Jimmy Greaves in hospital.

Just started a thread as well. No suggestion that it’s covid related.

He’s been ill for a while now after suffering a terrible stroke I few years ago. I only got round to watching the BT Sport film about him last week, didn’t realise how good a finisher he was.

Sad news, hope he gets better soon.

Was reading not so long ago about his transfer from AC Milan to Spurs, and how the fee was £99,999 so he didn’t have the pressure of being the first £100,000 player.

Bad time to be in hospital especially if he doesn't have covid 19, hope he improves and gets home asap.

Just started a thread as well. No suggestion that it’s covid related.

He’s been ill for a while now after suffering a terrible stroke I few years ago. I only got round to watching the BT Sport film about him last week, didn’t realise how good a finisher he was.

Thoroughly enjoyed the film when it was on last month.
He really was a very special player. It's amazing that they reckon he failed in Italy yet still scored something like 9 goals in 13 games which is excellent in Italy.
Get well soon Jimmy.

All the very best Jimmy. The greatest goal scorer of them all according to his peers. His stats are just incredible. Hope he gets home soon.

Greavsie was a very good player, but he's been ill for quite some time unfortunately,

I'm convinced of this as well if he is still alive get well soon greavsey
Add me to the list that thought that.

Back to the Saint and Greavsie show - my favourite ever episode was the one where he presented the entire show wearing a syrup and then took it off at the end, it was an April Fool stunt :)

Greavsie, one of the very, very few of England's International players I liked, respected and appreciated.

I also reflect on Saturday, 31st October 1987 and the Saint & Greavsie show at lunchtime on network TV. Scottish football was not shown live outside of Scotland then. Ian St John introduces the goals from the Scottish League Cup Final played the previous Sunday. A magnificent game, Rangers v Aberdeen ends 3 v 3 then 5 v 3 to the Gers on pens after ET which St John acknowledges was very exciting.

Cue Greavsie saying," I would have loved to see that final live" (instead of whatever drab English game was shown simultaneously). Then Greavsie goes on to say, "That final should have been shown across the whole UK network".

Not only could Greavsie play football he knew the game well as an analyst long after he retired, His opinions were comic but good value too on that football show which competed with the rather staid and serious BBC's Football Focus.

Last edited:
Great memories of Saint & Greavsie as a kid. I didnt realise he was still around. Covid or not, it’s not a great time to be ill. Hope he makes a recovery.

Certainly doesn’t keep well. His son was speaking on talkSPORT recently. I may have picked him up wrongly and apologies if I have but I thought he said he had difficulties speaking

Saddened by this, get well soon Greavsie.

Always thought that young jimmy greaves and old jimmy greaves looked like 2 completely different people

That's what alcoholism does to a person sadly.

The signs aren't good. One of the greatest british players ever.

Certainly doesn’t keep well. His son was speaking on talkSPORT recently. I may have picked him up wrongly and apologies if I have but I thought he said he had difficulties speaking

Yeah, I'm sure it was a series of strokes that left him wheelchair bound and with real difficulty communicating.

Hope he pulls through, what a player he was. Always loved the Saint and greavdie show when I was younger

Sad news. Hope he recovers.

Checked out his stats a while ago when I had a discussion about great strikers in the English game with a friend at work (a man Utd fan who didn´t know who Denis Law was!). I said that Jimmy Greaves might well have been the best English striker ever, after I checked out his stats I believe that would hold up in court.

Spurs have confirmed Jimmy Greaves is in hospital, breaking on SSN just now.

I only ever knew Greavsie from the TV in the 80s but watching the BT Sport film the other night, what a goal scorer he was.
One of the best he was. The Spurs Glory glory team of the 60s were amazing. They gave our great team of the early to mid 60s a beating home and away.

Greavsie, one of the very, very few of England's International players I liked, respected and appreciated.

I also reflect on Saturday, 31st October 1987 and the Saint & Greavsie show at lunchtime on network TV. Scottish football was not shown live outside of Scotland then. Ian St John introduces the goals from the Scottish League Cup Final played the previous Sunday. A magnificent game, Rangers v Aberdeen ends 3 v 3 then 5 v 3 to the Gers on pens after ET which St John acknowledges was very exciting.

Cue Greavsie saying," I would have loved to see that final live" (instead of whatever drab English game was shown simultaneously). Then Greavsie goes on to say, "That final should have been shown across the whole UK network".

Not only could Greavsie play football he knew the game well as an analyst long after he retired, His opinions were comic but good value too on that football show which competed with the rather staid and serious BBC's Football Focus.
Ian St John was co commentator to Jock Brown that day

Sad news. Hope he recovers.

Checked out his stats a while ago when I had a discussion about great strikers in the English game with a friend at work (a man Utd fan who didn´t know who Denis Law was!). I said that Jimmy Greaves might well have been the best English striker ever, after I checked out his stats I believe that would hold up in court.
My old man would have backed you up. He reckoned he was one of the greatest strikers he had ever seen in the flesh.

Get well jimmy, him and the saint forerunners for the pundits we have now. They were in a different league compared to some on tv now.

I was lucky enough as a youngster to be taken by relatives down south to see Spurs play,and Jimmy played ,and scored. A match at Walsall iirc around Jan 1968;and still in the school xmas holidays.
The programme signed by Jimmy came up for sale on eBay;and guessing I`d never meet him again; I bought it.
In conversation with the guy who sold me the programme, I mentioned that Spurs had hosted his family at a recent game at their new stadium;but Jimmy was too ill to attend.
Guy said to me,yes,apparently they`ve told him he won`t be able to walk again.
Whether true or not,such a sad thing to hear about a wonderful footballer.
I saw a tweet of his( more probably on his behalf) when Alan Gilzean died, the location (iirc) was Christchurch on England`s south coast; so at least his latter years have been spent in a beautiful part of the world.
All the very best to you,Jimmy.

Sad news .Saw him play at Ibrox in a pre season friendly about 1969. It was Baxter’s first game back. Think Spurs won 1-0 but although Greavsie didnt score he got a great reception from the Rangers fans. Get well soon

Back