Official Jimmy Bell has passed away

my dads uncle Walter Smith :) worked at Ibrox for 59years
waltersswmith.jpg

Should be very proud of him mate.

Tav said in today's press conference that when he arrived he asked Jimmy for the no.2 shirt. I wonder how much that is anecdotal and did Jimmy actually have an input to which numbers were allocated? Never thought about it before, but would be brilliant if he did.

Last edited:
Tav said in today's press conference that when he arrived he asked Jimmy for the no.2 shirt. I wonder how much that is anecdotal and did Jimmy actually have an input to which numbers were allocated? Never thought about it before, but would be brilliant if he did.
Jimmy probably asked him if he thought he was Gary Stevens B-D

Couldn't believe when I saw the news yesterday, still can't believe it. I'll read a few tributes and it feels like it's sinking in, then I'll think about it again and it's like I'm hearing it for the first time. The brain just doesn't want it to be true.

I realised later on that I basically don't remember Rangers without Jimmy Bell. When I was a kid he was the guy that might appear in the squad photo, I didn't know his name or what his job was, then later he was always there on the bench with Walter, Advocate or McLeish. And then in later years I appreciated him just as the total embodiment of our club's values, a fan inside the club representing us all, a walking demonstration for any new player of what it takes to be a Rangers player.

I know there are probably other people who have a special status at other clubs that we never hear about, but the thing that strikes me the most about Jimmy Bell is I can't think of another person in football who meant so much and was such an icon at their club without being a player, manager/coach or chairman/board member. There really was only one Jimmy Bell.

Players' tributes have been unbelievable - Tavernier, Gough, McCoist, Bassey, Defoe, Goldson, Davis, de Boer to name just a few. Just genuinely blown away by what these guys are saying and the respect they had for him.

RIP Jimmy.

Now thats a classy way to behave and meanwhile in this backward anti Protestant country, our media fail to report the sectarian and damn right offensive comments about the man and Im sure that Celtic have said nothing about Jimmy bells passing...

Jimmy bell is more famous than their players and that totally galls them...

Kicker also done a piece on Jimmy. They compared him to Hamburg masseur Hermann Rieger, who worked there for 26 years before passing in 2014.

Paraphrasing, but the article signs off with "for a club like Leipzig, such history is a contrast of the highest kind".

Ouch. Is that how the German press generally treat Leipzig?

And do Tedesco and/or the players ever make a comment on it (or get questioned)?

Just occurred to me that he's probably the only person (or one of very few) to be a part of the club during our downfall and our entire journey back to the top of Scottish football.

Speaks volumes of the club and the man that they stuck together through the toughest of times.

He's never short or a word or two, but it only took Super a few brief sentences to convey a perfect tribute.

Jimmy Bell seemed to provide generations of players and management at Ibrox the same reference point, sounding board, confidante, arm round the shoulder or kick up the arse that the "Boot Room" at Anfield was said to provide for the great Liverpool teams of the 70s and 80s.

The tributes from current players and legends that were at the club for a long time were expected, but it's moving how many players who only spent a brief spell at the club and may not have even had a successful Rangers career had personal memories and tributes to share.

Come on the Rangers ! We have to do this for Walter, Sandy,Jimmy, the 66 and all the other Bears that are no longer with us.

Minutes silence tomorrow confirmed by the club.
I do believe Jimmy was no fan of the minutes applause, i remember one match where a minutes applause was taking place (Tynecastle?) when it first became the thing, Jimmy stood with his head bowed hands behind his back showing silent respect the way it should be done.
It is only fitting that us bears have a minute to reflect on just what and who he was.

I do believe Jimmy was no fan of the minutes applause, i remember one match where a minutes applause was taking place (Tynecastle?) when it first became the thing, Jimmy stood with his head bowed hands behind his back showing silent respect the way it should be done.
It is only fitting that us bears have a minute to reflect on just what and who he was.
It was for Jimmy Johnstone and its why Celtic fans hated Jimmy, apparently dignified silence was disrespectful

Minutes applause was invented by poets because they can't keep there mouths shut

It was for Jimmy Johnstone and its why Celtic fans hated Jimmy, apparently dignified silence was disrespectful
The picture of him doing that is doing the rounds on the likes of Kerrydale Street and other tim sites, and that's why they hated him and are rejoicing in his passing because in their diseased, fevered minds, that was him disrespecting Jimmy Johnstone. Nothing could be further from the truth, but tims need hate in their hearts to function in life. They can't live without it, and they don't want to.

Last edited:
Thats the excuse they use to hate him.
That he refused to honour an ex Celtic player.

The picture of him doing that is doing the rounds on the likes of Kerrydale Street and other tim sites, and that's why they hated him and are rejoicing in his passing because in their diseased, fevered minds, that was him disrespecting Jimmy Johnstone. Nothing could be further from the truth, but tims need hate in their hearts to function in life. They can't live without it, and they don't want to.
Thats the excuse they use to hate him.
That he refused to honour an ex Celtic player.

So glad there will be a minutes silence, the proper way to pay respect. The Tims twisting of why Jimmy paid his respect to Jimmy Johnstone in his own way that day - and the right way if you ask me - is repugnant. Clear to any sane minded individual what he was doing.

I am going up to the stadium around 4 today and would like to pay my respects. Is there an area to lay a strip/scarf for Jimmy?

As we get closer to the match, it’s sinking in that our kitman won’t be there.

All the stories from players current and past about how he helped them and attended to them - there will be a huge void without him there. Best tribute that can be paid is to go out and win this match - hopefully the players can channel the emotion that way.

Reading all the tributes has reminded me of many people I’ve known or worked with who were typically more of a behind the scenes type but filled that role of geeing folk up, keeping you on your toes, sorting out your problems and being a support as you needed it.
An invaluable part of any organisation - being at the heart of it all and demonstrating consistency & commitment that few others can match.

He will be missed.

I think it will feel worse for Tav. Jimmy used to put the captains armband on him just before taking to field.
Wonder who will do that now?

Back