Jimmy Bell

Ünnëcëssärÿ Ümläüts

Official Ticketer
Seen him mentioned on quite a few posts recently and also the Windass video in Florida. It has got me thinking about what he does for the club and I have to admit, even though I’ve seen him at the club for decades I never really knew what he did.

Now obviously he’s the kit man, but can anyone tell me what that means as a job? I assume he’s not involved in coaching, but I’ve read that he’s been a father figure to many young players (despite always seeming grumpy!!)

So if any of you can shed some light on what he’s done for the club over the years, I feel he deserves some praise.

Kitman for a club our size is a full time job, and then some. There's a hell of a lot more to it than setting out the training and matchday gear.

Crazy hours and there's been nobody more dedicated to Rangers than wee Jimmy.

He's a moany wee bastard though. Can't be arsed with you one minute to the point of ignorance then the next day he could talk the ears off you such were his mood swings.

All in all a good guy but, and let's be honest he's done a job for the best part of his life that he loves.

Does Jimmy drive the team bus, or did I dream that?

He was the team bus driver for the best part of around 25 years if not more

It was under Graeme Souness that he became a full time employee of Rangers before he worked for Parks of Hamilton

George Souter was the kitman and Jimmy used to help him and after he retired Jimmy got the full-time gig as kitman

Probably one of the best jobs in the world.

He looks like a right miserable (unt though.

Does his son not help him now?

He definitely leads the sash bash on the bus.

When did he start?

Must have seen off a few managers now?

With us I think around 1988 there is a article in the Rangers News about him becoming full-time before that maybe 1984 or 1985 under Parks

Probably from Jock Wallace 2nd spell work under 12 managers

Wallace, Souness, Smith, Advocaat, McLeish, Le Guen, Smith, McCoist, McCall, Warburton, Caixinha, Murty

To answer your other question his son does work with us I think as Under 20s kitman

Last edited:
He's still got jet black hair . If he's been with us since 1984 and drove for parks of Hamilton before that, what age must he be?

Used to drive our supporters bus when he worked for Irvines of Law.
Domestic and European trips late seventies early eighties.
I’m sure he took a bus to Gornik which was late 87 so probably with us 88 at earliest so rangeral correct.

I used to work with his son Laurie in Greaves Sports years ago. Nice guy. Remember playing football with his other boy who's name escapes me (skinhead) and he was a bit of a mad bastard

When we won the league at Tannadice in 1990 a group of us went up early and bought tickets at the ground for the home end.

We ended up wandering about the pitch as the gate was open and Jimmy came out and was happy to talk to us (at that time) youngsters about the Rangers.

What though? That's what the OP wants to know and I'm curious too.
Sorts the kit for training and matchdays, wash kits, towels etc, makes sure the dressing rooms are clean and ready, drinks, controls the stock and stores, looks after the boots, player liason, basically he sorts whatever the Staff need, he will also liase with other clubs regarding kit clashes etc and with the kit manufacturers for players individual likes and dislikes.

and he drives the bus.

Steaua Bucharest away in March 1988 was his 1st game as a full-time employee of us

5ebs0m.jpg

You know what I find bonkers about the mutants and their song about him.

Genuinely couldn't name their coaches never mind their kitman. A strange breed.
Exactly. I just about remember Brenda’s assistant and that’s it. They are a very strange bunch.

You know what I find bonkers about the mutants and their song about him.

Genuinely couldn't name their coaches never mind their kitman. A strange breed.

Likewise but I do know who their kitman ias he been there for past 20 years + John Clark

Sorts the kit for training and matchdays, wash kits, towels etc, makes sure the dressing rooms are clean and ready, drinks, controls the stock and stores, looks after the boots, player liason, basically he sorts whatever the Staff need, he will also liase with other clubs regarding kit clashes etc and with the kit manufacturers for players individual likes and dislikes.

and he drives the bus.

Thanks mate

Did the matchday tour not long ago, and the fella taking us round told us that the de Boers said JB was the best kit man they'd ever worked with.
Considering the clubs they'd been at, that's quite a compliment.

Seems to be a complete change of opinion on him compared to what the majority of posters on FF were saying 3 or 4 years ago at the height of the spivs reign!

Seen him down Livingston centre a few times, i assume he lives out this way? He should definitely write a book!

I used to work with his son Laurie in Greaves Sports years ago. Nice guy. Remember playing football with his other boy who's name escapes me (skinhead) and he was a bit of a mad bastard

I played B.B. and league football with Laurie for years. He was a great keeper, but daft as a fucking brush :)

Back