Jimmy Bell

With us I think around 1988 there is a article in the Rangers News about him becoming full-time before that maybe 1984 or 1985 under Parks

Probably from Jock Wallace 2nd spell work under 11 managers

Wallace, Smith, Advocaat, McLeish, Le Guen, Smith, McCoist, McCall, Warburton, Caixinha, Murty

To answer your other question his son does work with us I think as Under 20s kitman

Was he banished under Souness? :p

What though? That's what the OP wants to know and I'm curious too.
He gets the kit sorted and does a lot of the wee jobs that are needed but know one really knows about

Much needed man and a true bear

Think he took over from wee Doddy Souter if I’m correct

oops :oops:

make that 12
Or 11 if you only count Smith once. Or back to 12 if you count Murty twice. But if you discount the first stint because he was only caretaker, then wasn't McCall only a caretaker boss too? And Durrant had us for one game. BTW, I'm not taking any of this seriously, just winding you up a bit mate.

He gets the kit sorted and does a lot of the wee jobs that are needed but know one really knows about

Much needed man and a true bear

Think he took over from wee Doddy Souter if I’m correct

I'm sure I read/heard that he puts the names on the back of the tops.

Or 11 if you only count Smith once. Or back to 12 if you count Murty twice. But if you discount the first stint because he was only caretaker, then wasn't McCall only a caretaker boss too? And Durrant had us for one game. BTW, I'm not taking any of this seriously, just winding you up a bit mate.

11 different manager including Smith twice
McCall is list as manager on our website even although it was a short term deal so Murty's current spell should treated the same?

Wee Doddie (George Soutar) started work with us under David Holmes. David Holmes had senior position in John Lawrence builders. Lawrence Marlborough transferred him to Rangers to sort us out ( I personally felt it was to make us sellable). He contacted Doddie who had retired from Lawrence builders group to keep him company at Ibrox and help clean the dressing rooms. The rest is history.

Steaua Bucharest away in March 1988 was his 1st game as a full-time employee of us

5ebs0m.jpg

He could be Murty’s da!

He used to pick me up at my house in Epsom mid 80s when my brother used to run a bus from Shotts en route to , I think places like Milan , Porto etc via Dover
Long before cheap midweek flights

My friend used to be the kit manager at one of the Prem clubs that go up and down. Main kit man has a team working for them and needs to get everything right for the players and managers. Training kit, Match day kit, boots, drinks and so on.
Sometimes he would be in till about 10pm the night before a match to get everything ready.

Eventually he shared the coach driving role as well.

After they returned home it would be kit ready to be washed and back in the next day.

Easy 60 hour week on a good week.

They do a lot more than people think and its important to get the right man in place for the players and management team to trust.

I used to work with his son Laurie in Greaves Sports years ago. Nice guy. Remember playing football with his other boy who's name escapes me (skinhead) and he was a bit of a mad bastard[/QUOTE]

Martin per chance? Been on the Wishae bus with him a few times when I was younger. J.B. Is a top bloke

He's the kit man, it's that simple, he looks after all things in that department. You'll see him loading the van after most games, at the front of the Main Stand, just don't try and talk to him..........

The only kit man in football to have his very own song.

He also does the shirt printing. That must take up a day in itself every week.

Seen him down Livingston centre a few times, i assume he lives out this way? He should definitely write a book!

Unless he has moved he stayed in Wishaw as i was his postman and he would speak to us first thing in the morning while out walking his dog.
Decent guy.

As well as dealing with many routine issues with the kit logistics, he performs a zillion and one ad hoc duties as and when required.
If it's needing done he makes it happen.
My sons are great buddies with one of his sons and I can say with confidence that his staunchness is never to be doubted.
And the recent (completely unjustified) targeting of him by the mentally challengeds has absolutely zero impact on him. :D

He's the kit man, it's that simple, he looks after all things in that department. You'll see him loading the van after most games, at the front of the Main Stand, just don't try and talk to him..........

It might just be as simple as that. But what a job. As others have said, his book would be fantastic if he wrote one.

Was it John and Frances that had the Tap Shop then @Mamabear56 , or did they take it over later.

Sadly, both passed away now, but I'm still close friends with their two lads

It was Jim and Margaret, they moved to Torphichen . John and Frances then bought it, had many a good night in the Tap Shop. I know Ian, but not seen him in years.

Last edited:
Often think about the massive task it must be to take the squad abroad. Take florida trip for example, how many weeks/months planning and organising did that take?

I'm sure the players and management have a strict itinery, and they'll want all their kit and equipment ready when it's required. Wouldn't want to be in his shoes if he forgot to pack some stuff would you??

I'll go to the bad fire, for bringing up Kenny McDowall.

I used to work with his son Laurie in Greaves Sports years ago. Nice guy. Remember playing football with his other boy who's name escapes me (skinhead) and he was a bit of a mad bastard

Used to meet his son now and then in a few pubs in Wishaw back in the 90's. Like myself he enjoyed a few beers and wee sing song.

Don't turn this into a jimmy Bell bashing thread,I've met him a few times and he's a top bloke who's every bit as much a Bear as we are?
I've ever met him but I love him.
So far this thread hasn't even can close to your fear so hopefully we/this thread can all enjoy the proper man that is Jimmy Bell.

The poets have a song about him so he must be doing something right.
What the fu*k!I didn’t know this.What the fu*k is a kitman being sung about?They are a demented shower of shite.Whats the song about?Fair enough a player but a kitman!Obssessed is not the word.They are stalkers.

What the fu*k!I didn’t know this.What the fu*k is a kitman being sung about?They are a demented shower of shite.Whats the song about?Fair enough a player but a kitman!Obssessed is not the word.They are stalkers.
They start by singing they hope he does then call him an Orange bastard.
Needless to say I've never seen a thing about it in the press.

There is a lot more to the job than picking up sweaty underpants and preparing the match day and training equipment. As someone said can you imagine going to the States for a tour and making sure he had every to cover each player. If he wrote a book I would buy it.

He must have seen every dressing room celebration and fight over the last thirty years. What a book he could write. I suspect he's got far too much integrity and respect to do such a thing though. Lives a few streets away from me in Wishaw and i see him all the time out walking his dogs.

Disgusting that song - Racist/sectarian and encouragment to violence - I ask you

"I hope he dies". Where's NBM or Kick it out when you need them?

Back