Jim Goodwin on the Rangers instant penalty flag-up he insists shows there's no VAR excuse

Jim Goodwin ...The new go to voice of authority in Scottish Football

1. Irish - tick
2. Full of Self Importance - tick
3. Victim mentality - tick
4. Hates the Rangers - tick

who else would the Scottish mhedia go to for opinions :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who thinks his team get more than their fair share of dodgy pens, like the one against us. And last weekends game wasn't the first where they've been drawing/ losing with a few mins to go and one of their players takes a dive. Watch for this on Sat if they get near our pen box.

Is this guy daft?

If you get VAR then you will see MORE soft penalties awarded not less.

For example, the Antwerp penalty against us was soft but if you use VAR as intended then there was contact on the video so it goes down as a penalty.

Same with the two tim penalties against Killie and St Mirren. There was contact and VAR would give those not the opposite.
There’s an element of judgement involved. Football is still, I think, a contact sport. Not every contact would/should be a penalty. Even on a monitor at the side of the pitch, referee still has got a decision to make.

I cant believe anyone wants to see VAR in Scotland when you watch these nuts in action out on the pitch, things could actually get ever worse for Rangers it will be the same guys plus possibly an ex tim ref like Thomson or Richmond doing everything to corrupt it from the bunker.

We could actually be cheated even more than we are now and its already at a disgusting and quite shameful stage.

Firstly you would need an honest film editor to show all the angles and sadly we don't have that with sky and bbc

I totally agree with him we could easily have a tv monitor at side of pitch for penalty incidents or red cards only
Don’t see why it couldn’t be used for offsides either. For the blatant ones anyway. If it’s so close you need lines stick to the on field decision

dIrTam51HkCP.gif

Czech Republic have VAR and that is a league comparable to ours in terms of finance.

Slavia will be used to it a lot more than us when we play them so gives a small advantage IMO

Agree with Boyd last night when he said why can't they just have a TV available on the touchline that the ref and 4th official can just look at when there is a debatable decision like last nights penalty claims.

Don't need the whole system of refs watching it somewhere else flagging things up, just one TV with ability to rewind and pause is all that's needed.

Agree with Boyd last night when he said why can't they just have a TV available on the touchline that the ref and 4th official can just look at when there is a debatable decision like last nights penalty claims.

Don't need the whole system of refs watching it somewhere else flagging things up, just one TV with ability to rewind and pause is all that's needed.
I think the one thing that was clear from last nights performance by the officials is that they could watch 100 replays of incidents and still lie or cheat if its Rangers attacking.

The 2nd penalty claim was even more obvious and Beaton clearly wasnt interested.

Is this guy daft?

If you get VAR then you will see MORE soft penalties awarded not less.

For example, the Antwerp penalty against us was soft but if you use VAR as intended then there was contact on the video so it goes down as a penalty.

Same with the two tim penalties against Killie and St Mirren. There was contact and VAR would give those not the opposite.
This is what I think as well. VAR has lead to many more instances where penalties were awarded compared to instances where the referee changed his mind

Don’t like the messenger but like the message

no reason why this could not be imolemented

each manager gets two challenges per half like nfl

Last night was a 'clear and obvious' error. That's what VAR should be used for. That's what we were told it was to be used for, but it's being used way too much and decisions which take 3 or 4 minutes to review really can't be considered either clear or obvious. Even after review, many decisions are still contentious, so it certainly doesn't resolve every dispute. If we have to have it, I'd prefer the cricket / tennis system was used, where each side has a limited number of reviews each half.

We do need offside VAR.
We would have won the League Cup last year.
They would have lost.
Therefore, we will never get VAR!!

Last night was a 'clear and obvious' error. That's what VAR should be used for. That's what we were told it was to be used for, but it's being used way too much and decisions which take 3 or 4 minutes to review really can't be considered either clear or obvious. Even after review, many decisions are still contentious, so it certainly doesn't resolve every dispute. If we have to have it, I'd prefer the cricket / tennis system was used, where each side has a limited number of reviews each half.
The problem with that system is that you'll end up with managers making frivolous / vexatious challenges as a means to breaking up play when they are say 1-0 up and the opposition are pounding their goal in the final minutes.

Too many piling into this because it's Goodwin's comments. The general idea of asking the referee to look at a pitch side monitor is sound. Something similar in place last night would at the very least have put Beaton under pressure to change his decision.

Personally I think I would quit football if VAR came into play in Scotland, i'd be as well sitting in the pub or house watching as at least I would know what it was all about 100%, not to sure about the monitor idea at the side of the pitch idea, how many games throughout the league have lots of different cameras to see all he angles,and would the clubs be able to pull it together quick enough?

mentally challengeds don’t want VAR so we won’t be getting it

Funny because Celtic fans have been going on about the number of penalties we've got this season. They forget that we're the ones who've been calling for VAR whilst they've been rejecting it.

BTW I'm sure it was Alex Rae on Clyde SSB a few weeks ago that was saying Slovakia or Slovenia's leagues have VAR. No excuses whatsoever for our top league not having it.

Rent-a-quote has an opinion on freaking everything, what’s his stance on the rise of the populist movement? STFU!!

I'm assuming he's not bright enough to realise that the number of penalties have gone through the roof in England since VAR was introduced. Not sure how he works out it'll half the number of awards up here.

The Buddies boss is confident a stripped back version of the technology used in the English Premier League and beyond would be beneficial for Scottish football.

St Mirren boss Jim Goodwin wants Scottish football to consider VAR-lite to cut down on "soft" penalties in the Premiership.

Goodwin believes at least half of the 63 spot-kicks awarded in the top-flight this season were debatable.

There have been 63 penalties awarded in the top flight this term - but Goodwin believes at least half were questionable.

The Buddies' manager addressed the potential for a stripped back version of the video technology widely used in the English Premier League and beyond.

His comments followed Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos being booked for an alleged dive despite TV replays showing contact from keeper Max Stryjek during the league leaders' 1-0 win over Livingston on Wednesday night.

Manager Steven Gerrard was then sent off by referee John Beaton for protesting the decision at half-time.

The Irishman understands Scottish clubs will struggle to afford the full VAR system used in England - but he sees no reason why an adapted system cannot be implemented.

"I think there has been just over 60 penalties awarded this season in the league and I would say about half of them fall into the soft category," said the Saints boss. "At least half.

"I think we need to help the referees as best we can because it's a really difficult job. And it's getting harder every year because the pace of the game is getting quicker all the time

"I know they have VAR in the Premier League and people say it costs too much money for us to even consider.

"But I can assure you that the Rangers video analyst will have sent a clip of the penalty incident last night to the Rangers bench within half a minute. Those guys will have seen straight away that it was a penalty.

"Maybe I'm talking nonsense and we need FIFA to allow us to use our own system here in Scotland - but I don't see why we can't.

"We could have a TV monitor at the side of the pitch next to the dugout and for penalty-box incidents, it would be very easy to stop the game, have the referee run over and give the correct decision.

"Finances will always dictate and we don't have the resources that the Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga have.

"But I'm not talking about the full bells-and-whistles VAR with the yellow and blue lines for offside. I'm just talking about penalty incidents because there are far too many being awarded this year that just quite frankly aren't penalties.

"These are key decisions which could mean the difference between making top six or bottom six or getting relegated and staying up."

Gerrard's champions-elect will be hoping to move within a point of the title when Goodwin's men head to Ibrox on Saturday - but the Paisley men are also just one win shy of confirming their place in the top six.

And the Saints boss said: "We're the only team in Europe who has been able to beat Rangers this season. We're very proud of that Betfred Cup result and it would make it even more special if we can go to Ibrox and get a win in the league.

"They've won every league game they've played at Ibrox this season so no-one has to tell us how difficult it will be.

"But we won't be going there to sit on our own 18-yard line. We're within touching distance of the top six now so we're going there to have a go."

Quotahontus has a point about the VAR-lite - why not??
A 5 second check on a tv monitor would have proven Beaton wrong last night
He is just repeating what Boydy said on Sky Sports. Have these puddle drinkers no original ideas of their own?

Anyone saying “It’s Goodwin slabbering again”.... well, you are right. But this time his slabbers make a valid point.

Rangers as a club want VAR. The Tims don’t. I feel like a broken record saying this, but as yourself why that is and why it proves we should have it.

The problem with that system is that you'll end up with managers making frivolous / vexatious challenges as a means to breaking up play when they are say 1-0 up and the opposition are pounding their goal in the final minutes.
Agree it's not perfect, but nothing is. They'd only be able to contest certain decisions EG goals, penalties, red cards, so there may well not be an opportunity to make frivolous challenges. My biggest concern with it is that pretty much every goal would probably be challenged, so yes, as I say, definitely not perfect.

I would bet those 63 penalties would at least be doubled using VAR yet this clown seems to think that would half the amount of penalties?

I’m going to ask the obvious , is this guy a football manager or a grade1 fifa referee ?

who is he to say whether x amount of penalties are wrong I mean ffs guys just blasting off with no authority on the matter . D1ckhead .

The Buddies boss is confident a stripped back version of the technology used in the English Premier League and beyond would be beneficial for Scottish football.

St Mirren boss Jim Goodwin wants Scottish football to consider VAR-lite to cut down on "soft" penalties in the Premiership.

Goodwin believes at least half of the 63 spot-kicks awarded in the top-flight this season were debatable.

There have been 63 penalties awarded in the top flight this term - but Goodwin believes at least half were questionable.

The Buddies' manager addressed the potential for a stripped back version of the video technology widely used in the English Premier League and beyond.

His comments followed Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos being booked for an alleged dive despite TV replays showing contact from keeper Max Stryjek during the league leaders' 1-0 win over Livingston on Wednesday night.

Manager Steven Gerrard was then sent off by referee John Beaton for protesting the decision at half-time.

The Irishman understands Scottish clubs will struggle to afford the full VAR system used in England - but he sees no reason why an adapted system cannot be implemented.

"I think there has been just over 60 penalties awarded this season in the league and I would say about half of them fall into the soft category," said the Saints boss. "At least half.

"I think we need to help the referees as best we can because it's a really difficult job. And it's getting harder every year because the pace of the game is getting quicker all the time

"I know they have VAR in the Premier League and people say it costs too much money for us to even consider.

"But I can assure you that the Rangers video analyst will have sent a clip of the penalty incident last night to the Rangers bench within half a minute. Those guys will have seen straight away that it was a penalty.

"Maybe I'm talking nonsense and we need FIFA to allow us to use our own system here in Scotland - but I don't see why we can't.

"We could have a TV monitor at the side of the pitch next to the dugout and for penalty-box incidents, it would be very easy to stop the game, have the referee run over and give the correct decision.

"Finances will always dictate and we don't have the resources that the Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga have.

"But I'm not talking about the full bells-and-whistles VAR with the yellow and blue lines for offside. I'm just talking about penalty incidents because there are far too many being awarded this year that just quite frankly aren't penalties.

"These are key decisions which could mean the difference between making top six or bottom six or getting relegated and staying up."

Gerrard's champions-elect will be hoping to move within a point of the title when Goodwin's men head to Ibrox on Saturday - but the Paisley men are also just one win shy of confirming their place in the top six.

And the Saints boss said: "We're the only team in Europe who has been able to beat Rangers this season. We're very proud of that Betfred Cup result and it would make it even more special if we can go to Ibrox and get a win in the league.

"They've won every league game they've played at Ibrox this season so no-one has to tell us how difficult it will be.

"But we won't be going there to sit on our own 18-yard line. We're within touching distance of the top six now so we're going there to have a go."

Quotahontus has a point about the VAR-lite - why not??
A 5 second check on a tv monitor would have proven Beaton wrong last night
His team got a soft penalty against us as I recall.:confused:

W.A.T.P.

Operation stop Rangers getting a penalty despite spending 80% camped in and around the St Mirren bus across the 18 yard line, had begun!

I bet that is on his CV too, I beat Rangers in a quarter final but lost the semi final. Bitter James bond baddie looking lady's front bottom

Fourth official standing close to Gaffer why did he not let the ref know they are wired up no excuses.

The league tried to say it couldn't afford multiball and it just appeared this season.

It's just Scottish football wanting to stay in the dark ages, our football culture is actually bizarre.

Don’t like him but he makes a good point
Does he fùck.

He has made up the 'at least half' on the spot. As if Jim Goodwin has studied every penalty award in the league. Total bollocks.

He's a fùcking rentagob balloon.

Does he fùck.

He has made up the 'at least half' on the spot. As if Jim Goodwin has studied every penalty award in the league. Total bollocks.

He's a fùcking rentagob balloon.
Again it was during a press conference, he isn’t going round selling stories to the Record:D

Of course he hasn’t studied every penalty in the league but we can all agree with the quality of reffing in Scotland he probably isn’t that far off.

I do believe he has a good point, when you look beyond the fact it’s coming from him, it’s actually a good idea. The exact same idea Krissy Boyd was talking about on Wednesday night as well

Again it was during a press conference, he isn’t going round selling stories to the Record:D

Of course he hasn’t studied every penalty in the league but we can all agree with the quality of reffing in Scotland he probably isn’t that far off.

I do believe he has a good point, when you look beyond the fact it’s coming from him, it’s actually a good idea. The exact same idea Krissy Boyd was talking about on Wednesday night as well
He's a prìck B-D

Fùck him.

Back