Jim McColl rumour from Rangers supporter on Clyde SSB

McColl & Douglas Park put the money up to fund the failed bid for the club Walter fronted after Green & Ahmad has seized control.

Not so, I have no inside knowledge on any independence group. But have never seen a media report saying he had donated to anything political, very hard to keep that quiet.
several newspaper articles out there refer to him as one of SNP’s business backers , before they fell out of course.

Jim McColl again how many times it would be great if it was true because he genuinely has the big bucks we need but unfortunately it's not.

When, how much ? Do you have a link? Not saying you’re wrong, I have never seen this mentioned anywhere.

The Scottish Conservatives are demanding the SNP government explains why it loaned taxpayer money to a shipyard owned by one of its wealthiest supporters.

Documents published under freedom of information legislation show that Ferguson Marine Engineering, owned by billionaire Jim McColl, received two loans totalling £45 million.

The initial loan of £15m was made in September 2017 and a subsequent loan of £30m in June this year.

The initial loan was kept secret due to ‘commercial confidentiality’ and has only just come to light.

Concerns have now been raised about why the two loans were needed when the firm has also received almost £100m from publicly funded Calmac to build two ferries.

The Scottish Conservatives have therefore requested that the SNP makes a statement to the Scottish Parliament clarifying all the details.

The SNP has already come under fire for delays to the project, while the company itself is understood to be dissatisfied with ministers’ handling of delays and budget difficulties.

Jamie Greene, Scottish Conservative transport spokesman said: “This SNP Government has a record of secrecy, cover ups, and behind closed-doors deals.

“There are now mounting question marks over its handling of this vital ferries contract, and the suspicion is that the SNP is once again trying to hide the facts from emerging.

“When huge sums of public money are at stake, the public has a right to know what is going.

“The Minister needs to come to the chamber next week and do just that.”

Mr McColl’s company is building the two ferries for the state-run operator Caledonian MacBrayne (CalMac) and said it took the government loans in nine months as it needed “working capital” to diversify the business.

The Port Glasgow yard was acquired by Mr McColl, a Monaco resident and member of the first minister’s council of economic advisers, after it went into administration in 2014. Ferguson’s is owned by Clyde Blowers Capital, Mr McColl’s industrial investment company.

The following year the yard was awarded the ferry contract, securing the jobs of 150 people.

Jim McColl again how many times it would be great if it was true because he genuinely has the big bucks we need but unfortunately it's not.
We have plenty of big bucks invested in Rangers from the current board and investors. How much more do you think JM could put in?

He’s obviously a good businessman and when you see how we’ve been tied up since 2012, I understand why a good businessman Wouldn’t want dragged through it. It’s a different thing from being a good Rangers fan though.
Eh because Green got control we got into this mess. If mccoll bought us before that maybe all the sports direct stuff wouldn't have happened

Agreed. A man who had the finances to help us in our hour of need, but thought “naw, phuck it”.
Phuck him

Forgive me for what will sound like the thickest question ever but when exactly was the hour for him to step in and what could he have done?

The Scottish Conservatives are demanding the SNP government explains why it loaned taxpayer money to a shipyard owned by one of its wealthiest supporters.

Documents published under freedom of information legislation show that Ferguson Marine Engineering, owned by billionaire Jim McColl, received two loans totalling £45 million.

The initial loan of £15m was made in September 2017 and a subsequent loan of £30m in June this year.

The initial loan was kept secret due to ‘commercial confidentiality’ and has only just come to light.

Concerns have now been raised about why the two loans were needed when the firm has also received almost £100m from publicly funded Calmac to build two ferries.

The Scottish Conservatives have therefore requested that the SNP makes a statement to the Scottish Parliament clarifying all the details.

The SNP has already come under fire for delays to the project, while the company itself is understood to be dissatisfied with ministers’ handling of delays and budget difficulties.

Jamie Greene, Scottish Conservative transport spokesman said: “This SNP Government has a record of secrecy, cover ups, and behind closed-doors deals.

“There are now mounting question marks over its handling of this vital ferries contract, and the suspicion is that the SNP is once again trying to hide the facts from emerging.

“When huge sums of public money are at stake, the public has a right to know what is going.

“The Minister needs to come to the chamber next week and do just that.”

Mr McColl’s company is building the two ferries for the state-run operator Caledonian MacBrayne (CalMac) and said it took the government loans in nine months as it needed “working capital” to diversify the business.

The Port Glasgow yard was acquired by Mr McColl, a Monaco resident and member of the first minister’s council of economic advisers, after it went into administration in 2014. Ferguson’s is owned by Clyde Blowers Capital, Mr McColl’s industrial investment company.

The following year the yard was awarded the ferry contract, securing the jobs of 150 people.
I think we are at cross purposes, I am talking about him giving money to the SNP (or any independence group). I see no evidence that he did, but could be proved wrong.

He said that he’s fairly sure (along those lines) that McColl is involved in a plan for investment in the club.

Wishful thinking or any substance to this rumour?

He has been looking for ways to increase his profile again since his fund management company was removed by the LPs last year at CBC. Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a publicity stunt. Don’t expect him to have much liquid capital though so wouldn’t be too excited. If it is true then expect there to be more in it for him than Rangers.

the spivs were not in control . The club was in the hands of the court and administrators . McColl implied he was going to take control of the club from the administrators and then backed out .

Was that not the same experience that Kennedy (from memory) had as well? Basically it was a stitch up at that point and it wouldn't have mattered who came in with what.

Yes as far as I can remember. There may be evidence out there saying he donated, but I’ve not seen any.
You’re now contradicting yourself, above you’ve just agreed he took money but in #125 you suggest cross purposes when provided with evidence.

I can’t believe this is being discussed. I heard him in the car. The guy sounded like he was clutching at straws, was a shocker of a call and painful to listen to.

I think we are at cross purposes, I am talking about him giving money to the SNP (or any independence group). I see no evidence that he did, but could be proved wrong.
I mentioned that he was given money by the SNP. You asked for link/proof, I provided it. Voila

Eh because Green got control we got into this mess. If mccoll bought us before that maybe all the sports direct stuff wouldn't have happened
Eh nobody else was getting us when green got us. That’s the dodgy shit a good businessman sees and avoids eh.

Was that not the same experience that Kennedy (from memory) had as well? Basically it was a stitch up at that point and it wouldn't have mattered who came in with what.
Yes it was dodgy from the minute Whyte walked through the doors and those spiv administrators sauntered in.

Maybe if he’d wanted to invest back then, and did, he’d have been able to save us from Green and the spiv.
To me, he didn’t want to, enough.

And I'm sure that someone will remember the specifics much better than I can. I'm fairly convinced that it was a pre-meditated act to drive Rangers into administration, preferred administrators were then used to ensure that a preferred 'rescue' bid or whatever the next stages are of that led to Green. I'm fairly sure that a suitable bid from another group of actual Rangers fans/investors was rejected despite clearly being a better option (at the time) never mind in hindsight.

And I'm sure that someone will remember the specifics much better than I can. I'm fairly convinced that it was a pre-meditated act to drive Rangers into administration, preferred administrators were then used to ensure that a preferred 'rescue' bid or whatever the next stages are of that led to Green. I'm fairly sure that a suitable bid from another group of actual Rangers fans/investors was rejected despite clearly being a better option (at the time) never mind in hindsight.
The latter would have been the three bears, for sure, any everything else you mention is true.
I was never convinced that McColl had the drive and desire for the job though.
I just didn’t think a guy with that kind of money and, by extension, I believed legal connections, could give up and walk away so easily.
All just an opinion here.

The latter would have been the three bears, for sure, any everything else you mention is true.
I was never convinced that McColl had the drive and desire for the job though.
I just didn’t think a guy with that kind of money and, by extension, I believed legal connections, could give up and walk away so easily.
All just an opinion here.

It doesn't matter how much money you have, you aren't going to throw it away when you've got no chance of getting it or anything else back.

There's only two things in the world worse than listening to Radio Cattolica
1. Phoning then. 2. Believing the halfwits that phone in.

Next

Back