Joachim Bjorklund

CraigGer

Was one of my favourite players ever. Reason for me posting thread is I never read anything about him leaving when he did. Reasons etc. It was a massive shock. If his time with us had been longer be would have been a Rangers Legend for all the fans. Not just me.

All Rangers legends have been able to pass a ball B-DJocky had terrific pace, could tackle and win a ball but his distribution was up there with Niko Katic
Bjorklund was good enough to play for Valencia in La Liga and reach a Champions League final with them, he also played for his country in world cups and the euros.

He was several levels above Katic.

Bjorklund was good enough to play for Valencia in La Liga and reach a Champions League final with them, he also played for his country in world cups and the euros.

He was several levels above Katic.
2 Champions League Finals, 3rd with Sweden at the at the 94 World Cup indeed, never once said he was a bad player nor his level was Katic but the fact remains his distribution let his overall game down...

All Rangers legends have been able to pass a ball B-DJocky had terrific pace, could tackle and win a ball but his distribution was up there with Niko Katic
Wasn’t even as good as that.
He wouldn’t last today.
Despite being an exceptional defender, also the quickest I’ve seen, his numbers and now yardage, wouldn’t be high enough!

Last edited:
Great pace, fit and good in the tackle was a cracking man marker and was a decent reader of the game.

Rarely ventured over the half way line and played the simple pass.

I thought he was poor, who needs pace when you stay in your own half.
Was no butcher or gough in the air.
All in all , i didnt rate him.
Theres a lot in front of him since 1986 and Souness coming.

Was one of my favourite players ever. Reason for me posting thread is I never read anything about him leaving when he did. Reasons etc. It was a massive shock. If his time with us had been longer be would have been a Rangers Legend for all the fans. Not just me.
I met his girlfriend and her mum and brother when in Gothenburg and had 3 drunken days with them , she was a screwball

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I always thought he was pish for us.
No need for a memory check, you're right. One of the worst technical footballers we've ever had. Obviously very quick and disciplined but when he actually got on the ball he gave the absolute fear.

It's nice that not everyone's favourites are Laudrup, McCoist etc but I am slightly perplexed this is the OP's hero! :) Maybe there's someone out there who's favourite Ranger is Neil Murray or Stalle Stensaas.

I didn’t rate him, yes he was rapid but for me that was about it. Also, did he not go his entire professional career without scoring a goal? Even for a defender that’s unbelievable.

I remember one game when I sat in the East Enclosure it seemed like the whole stand sarcastically applauded when he eventually ventured over the half way line in a game. I was surprised how well he did when he left us but fair play to him, he clearly had some good qualities

Looked like a skinny Bjork.

He was fast. That's about it.

Alan McLaren Loyal.
He was a very good defender.
However, for me, injury robbed McLaren of an opportunity to become a great.
I said, when he signed, he could be a more important signing than Laudrup was that season.
I expected him to replace Gough as captain in the fullness of time.
In saying all that, in a McLaren thread not too long ago, there were plenty who didn’t hold my view.

No need for a memory check, you're right. One of the worst technical footballers we've ever had. Obviously very quick and disciplined but when he actually got on the ball he gave the absolute fear.

It's nice that not everyone's favourites are Laudrup, McCoist etc but I am slightly perplexed this is the OP's hero! :) Maybe there's someone out there who's favourite Ranger is Neil Murray or Stalle Stensaas.
I talked at length to him, So that made me like him more, I admit it !. Ally is my no 1.

Bjorklund played a total of 361 games over the course of his career, he scored 1 goal (for Valencia), here it is at 2:10
The way he put it away makes you wonder how he never managed more goals like that.

Can we sign him for tomorrow please !! B-D

Surely you jest Sire?

Very quick and eh very quick , terrible distribution, terrible in air but very quick

Always reminds me of the blue and red stripes top with the collar. Really rated him as a player. Didnt he score the winner in a very important OF?

I still remember Bob Malcolm's stay at the halfway line and ping it (that inspired the cartoon) and him being part of a midfield three that kept us within touching distance under McLeish quite fondly. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of Rangers fans don't.

So...he was rapid, but had no pace.
Was akin to Stensaas, but also Gough.
Decent in the tackle but miles off it when challenging for the ball.
Decent in the air but no Amoruso.

Only thing everyone has agreed on is he was pish at passing the ball.

For what its worth (not much), l liked the guy.

He was hopeless on the ball.

He was also pretty poor at defending cross balls.

But he was rapid.

He was a very good defender.
However, for me, injury robbed McLaren of an opportunity to become a great.
I said, when he signed, he could be a more important signing than Laudrup was that season.
I expected him to replace Gough as captain in the fullness of time.
In saying all that, in a McLaren thread not too long ago, there were plenty who didn’t hold my view.
McLaren was robbed of legendary status by injury.

He could have been one of the very best. Hard as nails and great reader of the game.

Back