Jimmy Nicholl insists Gerrard’s critics have no idea how bad a state Rangers were in a year ago

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
JIMMY NICHOLL has rubbished suggestions Rangers have not progressed under Steven Gerrard – insisting those criticising the Ibrox boss have no idea how bad a state the club was in 12 months ago.

Nicholl was placed in caretaker charge for the final three games of last season after interim manager Graeme Murty was sacked on the back of two devastating defeats to Celtic.

The likes of pundit Chris Sutton have questioned whether the Light Blues are really any better off under the former Liverpool skipper than they were with Murty at the helm.

Rangers – who have had to contend with the extra burden of 10 Europa League games this term – have 66 points after 33 games last term, just four more at the same stage last season.

And they are only two points closer to their Old Firm rivals than a year ago with the Hoops currently on course for an eighth straight title having built up an 11-point advantage this time round.

But Nicholl insists anyone looking behind the scenes will be left in no doubt about how big the strides forward have been.

The Northern Irishman – now assisting Oran Kearney at St Mirren – said: “Yes there has been progress this year, but everybody just wants progress quicker.

“Hopefully whatever happens in the summer means it will be a lot different next year.

“If you only look at the facts and figures you might say there’s not been much progress – but yes there has. Just look at how the place was.

“People don’t know what it was like inside, so they turn round and say there’s been no progress. But I’m telling you there has been.

“You might not see it out on the park or in the figures or how many points they’ve picked up. It doesn’t matter. There’s been changes, it’s better than it was and that’s all there is to it.”

But Nicholl – who now splits his time between Paisley and Belfast, where he continues to assist Northern Ireland boss Michael O’Neill – admits he is concerned to see Steven Davis stall on his return to Ibrox.

The midfielder was expected to play a major role after returning to the club on loan from Southampton in January.

But he has largely been confined to a role on the bench – a situation that has left Nicholl puzzled.

Asked if he felt the 34-year-old still has a part to play for Gerrard’s side, he replied: “Of course – it was a mystery to me why Steven wasn’t playing.

“He would go away with Northern Ireland and be outstanding for two games, yet he’d barely have kicked a ball for Rangers.

“His fitness levels, his knowledge of the game, his enthusiasm has never been in doubt.
Everyone thinks he’s this mild-mannered nice fella. But he’s not – he’s driven by determination.

“You’re not captain of Southampton in the Premier League if you’re mild-mannered and don’t care about playing.

“There’s a steely determination about him and believe me he’ll be disappointed he hasn’t contributed more.

“I’d like to see him contribute more for the benefit of Northern Ireland basically.”

Not sure where the article is from, but we played 2 games in Europe last season and 14 this season. That's twelve of a difference at the school I went to

And we have definitely improved. That is not up for debate

Last edited:
"Rangers – who have had to contend with the extra burden of 10 Europa League games this term – have 66 points after 33 games last term, just four more at the same stage last season."

Scottish journalism at it's best - We played 14 Europa League games this season, not 10 (or, if anyone wants to be pedantic, 6 Europa League games and 8 Qualifiers).

He's correct ,we are far removed from what we ended up as last season .

Way to go but much better foundations to build on for next season .

Let’s not be silly enough to not recognise the noise from the media and some of our supposed fans. Plenty have suggested, even eejits on this forum that we’ve not moved forward. Phuck, my flabber is often very ghasted with this stuff. We’ve had a few bad games and we’ve had a few games where we have played teams off the park but can’t convert. We are night versus day compared to last year. We went out to a team from phucking Luxembourg in the Europa Cup last season. I sometimes worry about our own more than I worry about the media. Last year we were the poets bitches, this year, they don’t know how to deal with us. That is a fact. Of course there have been blips, our manager is literally learning on the job, but phuck me, he’s learning well and he now has the measure of the cesspit that is the SPFL. Right now, he is phucking gold dust for us.

It's fear , we are coming hard at them ,and a good couple of signings and a good pre season and we will be kicking the door down of there wee poet love in . Fear that they failed trying to kill us and next season we will be back where we belong .
So be afraid of us be very afraid

Off topic but I was at a sportsman dinner a few weeks ago where Jimmy was a speaker and he was different class.

“The likes of pundit Chris Sutton have questioned whether the Light Blues are really any better off under the former Liverpool skipper than they were with Murty at the helm.”

Sutton epitomises the dearth of quality in Scottish sports journalism, a car crash pundit who only comments to create a reaction.

We have improved and will keep improving under Gerrard these are the facts some don’t want to admit.

Let’s not be silly enough to not recognise the noise from the media and some of our supposed fans. Plenty have suggested, even eejits on this forum that we’ve not moved forward. Phuck, my flabber is often very ghasted with this stuff. We’ve had a few bad games and we’ve had a few games where we have played teams off the park but can’t convert. We are night versus day compared to last year. We went out to a team from phucking Luxembourg in the Europa Cup last season. I sometimes worry about our own more than I worry about the media. Last year we were the poets bitches, this year, they don’t know how to deal with us. That is a fact. Of course there have been blips, our manager is literally learning on the job, but phuck me, he’s learning well and he now has the measure of the cesspit that is the SPFL. Right now, he is phucking gold dust for us.

Absolutely !

Thank phuck for some sensible positive posts on here well said mate,we just have so many fickle supporters!

We've gone from worrying that they might better their 7-1 result in every game to being upset that we haven't beaten Celtic more often. Anyone who thinks that there isn't evident progress there before taking our European run into consideration isn't worth listening to.
Nailed it mate.

sutton is a fud and talks utter shite so not even worth mentioning.
back to the ops post, of course we've made progress.
wasn't that long ago they manky fucks we're putting 5 past us, they beat us by one goal in both paedo dome games, one was after a foul,and other we could've won it after having played most of the game with 10 men.
the main worry has been consistency, dropping horrendous 'points to teams we 'shouldn't be. fix that and the league's ours.

We have moved forward even a blind man can see that, time is what is needed, a thing in short supply at Ibrox, and until we learn we will never succeed in any comp. we play in.
Those who think we haven’t progressed fall into the following categories, and they are all on here:

- morons
- poets
- SMSM

Simple as that

The mhedia were shitting themselves after we humped the Peasants at Ibrox. The deliberate and endless hounding of Beaton in the tabloids after that game sent the message out to other refs and officials. Nothing will convince me otherwise. The current points deficit in the League is what it is, but we are not as far away as some would think.

Of course we've progressed.

it's in the past now but far more worrying is the state of the football department a full 6 months after Pedro left and 15 months after Warburton's departure.

I am a huge supporter of our board but was the squad that recieved 2 tankings off the yahoos any better than what the board inherited in 2015?

Despite a huge spend.

It should never have been allowed to deteriorate so quickly.

SG should get next season (and probably beyond), I think he needs to deliver the league (or at least run them really close) as opposed to a trophy.

It's certainly not the fans fault that our 3 seasons back in the top flight have been so barren.

SG has the burden of the two seasons that went before he arrived. Thta's a little unfair.

Only total retards can’t see how much we’ve progressed, thats why Sutton is adamant.

Sutton is desperate for the support to turn on Gerrard which is why he's turned the focus of his criticism from Morelos to the manager.

His hatchet job on Alfie is done. Stevie G is his next target.

“The likes of pundit Chris Sutton have questioned whether the Light Blues are really any better off under the former Liverpool skipper than they were with Murty at the helm.”

Sutton epitomises the dearth of quality in Scottish sports journalism, a car crash pundit who only comments to create a reaction.

We have improved and will keep improving under Gerrard these are the facts some don’t want to admit.
Add Hartson and Stewart to that.

Three years ago, at the point of promotion, we had a squad full of very average players; by average that was players who could be no better than any other SPL opponent, and those teams we played knew it. We then ended up with one or two better than their squad, and over the past three seasons that number had been increasing. Next season will be the first season, since we were promoted, where we will be building on a very solid foundation; this season's squad was close, but we haven't players who know how to win, especially when playing badly; we have some, but not as many as we would like. Next season has the potential to be far better.

We have moved forward even a blind man can see that, time is what is needed, a thing in short supply at Ibrox, and until we learn we will never succeed in any comp. we play in.

Agreed.

It’s a strange one. I doubt any of us could handle being 5th or 6th for a couple of seasons whilst we developed a team of kids capable of winning a CL. I’m thinking like Ajax here.

Our need to finish above the paedos or be considered failures holds us back in player development and football style development.

Anyway, a blind man could see we are much stronger this season than the last two. As another said, they aren’t critics, they are haters

I'm sure Gerrard will take Sutton's criticism onboard.
After all, Sutton was a terrific manager with an exemplary record at Lincoln City.
Gerrard comes across as someone not scared of criticism, he is obviously self critical to the extent that he knows who is his at his level on those kind of things who isn't, who is worth listening to and who isn't. Any mistakes he has made, and any shortcomings in this squad are, I'd imagine, fully recognised and acknowledged by the manager himself. He will have learned a lot this season I suspect.

Every single Rangers fan who i've spoken to feels we've made progress.

You just need to look at the credentials of the people who are suggesting otherwise - journo's, shock jock "pundits", fans of other teams...

It's a non-event, but the haters have made it one.

SG is doing well and I can't wait to see what he does this summer.

When something good is happening, the haters will attack as a defence mechanism, they convince themselves it's not happening, inside, they pray it won't happen. People like the the bigoted bankrupt are such persons. Bastards will need to pray a lot harder because it's happening

The transfer window will determine how well we do next year, we add a bit more quality, instill a win at all cost mentality, Also our manager will ne more experienced, he will have learned alot from this season,, onwards and upwards

I think a certain amount of constructive criticism is healthy for any manager or football club it's part of the learning process. From that standpoint I will say domestically it's been a poor season and massive improvements have to be made both in the quality of signings and tactics over the summer months.

Hearts and Aberdeen have both gotten to finals with wage bills £20 plus million less than us. While we have progressed I don't think any bear will argue that but not to the point where we are even close to winning anything and that's the harsh reality.

Next season might be one of the biggest in our history and we can't afford so many mistakes in the transfer market, everyone from the manager to the scouts and players needs to vastly improve cause we can't be sitting here in a years time trophyless watching the yahoos go for another treble convincing ourselves that next season might be better.

Huge summer ahead.

Sutton is desperate for the support to turn on Gerrard which is why he's turned the focus of his criticism from Morelos to the manager.

His hatchet job on Alfie is done. Stevie G is his next target.
You are giving Sutton too much credit.

He is merely spouting the bile he picked up from his time at The Chamber of Secrets. It's not some systematic plan he has in place.

This season was always going to be one of trial and error for the manager.
Next season after another transfer window I would hope we are close to the team he wants on the pitch and taking those c*nts all the way.
Unless that mob spend big we are not that far away at the moment.

JIMMY NICHOLL has rubbished suggestions Rangers have not progressed under Steven Gerrard – insisting those criticising the Ibrox boss have no idea how bad a state the club was in 12 months ago.

Nicholl was placed in caretaker charge for the final three games of last season after interim manager Graeme Murty was sacked on the back of two devastating defeats to Celtic.

The likes of pundit Chris Sutton have questioned whether the Light Blues are really any better off under the former Liverpool skipper than they were with Murty at the helm.

Rangers – who have had to contend with the extra burden of 10 Europa League games this term – have 66 points after 33 games last term, just four more at the same stage last season.

And they are only two points closer to their Old Firm rivals than a year ago with the Hoops currently on course for an eighth straight title having built up an 11-point advantage this time round.

But Nicholl insists anyone looking behind the scenes will be left in no doubt about how big the strides forward have been.

The Northern Irishman – now assisting Oran Kearney at St Mirren – said: “Yes there has been progress this year, but everybody just wants progress quicker.

“Hopefully whatever happens in the summer means it will be a lot different next year.

“If you only look at the facts and figures you might say there’s not been much progress – but yes there has. Just look at how the place was.

“People don’t know what it was like inside, so they turn round and say there’s been no progress. But I’m telling you there has been.

“You might not see it out on the park or in the figures or how many points they’ve picked up. It doesn’t matter. There’s been changes, it’s better than it was and that’s all there is to it.”

But Nicholl – who now splits his time between Paisley and Belfast, where he continues to assist Northern Ireland boss Michael O’Neill – admits he is concerned to see Steven Davis stall on his return to Ibrox.

The midfielder was expected to play a major role after returning to the club on loan from Southampton in January.

But he has largely been confined to a role on the bench – a situation that has left Nicholl puzzled.

Asked if he felt the 34-year-old still has a part to play for Gerrard’s side, he replied: “Of course – it was a mystery to me why Steven wasn’t playing.

“He would go away with Northern Ireland and be outstanding for two games, yet he’d barely have kicked a ball for Rangers.

“His fitness levels, his knowledge of the game, his enthusiasm has never been in doubt.
Everyone thinks he’s this mild-mannered nice fella. But he’s not – he’s driven by determination.

“You’re not captain of Southampton in the Premier League if you’re mild-mannered and don’t care about playing.

“There’s a steely determination about him and believe me he’ll be disappointed he hasn’t contributed more.

“I’d like to see him contribute more for the benefit of Northern Ireland basically.”

Good to hear first hand from someone who knows the situation better than anyone else.

Back