Jock Tiger Shaw..Rangers News..17th November 1971

Saltcoatsblu

b509px.jpg

Said before on another thread.
We were on the same plane as him going to Barcelona,still looked a hardy bit of stuff :) but a proper gent

Fantastic article - thanks very much for posting saltcoatsblu. As for the record 16 years - I always thought that John Greig surpassed it? Maybe not - I'm off to try and find out :D:D

I met the great man in his house in Glenboig, through a workmate in Ravenscraig.

I found him very shy, he would reluctantly tell you of his success. Reminded me of an old gruff miner type man. I got photos taken with him, with me wearing one of his Scotland caps etc.

His was the first house I ever seen with burglar alarms fitted (this was 1981) because I think it was a bit of a Tim area.

Fantastic article - thanks very much for posting saltcoatsblu. As for the record 16 years - I always thought that John Greig surpassed it? Maybe not - I'm off to try and find out :D:D
I would think that John Greig was club captain from 1965-1966 season until his last game in 1977-1978. He may have been captain for some games in 1964-1965 after Eric Caldow was playing fewer games or had left the club and Jim Baxter suffered a broken leg against Rapid Vienna.

I would think that John Greig was club captain from 1965-1966 season until his last game in 1977-1978. He may have been captain for some games in 1964-1965 after Eric Caldow was playing fewer games or had left the club and Jim Baxter suffered a broken leg against Rapid Vienna.

So 12 maybe 13 years? I think maybe we're getting a bit mixed up by the length of (playing) service which I know John Greig surpassed by around a year I think?

Greig was captain from 65 - 78.

I thought Tiger came to the club from Airdrie in 38, I didn't think he'd been made captain immediately.

I believe he once tried to get off a stretcher to continue playing in a game...with a broken ankle.

I remember this every time I see a player holding his wee leggy in agony after getting a kick on the shin.

I believe he once tried to get off a stretcher to continue playing in a game...with a broken ankle.

I remember this every time I see a player holding his wee leggy in agony after getting a kick on the shin.

My old man would just have been 15 at the time but he told me in the 52 ne'erday game he was taken off on a stretcher and was taken by the jungle. The filth were giving him pelters and the bold 'tiger' was holding his Rangers jersey to his mouth and kissing it.

Remember it was the old collar back then and no badge. 4-1 the teddies.

What a true Ranger,born in a tiny village just behind Cumbernauld and just before Airdrie,I drive through it regularly,one tiny grass park, and I always wonder what house the great man was born in,if it is still standing.

What a true Ranger,born in a tiny village just behind Cumbernauld and just before Airdrie,I drive through it regularly,one tiny grass park, and I always wonder what house the great man was born in,if it is still standing.

It's not. The houses across the road from the football park you mention, were more or less where the "miners' raws" that he was born and grew up in.

The house he lived in for most of his life, in glenboig, still is tho.

Wonder what the user name could be:). Your avatar is one of my favourite photographs of Tiger Shaw. I am a dinosaur at posting photos on here but the other favourite is of him holding the Scottish Cup and has a big smile on his face.

Is that the one where he has nae teeth? If so my gran always HATED that picture.
:D:D:D:D Used to give him into a row for it every time it appeared somewhere. "You might have pit yer bliddy teeth in" the other one he used to get a row for was one of him leaning on the goal post with his working gear on and the jumper had holes in it when he was on the ground staff, talking to former team mate and current manager Willie Waddell, who was suited and booted! "Look how smart Willie is - an you're like a bliddy scruff!" :D:D:D

There - that's now just brought a big smile to MY face, remembering the guy you all know as a fearless skipper taking a row from the boss for not having his teeth in in a pic and having a hole in his jumper!

Is that the one where he has nae teeth? If so my gran always HATED that picture.
:D:D:D:D Used to give him into a row for it every time it appeared somewhere. "You might have pit yer bliddy teeth in" the other one he used to get a row for was one of him leaning on the goal post with his working gear on and the jumper had holes in it when he was on the ground staff, talking to former team mate and current manager Willie Waddell, who was suited and booted! "Look how smart Willie is - an you're like a bliddy scruff!" :D:D:D

There - that's now just brought a big smile to MY face, remembering the guy you all know as a fearless skipper taking a row from the boss for not having his teeth in in a pic and having a hole in his jumper!
Love the thought that one of the hardest men in Scottish football history and a genuine Rangers legend gets a sherriking from his wife for not having his teeth in.

That sounds like the photo. These threads are great as in addition to reading about a Rangers great, it also brings back memories to me being told as a boy what a great team your grandad played in.

My Dad’s all time favourite of that era was the Deedle but Tiger Shaw was thought of very highly by him.

Thought I would give this thread a wee boost up today of all days - given that it was his birthday today. A nice wee win tonight would be a great present for him (and his daughter who shares his birthday!!!)

:D:D

I seem to remember him helping out in the wee Rangers club in the late 70s early 80s while it was still The Rangers Supporters Association Club.

My first job when leaving school in 1974 was as a groundsman at Ibrox and I was privileged enough to work alongside Mr Shaw. He really was a wonderful man who gave his time to look after me and show me the ropes, he was very kind and never once complained when I would ask questions about his time as a player. He used to tell some really funny stories and you could tell how much the Rangers meant to him. It was obvious the high regard in which he was held by the players. I remember him talking to John Grieg one day about a hamstring injury, he had a poultice put on by some guy the team had brought in and he said for the first few moments of the game he was in a lot of pain then he felt the heat coming from the poultice, then more heat and more until he was running around like a greyhound with his leg burning. He had a lot of stories like that of how things were done in the "old days".
I consider myself extremely privileged to have spent the time I did in this great mans company. As a sixteen year old meeting someone of his stature helped make me the bear I am today. My dad told me to listen to Mr Shaw and learn what it means to be a Ranger and at that time men like him and Mr Wallace classed all who worked for Rangers no matter there job a Ranger.

Nice to hear Broxmeister. Rangers truly was his life. He went every week there was a match at Ibrox, for as long as he could. It was a privilege to go with him and hear everyone talking to him. I can mind when I was a wean thinking "my God he knows a lot of people - must be because he's dead old" :D:D

As hard as any man is or thinks he is, we all know who the real bosses are :D
Wish I'd seen him play, a gentleman and proper Rangers man

Back