Jimmy Greaves has left us.

4152.jpg
Sad news Saint and Greavsie was top viewing,both gone now.

Just seeing that in SSN.

A proper striker. One of the best the UK has ever produced.

I was too young to see him as a player but loved him with Ian St John on Saint & Greavsie.

Hope he is at peace now.

Really sorry to hear that news. What a great football player he was. One of the true greats of 1960's English football.

RIP Jimmy. One of the greatest strikers of his era. A true character and many of his will remember his fantastic partnership with Ian St John, on Saint and Greavsie, growing up.

A man who, like so many others, suffered his demons but they can affect him no longer.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Before my time, but was always rated as one of the best finishers the UK has ever seen.
From memory, he considered one of his goals against us in the cup winners cup his best.

Sorry to hear this, his playing days were before my time. Always used to watch Saint & Greavsie as a boy. Thoughts to his family

Well before my time but clearly a character and a well loved personality.

I remember watching Saint and Greavsie when I was a young pup. Great show and full of laughs.

RIP Jimmy. Will be sad today at the Spurs v Chelsea game.

Sad news.

Absolutely loved The Saint and Greavsie.

Lived to a decent age which is good.

Greavsie was the greatest goalscorer Britain has ever produced and appointment viewing on a Saturday lunchtime alongside the Saint. An absolute legend.
Was a little before my time, but like many enjoyed him and the Saint on tv. But his record was phenomenal and the footage of him bears that out. Always really felt for him that he was desperately unfortunate to miss out on a WC final place

Shame, him and Saint were good on a Saturday lunchtime before you went to the game years ago. He was quite funny and used to make Saint piss himself laughing. Always used to get tore into Scottish goalkeepers. Don’t think he ever got over not playing in the 66 world cup final and hit the drink.

Awwww what shite news to wake up too. His Tv show on a Saturday’s were must watch TV & a huge part of my childhood growing up. His goal scoring records stand up with the best. RIP Legend.

Question for our older bears...
Did he ever play against Rangers ?

His TV show was a part of regular football TV in our house growing up.

RIP Greavsie,

What a player.

Injury cost him a place in England's World Cup winning team in 1966, and I always remember him at the side of the pitch at the final whistle, looking on in his suit. If ever I've seen a man with conflicting emotions it was Jimmy Greaves that day.

I remember one time he waxed lyrical about the Rangers fans on his show. It was when we played the great Spurs side in the ECWC in 62-63. He said that they came out the tunnel at White Hart Lane and the stadium was packed with Rangers fans making a hell of a din, all convinced they were going to win. We lost 5-2.

RIP Jimmy Greaves.

Thanks for the memories on and off the park.

My late father and grandfather couldn’t speak more highly of him.They said his pace was exceptional as was his finishing.Very unlucky to be injured before 1966 W.C final one he would definitely have played in.Very sad for football.

Back