Jimmy Calderwood

Sat beside JC at a function once - great company.

Assured me that no way would Sone Aluko be allowed to sign for "them" while he was Aberdoom manager. Also said that he made sure that the passcode to the players lounge at Pittodrie was 1 6 9 0.

Not sure if he was winding me up re the passcode. :))

Just been on Radio Scotland with his wife talking about his dementia/ Alzheimer's. Said he loves talking about his team ,The Rangers.His wife said she sometimes takes him for a wee drive round Ibrox to cheer him up. Also said he misses hearing from football folk etc. Hopefully maybe the club can organise a wee tour or something to keep his spirits up. Good luck to him and his family anyway. Horrible disease.
Met him outside the stadium a few times; and the guy was quite poorly.
One occasion he was unaccompanied, to my surprise. On another, he was quite sharp with me when I spoke to him; but this indeed is the illness speaking, not the person. Also, the death of his dear friend Roger Hynd would undoubtedly have affected him; both of them attending Ibrox regularly in each other`s company. The two of them also used to travel down to Birmingham City FPA functions; they both were present at the 140 year anniversary dinner in 2015; at which they both took time to speak with me. A fine man is Jimmy, my good wishes to you sir.

The four clubs that Jimmy managed in Scotland should get together and arrange a benefit night for him, as should Birmingham City who he was at from the age of 15

Horrible disease.
I remember in a previous job we had dementia awareness training. The trainer had us write down 5 of our happiest memories, people were writing the birth of their kids, wedding day, family holidays, etc.
He then took 2 off each person and scrunched them up into a ball and threw them in the bin, not letting us see which ones we "kept" and which we "forgot". Was pretty hard hitting.
Wish him all the best.

Hate seeing things like this, horrible illness, all the best to Jimmy and his family

One of the good guys is Jimmy.

Horrible to read this.

Wishing him & his family the very best against this terrible illness.

Wee story from his Birmingham days.
Wee bud had signed for Birmingham after coming back from Canada & bud phones John Greig saying there's a boy here desperate to play for the gers & he's out of contract.
Greig organised a behind closed doors game, can't remember who they played but we won 7-1 & JC scored but we didn't offer him a deal.
I think Jimmy then moved to Holland where he done well.
I met him about 4 years ago in the Blue room & he was winding Greig up saying " you should have signed me I would have saved your job "
Calderwood was having a laugh but JG just mumbled & shuffled away.
Like Jimmy Calderwood

Just been on Radio Scotland with his wife talking about his dementia/ Alzheimer's. Said he loves talking about his team ,The Rangers.His wife said she sometimes takes him for a wee drive round Ibrox to cheer him up. Also said he misses hearing from football folk etc. Hopefully maybe the club can organise a wee tour or something to keep his spirits up. Good luck to him and his family anyway. Horrible disease.
I work with one of his former charges from his time in charge of Aberdeen. Not a bad word to say about the man. Terrible disease, I wish Jimmy and his family well.

@Greg Marshall

That’s a horrible read. :(

I'll always remember a story Jimmy Nicholl, told when JC and him were the management team at Dunfermline.
He said that they were taking a training session, in preperation for the weekend game against Rangers.
One of the players, shouted to Jimmy Calderwood. "Hey gaffer. You're no caring what the score is on Saturday, either way your team's gonnae win."

Im sure he was pictured in the Rangers end at Hampden during an old firm game while he was a manager in Scotland, maybe Dunfermline.
Not many knew he was a Rangers man until then.

A wonderful man and tremendous Ranger.
I hope he gets to see some of the nice things written about him on this thread.

Perhaps his health stood in the way but in 2012 we could have done a lot worse than use JC and his knowledge and contacts in the Dutch game than end up with some of the fucking roasters that ended up pulling on our jersey.

Celtic played Dunfermline on the opening day of the 2003/04 season and apparently JC had not been shy about how he and his side planned on making Chris Sutton a sorry man for calling their professionalism into question the previous season.
Full time 0-0.

Well in Jimmy.

Had a close family member pass away of it at the same age as Jimmy is just now . When it strikes relatively young people it tends to be more aggressive. I know much more about dementia now than I ever did before , until it hits your family and the shock of it you tend to regard it as an old persons disease . Sadly and heart breaking as it is it also affects younger people , even people as young as 40 . My wish for Jimmy is the same as for all sufferers regardless of age , that they can go without suffering too much and too long .

Had a good chat with him and Jimmy Nicholl after we won the league on last day against Dunfermline. They were on the same flight as me on the way back down to London. Good guy.

A wonderful man and tremendous Ranger.
I hope he gets to see some of the nice things written about him on this thread.

Perhaps his health stood in the way but in 2012 we could have done a lot worse than use JC and his knowledge and contacts in the Dutch game than end up with some of the fucking roasters that ended up pulling on our jersey.

Celtic played Dunfermline on the opening day of the 2003/04 season and apparently JC had not been shy about how he and his side planned on making Chris Sutton a sorry man for calling their professionalism into question the previous season.
Full time 0-0.

Well in Jimmy.
Great post Bobby; terrific last paragraph; events that are seldom remembered.

Sorry to hear this. In his football career, Jimmy never wasted a day. Still recall, with a smile,his 2-2-4s or was it 1-1-8 when chasing a goal.

Something which makes me chuckle is a match at Ibrox when we were giving Dunfermline a pasting, I think it finished around 6-0, during the Smith era I think. During the 2nd half as it was obvious what was happening he made a triple substitution with 3 six footers striding onto the park, still makes me laugh.

A great guy and a far better manager than he was ever given credit for.
His managerial track record was certainly superior to the likes of Levein and Clarke who managed to get themselves the Scotland job.

It’s a real bastard of a disease. Horrible to think that a such a vibrant guy is afflicted as still a young age.

65 as well, seems relatively young.

Always associate dementia with the elderly (clearly my misjudgement).

One of the good guys and a character. It's a terrible disease, it's sad to see, and I wish Jimmy and his family all the best.

When he was at Ross County I had breakfast in an Inverness hotel a few times with him. A really genuine guy who was passionate about Rangers. His dream was to sort out county and hopefully Donald Park would sort him out for Ibrox.

genuine man sad to hear this.

Wee story from his Birmingham days.
Wee bud had signed for Birmingham after coming back from Canada & bud phones John Greig saying there's a boy here desperate to play for the gers & he's out of contract.
Greig organised a behind closed doors game, can't remember who they played but we won 7-1 & JC scored but we didn't offer him a deal.
I think Jimmy then moved to Holland where he done well.
I met him about 4 years ago in the Blue room & he was winding Greig up saying " you should have signed me I would have saved your job "
Calderwood was having a laugh but JG just mumbled & shuffled away.
Like Jimmy Calderwood
Love John Greig but he should never have been given the Managers job.

Sad to hear that about Jimmy. His father worked in the same office as myself during the 90's, he was Rangers daft and was proud as punch telling me of Jimmy working towards his coaching badges by spending a couple of weeks shadowing Wattie at Ibrox.

I was at Hospitality when he was Dunfermline Manager. He came in and told the assembled guests what his plans were to beat us.
Finished up by saying that his dad would batter him if they won God Bless him NS

One of the good guys, for sure.

My Dutch mate (a Willem II supporter) will be saddened to hear of Jimmy's illness, as he both played for and managed Willem II back in the day.

The home game against Willem II, had that been possible, would have been such a great opportunity for the club to introduce him to both sets of fans.

I remember sitting outside Sinky's one evening in Magaluf years ago with my mates. Jimmy Calderwood walked slowly past arm in arm with his wife, as he passed he slowed down and looked in to the bar and you could see he was absolutely itching to come in. A couple of us shouted at him to come in for a pint and he just grinned and pointed at his Mrs who was shaking her head. All the best Jimmy, keep fighting.

Back