Jim Goodwin slams 'public shaming' after Celtic boss Neil Lennon sparks Covid protocol dispute

BlueMeanie

The Buddies manager wasn't impressed by recent comments from Lennon and Aberdeen gaffer Derek McInnes regarding other clubs' safety measures.

St Mirren manager Jim Goodwin has slammed "public shaming" of Premiership clubs after Neil Lennon claimed Covid protocols weren't up to scratch.
In a bullish press conference on Monday, the Celtic boss singled out St Johnstone and Hamilton Accies for not having adequate facilities for the away team to ensure Covid protocols are followed, as he defended his club's call to travel to Dubai.
Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes then echoed those sentiments as he said: "I have made my concerns known to people at my own club and delegates at a couple of away grounds that we have been to."
But Goodwin insists the comments were like "shooting ourselves in the foot" as he urged caution from his fellow managers.
The Buddies were at the centre of a virus storm themselves when they were instructed to forfeit fixtures against Accies and Motherwell in October, but those games will now be decided on the park after an appeal.

And so the Irish gaffer insists concerns should be dealt with in the right manner.

Goodwin said: "I've got no issues with any of the other clubs out there, and I think we need to be careful within football.

"You listen to these managers out talking other clubs down in the media. I don't think it's healthy and I don't think it's positive.
"If they have concerns, go speak to people higher up in their own clubs and get them to pass on that message back to the clubs it involves and speak to the SFA.
I don't think we need to go publicly shaming anybody, I think every club in the league and the country for that matter are doing the best they can with the facilities we've got available to us."
Goodwin is clear in his conscience that his own club have done everything they can in the crisis to help out visiting teams at the SMISA Stadium.
He added: "We haven't changed a great deal on a matchday, the away team comes in and use our away dressing room, we've given them another couple of rooms off the back of it.
"Some teams that haven't got that facility or don't have as big a dressing room as we have are using parts of the stand.

"I've got no issue with how other teams are doing it, as far as I'm concerned the guidelines have been followed and I think experienced people within the game need to be careful how they put things out in public because every team out there is working very hard with the SPFL and the SFA - and the Government - to keep the game alive.
"I can't understand why some managers feel the need to go out and shoot ourselves in the foot like that.
"I'm not saying, 'don't raise the concerns', but raise the concerns differently."

Goodwin said: "I've got no issues with any of the other clubs out there, and I think we need to be careful within

What does that actually mean?

Either clubs are breaching protocols or they're not?

I don't like Goodwin but he is absolutely correct here, managers like TLB and McInnes should really think before they open their mouth, sometimes its better to say nothing at all and this situation is one example. The two in question do it to try and appear smart, they are kidding no one.

It now makes me sick that mcinnes was part of our 9 in a row.

What a horrible wee man hes turned into and hes now a Celtic sympathiser for whatever reason.

Defo not in keeping with normal Rangers men.

The Buddies manager wasn't impressed by recent comments from Lennon and Aberdeen gaffer Derek McInnes regarding other clubs' safety measures.

St Mirren manager Jim Goodwin has slammed "public shaming" of Premiership clubs after Neil Lennon claimed Covid protocols weren't up to scratch.
In a bullish press conference on Monday, the Celtic boss singled out St Johnstone and Hamilton Accies for not having adequate facilities for the away team to ensure Covid protocols are followed, as he defended his club's call to travel to Dubai.
Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes then echoed those sentiments as he said: "I have made my concerns known to people at my own club and delegates at a couple of away grounds that we have been to."
But Goodwin insists the comments were like "shooting ourselves in the foot" as he urged caution from his fellow managers.
The Buddies were at the centre of a virus storm themselves when they were instructed to forfeit fixtures against Accies and Motherwell in October, but those games will now be decided on the park after an appeal.

And so the Irish gaffer insists concerns should be dealt with in the right manner.

Goodwin said: "I've got no issues with any of the other clubs out there, and I think we need to be careful within football.

"You listen to these managers out talking other clubs down in the media. I don't think it's healthy and I don't think it's positive.
"If they have concerns, go speak to people higher up in their own clubs and get them to pass on that message back to the clubs it involves and speak to the SFA.
I don't think we need to go publicly shaming anybody, I think every club in the league and the country for that matter are doing the best they can with the facilities we've got available to us."
Goodwin is clear in his conscience that his own club have done everything they can in the crisis to help out visiting teams at the SMISA Stadium.
He added: "We haven't changed a great deal on a matchday, the away team comes in and use our away dressing room, we've given them another couple of rooms off the back of it.
"Some teams that haven't got that facility or don't have as big a dressing room as we have are using parts of the stand.

"I've got no issue with how other teams are doing it, as far as I'm concerned the guidelines have been followed and I think experienced people within the game need to be careful how they put things out in public because every team out there is working very hard with the SPFL and the SFA - and the Government - to keep the game alive.
"I can't understand why some managers feel the need to go out and shoot ourselves in the foot like that.
"I'm not saying, 'don't raise the concerns', but raise the concerns differently."

Yep, he's spot on. Can you imagine Lawwell and every tramp associated with the bheasts reactions if anybody had the audacity to criticise celtc in a public forum?

“I can't understand why some managers feel the need to go out and shoot ourselves in the foot like that.”

Oh, I think you know exactly what’s going on here.

Goodwin said: "I've got no issues with any of the other clubs out there, and I think we need to be careful within

What does that actually mean?

Either clubs are breaching protocols or they're not?
Clubs clearly are and it seems tlb is thinking of going nuclear on it. Everyone knows half these clubs aren't fit to swing a cat in never mind social distancing.

Meh. Fūck him. Whether he’s right or wrong he’s still a smelly fud. Rangers should look after ourselves and let the rest of them scrap amongst themselves.

Credit where it's due he's spot on. Any issues should be raised to that club and not in the media.

It's funny how the two managers showing concern are the ones who's players have been pictured sitting round a table in a public bar having beers.
And are under pressure from there own fans.
Sad bastards are using this as a deflection tactic.

I know McInnes isn't the brightest, by a mile!!!

Well, a lot of miles. But he found a chairman, a builder who got lucky in winning various local housing contracts in the mid 80s and managed to exploit it via whatever farmers do in their sheds together. (Some Belter stories about his wife though).

And he's milked it. No team on planet earth would pay for the knowledge of Deek ffs!!!!! He is tied in with Milne on property investments. Not saying anything fraudulent etc but the commitment goes financially greater away from the club. Aberdeen don't / can't / have never paid a manager 750k per year.

Granted, still to this day - no matter the child abuse, land deals, taking ownership of the weak mind SPFL, Spreading COVID - THE never ending list - you will struggle to find a sheep lothario that can't see their way past the hatred of Rangers to acknowledge the cancer of Scottish football.

For what?

Jealosy.

Capital J.

It's funny how the two managers showing concern are the ones who's players have been pictured sitting round a table in a public bar having beers.
Yes, exactly, there was no social distancing in that bar in Dubai, the same with the sheep's eight halfwits earlier in the season, so I suggest that the pair of them get their own house in order before they start throwing accusations about other clubs about. The one and only reason they're coming with this shite now is in the hope that the plug gets pulled on the season. If Covid fc were that concerned about the size of the facilities at St.Johnstone or Hamilton why didn't they raise their concerns at the time, not weeks later in a public outburst by an ugly little Irish gypsy!!!

It now makes me sick that mcinnes was part of our 9 in a row.

What a horrible wee man hes turned into and hes now a Celtic sympathiser for whatever reason.

Defo not in keeping with normal Rangers men.
Not a great fan of McInnes but no way is he a Celtic sympathizer ffs

Back