half were questionable.

The Buddies' manager addressed the potential for a stripped back version of the video technology widely used in the English Premier League and beyond.

His comments followed Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos being booked for an alleged dive despite TV replays showing contact from keeper Max Stryjek during the league leaders' 1-0 win over Livingston on Wednesday night.

Manager Steven Gerrard was then sent off by referee John Beaton for protesting the decision at half-time.

The Irishman understands Scottish clubs will struggle to afford the full VAR system used in England - but he sees no reason why an adapted system cannot be implemented.

"I think there has been just over 60 penalties awarded this season in the league and I would say about half of them fall into the soft category," said the Saints boss. "At least half.

"I think we need to help the referees as best we can because it's a really difficult job. And it's getting harder every year because the pace of the game is getting quicker all the time

"I know they have VAR in the Premier League and people say it costs too much money for us to even consider.

"But I can assure you that the Rangers video analyst will have sent a clip of the penalty incident last night to the Rangers bench within half a minute. Those guys will have seen straight away that it was a penalty.

"Maybe I'm talking nonsense and we need FIFA to allow us to use our own system here in Scotland - but I don't see why we can't.

"We could have a TV monitor at the side of the pitch next to the dugout and for penalty-box incidents, it would be very easy to stop the game, have the referee run over and give the correct decision.

"Finances will always dictate and we don't have the resources that the Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga have.

"But I'm not talking about the full bells-and-whistles VAR with the yellow and blue lines for offside. I'm just talking about penalty incidents because there are far too many being awarded this year that just quite frankly aren't penalties.

"These are key decisions which could mean the difference between making top six or bottom six or getting relegated and staying up."

Gerrard's champions-elect will be hoping to move within a point of the title when Goodwin's men head to Ibrox on Saturday - but the Paisley men are also just one win shy of confirming their place in the top six.

And the Saints boss said: "We're the only team in Europe who has been able to beat Rangers this season. We're very proud of that Betfred Cup result and it would make it even more special if we can go to Ibrox and get a win in the league.

"They've won every league game they've played at Ibrox this season so no-one has to tell us how difficult it will be.

"But we won't be going there to sit on our own 18-yard line. We're within touching distance of the top six now so we're going there to have a go."

Quotahontus has a point about the VAR-lite - why not??
A 5 second check on a tv monitor would have proven Beaton wrong last night

The Buddies boss is confident a stripped back version of the technology used in the English Premier League and beyond would be beneficial for Scottish football.

St Mirren boss Jim Goodwin wants Scottish football to consider VAR-lite to cut down on "soft" penalties in the Premiership.

Goodwin believes at least half of the 63 spot-kicks awarded in the top-flight this season were debatable.

There have been 63 penalties awarded in the top flight this term - but Goodwin believes at least half were questionable.

The Buddies' manager addressed the potential for a stripped back version of the video technology widely used in the English Premier League and beyond.

His comments followed Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos being booked for an alleged dive despite TV replays showing contact from keeper Max Stryjek during the league leaders' 1-0 win over Livingston on Wednesday night.

Manager Steven Gerrard was then sent off by referee John Beaton for protesting the decision at half-time.

The Irishman understands Scottish clubs will struggle to afford the full VAR system used in England - but he sees no reason why an adapted system cannot be implemented.

"I think there has been just over 60 penalties awarded this season in the league and I would say about half of them fall into the soft category," said the Saints boss. "At least half.

"I think we need to help the referees as best we can because it's a really difficult job. And it's getting harder every year because the pace of the game is getting quicker all the time

"I know they have VAR in the Premier League and people say it costs too much money for us to even consider.

"But I can assure you that the Rangers video analyst will have sent a clip of the penalty incident last night to the Rangers bench within half a minute. Those guys will have seen straight away that it was a penalty.

"Maybe I'm talking nonsense and we need FIFA to allow us to use our own system here in Scotland - but I don't see why we can't.

"We could have a TV monitor at the side of the pitch next to the dugout and for penalty-box incidents, it would be very easy to stop the game, have the referee run over and give the correct decision.

"Finances will always dictate and we don't have the resources that the Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga have.

"But I'm not talking about the full bells-and-whistles VAR with the yellow and blue lines for offside. I'm just talking about penalty incidents because there are far too many being awarded this year that just quite frankly aren't penalties.

"These are key decisions which could mean the difference between making top six or bottom six or getting relegated and staying up."

Gerrard's champions-elect will be hoping to move within a point of the title when Goodwin's men head to Ibrox on Saturday - but the Paisley men are also just one win shy of confirming their place in the top six.

And the Saints boss said: "We're the only team in Europe who has been able to beat Rangers this season. We're very proud of that Betfred Cup result and it would make it even more special if we can go to Ibrox and get a win in the league.

"They've won every league game they've played at Ibrox this season so no-one has to tell us how difficult it will be.

"But we won't be going there to sit on our own 18-yard line. We're within touching distance of the top six now so we're going there to have a go."

Clearly watched the game last night and listened to what Boyd said.

Do all teams have a “ video analyst “?
If he’s asking to tap into other teams video analysts then I expect it’s a non starter.

Coming from the guy who’s player dived at the weekend for a penalty.

This one?

“Collin has got the wrong side of the defender. It was soft, no doubt. I’ve made my opinions clear on penalties given against us. I’m not going to try to pull the wool over people’s eyes and say it was stonewall. But that’s the way the game has gone and if we don’t do something about it that’s what happens. I don’t think it was simulation, there was slight contact. Was there enough to make the big man go over? I’ll have to have a look.”

Is this guy daft?

If you get VAR then you will see MORE soft penalties awarded not less.

For example, the Antwerp penalty against us was soft but if you use VAR as intended then there was contact on the video so it goes down as a penalty.

Same with the two tim penalties against Killie and St Mirren. There was contact and VAR would give those not the opposite.

I'm actually a fan of VAR generally, but referees have to want to use it in good faith. Beaton could have had that incident beamed onto the sky like the fcking bat signal, his mind was made the moment it happened and no amount of proof was going to sway him.

Spot on. If we had a monitor replay option the ref and fourth official could review things like this quickly. A decision would be made then horse on. It would get 99% of decisions correct and would deter the cheats (Ajeti, Taylor) .

Great to hear Jim's thoughts.....again.
Let's just scud these tramps on Saturday Rangers

Reactions: o7o
He is correct. The millimetre offsides in EPL are downright stupid. We don't need or want that. We just need to help ref's by giving them the ability to review their contentious decisions from multiple angles before making a final decision.

You know he's been doing a press conference for Saturday's game and has been asked about it, right?
Ah, I didn't appreciate that was the case but that makes sense now.

I just assumed that he was mouthing off to the papers, like he has been known to do recently.

Never heard such a lot of rubbish in my life. It's either VAR or nothing and I'm happy with nothing as opposed to his TV show.

I totally agree with him we could easily have a tv monitor at side of pitch for penalty incidents or red cards only
i've been of the same opinion for a while

but then you'll get the same people saying it's a mentally challenged on the tv watching it

doesn't matter what's in place there will always be that element of paranoia

doesn't matter how much something's controlled, the more control only decreases the likelihood of there being mistakes, it doesn't eliminate them

if a human being is involved there will always be human error

His comments followed Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos

being booked for an alleged dive despite TV replays showing contact from keeper Max Stryjek during the league leaders' 1-0 win over Livingston on Wednesday night.

Why not start by decreasing the salaries of the two sinecures we have running the game up here , especially that prick Doncasters. That money saved could be invested in the premier league as a start . What do they do with the money they have..? Our countries football authorities are a fuckin laughing stock ....We don't even have a sponsor ..ffs

This one?

“Collin has got the wrong side of the defender. It was soft, no doubt. I’ve made my opinions clear on penalties given against us. I’m not going to try to pull the wool over people’s eyes and say it was stonewall. But that’s the way the game has gone and if we don’t do something about it that’s what happens. I don’t think it was simulation, there was slight contact. Was there enough to make the big man go over? I’ll have to have a look.”
Aye about 2 weeks after saying divers should be named and shamed

It was a press conference ahead of this weekend's game. No different to when Gerrard speaks to the media tomorrow.
Wish the opening post had said as part of his weekly presser then.

There's a few posts every week about this rocket.

Maybe he does two hour pressers and has offered to solve the pandemic too.

Part of his press conference or not, he's full of pish

Putting rentaquote to one side for a moment, another factor not mentioned here yet is the lack of fans impacting on penalty decisions. Not sure what it's like up here, but I'm sure I heard at the weekend that EPL penalties are up 50% this season. Now they've had VAR since before this year and whilst they do dick about with it a bit, it would seem to suggest that an increase in penalties is somehow more correlated with a lack of crowds than a sudden increase in diving....?

Wish the opening post had said as part of his weekly presser then.

There's a few posts every week about this rocket.

Maybe he does two hour pressers and has offered to solve the pandemic too.

Part of his press conference or not, he's full of pish
Because several of his answers are getting published and folk are regularly creating threads on them. Tbh, I'd rather he didn't do two-hour pressers. 45 minutes are plenty. Personally, I think he's generally pretty fair when he speaks. He never shirks questions and is generally open to a bit of back and forth with his answers.

They’ve already used it to get a Rangers player sent off at Ibrox v Killie.

Nothing will convince me the 4th official didn’t access a tv monitor that night.

Looks like the guy who "chose poorly". Shut your mentally challenged pie-hole, every day he's slapping his gums on something.

They’ve already used it to get a Rangers player sent off at Ibrox v Killie.

Nothing will convince me the 4th official didn’t access a tv monitor that night.
You'd think one of the Rangers coaching staff stood feet away from him would have mentioned if he had?

:oops:

I honestly didn't realise that was the case, he seems to have been in the papers at least every second day.
Today's presser will have seen the stuff for digital/TV released today, there's also stuff embargoed that will come out tonight for tomorrow's papers. After their game at the weekend with us, there will likely be stuff out immediately, stuff just for the sunday papers and some stuff kept behind for monday's papers.

If you happen to have a couple of games in a week, then you can essentially have a substantial 'fresh' interview quotes to use each day for a week.

We have had a VAR facility in place for years,it's called Sky Sports and BT.If it's to cost us anything to use it as they normally give you replays just as quick if not quicker than VAR then use that tit Dumbcaster's salary for it and get him to fck as he does fck all anyway.Also Goodwin seems to be the go to guy at present for the mhedia luvvies.

Back