Jimmy Greaves debut for West Ham - check out the playing surface at Maine Road!

I’ve played on worse. At least the ball seems to be travelling over it!

Love a right good hoof up the pitch by the goalie tbh. You don’t see enough of that these days, but he’s made a rip roaring c unt of that one Corrigan for the 4th

Kit man's going to need a few more boxes of Daz after that.

Interesting to compare the policing of football then to now. Quick walk up the touchline then sit down and watch the game.

Enjoyed watching that clip.
Question for the older bears; How good was Greaves? Have read articles about him before and he seemed highly regarded.

Players don’t know there born these days with the quality of pitches now, take this photo from 1969 league cup final Swindon v Arsenal, match was played a few days after the horse of the year show, crazy

A similar pitch, and famous incident during the game.

I was at that very game . We were supossed to go to Old Trafford which was called off so they took us to Derby .School trip
City were top of the league if i mind right ,at least prior to the match

There was some real mudheaps in the seventies both here and in England. Wembley league cup final Arsenal v Swindon, The piggery SC quarter final v Us. The worst of them all has to be the baseball ground in Derby where even in summer was like something out of WW1.

I've seen that clip numerous times, and let's face it quagmires like that were common place at the time. The Baseball Ground, Upton Park being particularly bad.

Back