Jimmy Bell - The kit man who doesn't like giving out kit

SDF

Any subscribers of The Athletic should read this. It is absolutely brilliant. Players past and present telling their favourite stories about Jimmy Bell

https://theathletic.com/1774862/2020/09/26/jimmy-bell-rangers-kit-man-Ibrox/

Lorenzo Amoruso :

"It’s unbelievable how good Jimmy is in everything he does. I joined Rangers after having an operation on my achilles. I was sponsored by Reebok at the time and, to help me get back fit, they gave me a special pair of running shoes.

On the side there was a little bit of green. Not even a bright green, a dark green. I went for a shower and a massage on my achilles. I went back to the dressing room and I couldn’t find the shoes so I was thinking, “What the fúck is going on?”.

Someone said to me Jimmy threw them in the bin so I went to see him. He looked at me and said: “The green doesn’t go in this fúcking dressing room Lorenzo. You’re not using them any more”.

It's a good read and seems to get his personality across.

The Marco Negri and James Beattie stories made me laugh.

He clearly lives and breathes the club and the players all have huge respect for him.

I met him in the airport on the day the team were flying out to play Villareal (the last 16 game) we had a blether, he was sound.

I mind watching the game in the boozer in Gran Canaria and the camera panned to wee Jimmy, my other half at the time said to me, ‘that’s that wee guy you were talking to in the airport’ :D

Amo used to wear black and green lotto boots if I remember right so I’m calling bullshit on this story

Loved reading that.

These kind of stories are why The Athletic is worth the subscription. I don't know if all teams get such good coverage but the teams I follow it's all top notch.

Loved Bob Malcom's story on the 4ladshadadream podcast on helicopter Sunday the players went into the dressing room expecting to have nothing to wear as they didn't expect to win the league but when they went back in Jimmy Bell had a hamper full of t shirts that he secretly brought with him for the players to change into

Mate of mine is a cousin of Declan John. When he signed for Rangers he was told that his wardrobe was to contain nothing green and on no account could he be seen in anything green, including when visiting family back home, not even socks and pants. Told him that that would have been Jimmy Bell....

Mate of mine is a cousin of Declan John. When he signed for Rangers he was told that his wardrobe was to contain nothing green and on no account could he be seen in anything green, including when visiting family back home, not even socks and pants. Told him that that would have been Jimmy Bell....
Is your mate Philip by chance?

We must never stop employing staunch Rangers people right through the club.

Not everyone, obviously, as we must have those with the best ability for the job. But a core who get the club and get what it means is essential.
Unlike Martin Baines who felt that Bears should never be employed, because they were so star struck. :rolleyes:

Back