Jock Wallace - an Extraordinary Life

Interesting aside, looking at the photo of the Newcastle v Bedford game in 1964 the Newcastle player going up for the ball is Willie Penman, formerly of Rangers.

Willie, a Fifer, went on the 1962 tour of Russia but never made a breakthrough in the first team. Ended up at Swindon where he won a League Cup winners medal at Wembley defating Arsenal in the final.

Anorak Loyal.
That's a great call. Here's that pic again, and another clearly taken a fraction of a second later.

Penman-and-Jock-2.jpg

I would like to pay tribute to a great Rangers legend and I don’t use these words lightly. Big Jock was a colossal in every way and I was so disappointed in the way the club treated him in his later years after he had retired from coaching. Jock exemplified the standards that every Rangers player should aspire to on the park and I’m for one glad to have witnessed the great man at close range.

There are three more installments before we finish the story. We've reached 1978:

When Jock arrived at Leicester he surrounded himself with reminders of home. He installed a foot high statue of William Wallace in his office. He signed a number of Scottish players for the team. And on a plot of waste ground near the city he had a man-made version of Gullane sand dunes constructed. This is a great clip from a local news programme shortly after he arrived:

He echoed the thoughts of predecessor Frank McLintock about the players' lack of passion, "I am sure there is a lot of spirit and character lying dormant within them and it is up to me to bring it to the surface", he said.

One of the first to understand what Jock meant by this was 17 year old Gary Lineker.

Early in Jock's reign he recalls coming in at half time in a reserve game having scored twice when:

He walked in and slammed the door behind him and started going, ‘You, ya wee English s***e, ye,’ and he’s looking straight at me. He walked up to me - I was tiny in those days - and he picked me up by the scruff of the neck and pinned me against the dressing-room wall. I was trembling.

“At the end of the game he walked in again and said to me, ‘My office, 9.30 in the morning.’ I never slept a wink - I thought my football career was over.

“I made sure I was early. At 9.15 I was sat outside his office like a naughty boy outside the headmaster’s office and eventually he summoned me in. “I sat down and he said, ‘Wee man, you were magnificent last night. I just want to keep your feet on the ground!’

Jock's youth policy was taken to a new level at Leicester. "I have never been interested in older players", he told the local paper, "I much prefer the 22 or 23-year-olds who are still optimistic and haven't developed that cynicism about the game".

In that first season, Leicester actually finished in their lowest position for 30 years - 17th in Division Two. But somehow everyone at the club felt good. The place had been rejuvenated, and Jock was establishing a bond with the fans that no previous manager had enjoyed.

For the last game of 1978/79 he fielded a team with seven teenagers - the youngest line up in the history of the club. This was how he reflected on that first season:

During this transition period the enthusiasm and ambition that I have has been echoed throughout the club - by players, the staff and the board - and I know that the fans are behind us. They can see the youngsters getting their chance. Every one of them has gone into every game - which ever City team he is playing in - by giving 100%.

In the summer, Jock made a key signing. Alan Young, from Kirkcaldy, had scored a hattrick against Leicester for Oldham in a Cup tie in February after Martin Henderson had put City ahead. Henderson had been best man at Young's wedding, and after the game Jock told him to phone Young and tell him he was interested in signing him.

The fact that the Oldham shirt looked like it had been woven from the same cloth as the classic mid-70s Rangers jersey can't have done Young's chances any harm:

Young-Oldham.jpg

Young was an instant hit at Filbert Street, and by December, he'd helped Leicester to the top of the League. He was also called up to the Scotland squad.

But his international story was uncannily similar to Jock's twenty years earlier. As soon as he was chosen, his form seemed to desert him. He went sixteen games without a goal and he, too, was destined never to win a cap.

In the middle of that run, Leicester suffered a Cup defeat almost as big as the Berwick-Rangers shock in 1967. This time Jock was on the receiving end. Non-league Harlow Town got a draw at Filbert Street, then won the replay 1-0. Gary Lineker developed tonsilitis before that replay but was too scared to tell Jock. He took the field feeling, and playing, 'dreadful', as he recalled.

The promotion race went to the last weekend. Jock didn't want to just go up, he wanted to win the Division. 'I want to beat every bastard', he said.

A 1-0 win at Orient meant they were champions. Leicester fans finally had something to celebrate.

Orient-quote.jpg

Fantastic read.
I have told this story many times, after his second treble, on the Sunday after the game he allowed Derek Johnstone and one of the wee Gers club committee to carry the trophies down Edmiston Drive to the club to let the fans see them up close & get a sip of champagne out of them By the way they just walked down the drive.

:oops: :oops::oops:

@kushiro:

Fantastic work.

As an aside, despite moving to England in 1981 I have nevr supported an English team (except Melchester Rovers).

As a kid I had two strips from English teams, one being the 79/80 Leicester City kit purchased in a sport shop in Kilmarnock on account of Jock being your manager despite being too young to have seen his Rangers tram.

His standing outside Rangers really isn’t what it should be.

So Jock was collecting silverware again. This was the Division Two trophy:

trophy.jpg

And here he is collecting a special Manager of the Year award from Bob Paisley:

Paisley-and-Wallace-1980-Jock-won-a-special-award.jpg

That was Leicester's sixth Division Two title in less than 50 years - classic yo-yo club behaviour. How long could they stay up this time? That wasn't actually the target Jock set. "We're going to win the League', he said.

People scoffed. But they raised an eyebrow when Leicester beat Paisley's Liverpool. the reigning champions, in August.

There was a unique atmosphere at Filbert Street at the time (when your author first started going to matches regularly). Mark Wallington talked about the new mood on the terraces: Standing in the goal in front of the Kop I could hardly believe the depth of feeling and support. It's so different from a few years ago and the players thrive on it.

The man responsible for this change was Jock Wallace. Leicester Mercury reporter Bill Anderson summed it up: "To the fans, Wallace IS Leicester City".

Jock said in return how much he appreciated the support from the Kop. Three chants define that era. There was the classic 'When You're Smiling' with the hand waving, there was the Alan Young chant, with the left to right arm waving ('He's here, he's there, he's every f***ing where), and of course Jock's own chant. This was simply his name chanted to a 'three blind mice' melody. The word 'Jock' coming from thousands of throats almost but not quite simultaneously produced an amazing heavy industrial pummeling sound. It seemed appropriate somehow.

He signed another Scottish partner for Alan Young up front - JIm Melrose from Partick Thistle (Lineker had not yet developed into the world class striker we would know later):

Melrose-2.jpg

Melrose would score some famous winning goals that season, none more memorable than the one at Anfield that sealed a double over Liverpool, and broke their unbeaten home run of 85 games (a record that still stands). Here are the goals that day:

Byrne-Melrose.jpg

That's Irishman Pat Byrne beating Ray Clemence in the larger picture.

That result, in January 1981, was even more surprising as Leicester were then bottom of the table. Jock's young team were admired for their honest endeavour, but too often they looked out of their depth.

The following month, to try and stave off relegation, Jock announced the sensational signing of Johan Cruyff:

Cruyff-mirror.jpg

But the next day it all collapsed. Spanish club Levante had an option to buy him that they exercised at the last minute, and the great Dutchman was not to be seen in Leicester.

In the end, they lost the battle and headed straight back to Division Two. This was Jock's reaction:

I made a fool of myself when I predicted we would win the Championship and I have taken a bit of stick about it ever since. But if I did not feel and believe that at the start of the season I have no right to be here.

Great reading, thanks for posting.
For those with an interest, try to obtain a copy of " football is the Wallace religion"
Not the usual biography/autobiography, read it years ago, quite tabloidy, but enjoyable never the less.
It would be unfair,as the media up here do, to label Mr Wallace a fitness above all manager, in the later half of the sixties rather than a fortnight in Benidorm he would visit/scout clubs on the continent to expand his knowledge of tactics and professionalism.
As for leaving Rangers in 1978, in the book about our managers by club historian David Mason, he states years later Mr Wallace told him it was simply because the new contract the club offered him was derisory for a top class manager who had won two trebles and had a hand in European success.
"We've got the battle fever on"

One match is remembered above all in Jock's four years at Leicester - the FA Cup quarter final against Shrewsbury in March 1982.

Jock's own career as a keeper had a direct impact on the way the game unfolded. He had been known for the fearless way he would leave his line and dominate the area. But when he arrived at Filbert Street he noticed that Leicester keeper Mark Wallington had a different style. "If he had been taught to take crosses under pressure', Jock said, 'he would have been right up there alongside other world class keepers instead of being simply a very good club keeper.

It was in that Shrewsbury tie that Wallington showed he'd been listening to Jock's advice. After Leicester took the lead, he came bravely off his line to stop a Shrewsbury equaliser, and picked up a serious injury in the process.

When Jock was a keeper he wasn't the type to let an injury force him off the pitch, and he encouraged Wallington to carry on. You can see Jock here lifting him up off the floor.
Wallington-Shrewsbury.jpg

Wallington struggled on, but his mobility was almost zero. Shrewsbury took advantage and scored two quick goals. Jock finally accepted his error and Alan Young took over, with Wallington coming off. Young himself was then injured and a third keeper Steve Lynex, took over the gloves.

Amid this upheaval Leicester roared back and won 5-2.

Barry Davies doesn't hold back on his criticism of Jock in his match commentary.

But Jock also deserves credit for having created the team spirit which drove that heroic fightback, and for helping forge the bond between players and fans so evident on that day. Here he is celebrating the victory:

Shrewsbury-celebration.jpg

In the semi-final Leicester lost to Spurs in a game remembered mainly for the booing of Ossie Ardiles the day after Argentina had invaded the Falklands.

That summer, Jock left for Motherwell. Here he is again at the sand dunes:
Jock-and-Gary-Mc-Allister-Motherwell.jpg

That's a very young Gary McAllister looking incredibly apprehensive.

Jock's first League game just happened to be against Rangers, and he didn't endear himself to the 'Well fans with his warm response to the Rangers fans' acclaim.

He spent a fairly uneventful year and a bit at Fir Park before going home to Ibrox, where he quickly won a trophy, beating Celtic in the League Cup Final.

It's a match remembered for two classic Jock moments. This before the game:

And this after:

Jock's departure in 1986 opened the way for Graeme Souness, and he then spent an undistinguished year at Sevilla.

Which brings us to Jock's final act of managerial heroism.

He joined Colchester United when they were rooted to the bottom of Division Four of the Football League and seemed destined to drop into the Conference.

There followed an amazing run of results which is worth recording in full as a fitting way to conclude this long tale:

April 15th: Lincoln City 1 Colchester 1 - an 83rd minute equaliser salvages a point, but they're still at the bottom, two points behind Darlington

April 21st: Colchester 1 Carlisle 1 - a last minute equaliser gives them a point, and they're just one behind Darlington.

April 25th: Colchester 2 Wrexham 1 - a winner two minutes from time gives them three points (but Darlington won too).

April 29th: Darlington 1 Colchester 2 - the big one - after the home side had gone ahead, Jock's men fight back to move off the bottom.

May 1st: Colchester 3 Halifax 2 - after Halifax had been two up, they fight back for another unlikely but vital three points.

So in five games in a row they had shown that resilience and spirit that Jock valued above all else. They'd hauled themselves to a position of (almost) safety. After that they finished off with convincing wins over Exeter and Torquay to confirm their survival.

Sadly, Jock's health deteriorated the following season and though still only 54, he retired from the Colchester job, and from football for good. He would die six years later.

Last edited:
Can still remember Leicester halting Liverpools home run as it cost me my ten homes on the Littlwoods pools the bassas :))
Grew up with an ex celtic boys club player whom Jock would have running up and down the terracing of Filbert st but whether that was due to who he supported or being unfit i couldn't possibly comment but apart from that he was very complimentary about Jock and his ability to get much more out of his players

There were a few more pictures unearthed while researching the piece that I didn't include in the story. Here they are:

First, three great pics from Jeff Holmes' book Blue Thunder:

Jock Senior and Junior in 1935:

Jock-and-Jock.jpg

Jock Junior heading for National Service in Malaya:

KOSB-in-Malaya.jpg

Jock and Daphne, 1960:

Apr14th-1960.jpg

Two shots of Jock Senior playing against Aberdeen - at the start of his career for Raith, and 15 years later for Leith Athletic:

Aberdeen-PJ-Jan-22-1934.jpg

Alex-Kiddie-Aberdeen-reserves-beats-Jock-Aug-13th-1949.jpg

1969 Report on Jock Jr giving up playing to concentrate on managership:

Aberdeen-EE-Jan-28th-1969.jpg

Can still remember Leicester halting Liverpools home run as it cost me my ten homes on the Littlwoods pools the bassas :))
Grew up with an ex celtic boys club player whom Jock would have running up and down the terracing of Filbert st but whether that was due to who he supported or being unfit i couldn't possibly comment but apart from that he was very complimentary about Jock and his ability to get much more out of his players

when he passed, a couple of ex-Celtic men wrote to the Herald to say that, despite being the epitome of a Ranger, he was always respectful and his love of the game shone through. He didn't hate anyone, he just loved The Rangers.

That disgusting slug, Spiers, tried to character assasinate Jock years later and the RST used the reactions of the Celtic minded to ram his lies back down his throat.

And here's a few more:

Jock Senior about to pick the ball out of the net in Blackpool's defeat at Luton in the Cup in 1937 (from the magnificent Hatters heritage site):

Luton-Heritage-Jock-Wallace-first-game-back-since-injury-3-3-at-Luton-Jan-1937.jpg

Jock Junior in action for West Brom at Fulham in 1960:

Fulham-2-WBA-1-apr-23-60.jpg

Jock in West Brom strip:

pic-at-Albion.jpg

Here's Part Four:

Berwick were drawn against HIbernian away in the next round, and they nearly caused another upset. They had a goal controversially disallowed and Jock saved a penalty, but in the end they lost 1-0 (if anyone can find a photo of that penalty save I'd love to see it).

What were Rangers doing that day? Having been knocked out, they had a free weekend, and they decided to head south for a match against - Leicester City. By the time the two clubs played each other again in 1984, Jock was a hero to both sets of supporters.

Berwick's next big Cup game, in 1969, was memorable for a different reason - at the time, Jock was doing four jobs at once. He was manager and goalkeeper of Berwick, and had just been appointed by Hearts to the position of 'Assistant manager and coach'. Jock insisted on working for both clubs until Berwick were knocked out of the Cup.

In the run up to the Scottish Cup ties on January 6th, Jock was preparing the Berwick players for their game at Aberdeen, and the Hearts players for their trip to Dundee. Had the two clubs been drawn to play each other the situation would have been even more surreal.

Berwick lost 3-0, but Hearts won 2-1 at Dundee, and they could now claim sole ownership of the Big Man.

That game at Pittodrie brought the curtain down on Jock's career as a professional footballer. Here he is in action that day:

Aberdeen-EE-Jan-6th-1969.jpg

So just like his father, his last game was a defeat in in a Scottish Cup tie. Jock Senior had been 38 and knew his time was up, Jock Junior was now 33, and told the press he was still the best keeper in Scotland.

But it was time to hang up his gloves, and to devote his energy to inspiring others.

Hearts had big plans for Jock Wallace. Second in command at first, they saw him as the long-term successor to boss John Harvey.

Part of Jock's plan at Tynecastle was to blood the youngsters - it was here that he first realised the benefits of giving youth a chance. Here he is with Harvey and some of those young players:

Hearts-1970.jpg

Two of them, Eddie Thomson and Davie Clunie, were chosen for a Scotland v England Under-23 match at Sunderland in March 1970. Jock wasn't to know it as he traveled down with the two players to Roker Park, but a snow storm that caused the game to be abandoned in the second half would have big long-term consequences.

When the game was called off, he walked back to his hotel in the snow with Rangers assistant boss Willie Thornton. Jock spoke about his ideas - and Thornton was impressed. He went away with an idea of his own.

So now we come to his years at Rangers. Most of you reading this will have a better perspective on that time than I do, but I'll just reproduce it here as it was on the Leicester site and hope that I haven't committed too many contextual blunders. Please tell me if I have.

Jock Wallace was appointed Assistant Manager of Rangers in April 1970, though in truth he was more than an 'assistant'. He would have as much influence over the team as boss Willie Waddell.

Rangers' task was clear. In the season just ending, Rangers finished second - behind Celtic. They'd lost in the Scottish Cup - at Celtic. And they'd been knocked out of the League Cup - by Celtic.

Their Old Firm rivals had now won five titles in a row. Rangers hadn't won anything since a League Cup triumph in 1966.

Six months later, they finally had a chance. It was the League Cup Final again - their opponents, of course, Celtic.

Wallace surprised Waddell by suggesting they play 16 year old Derek Johnstone at centre-forward. Waddell said 'He's only a kid', but Jock replied 'He's the only player we have that can beat Billy McNeill in the air'.

Jock got his way. Here's what happened:

Rangers won 1-0. From that moment on, Jock never had any doubts about giving youth a chance.

Just ten weeks after that Final, 66 fans lost their lives in the Ibrox disaster. It was a tragedy that Jock experienced directly:

Jan-2nd-1971.jpg

One long term consequence was Willie Waddell's desire to completely rebuild the ground, ripping up the old terraces and turning it into a stadium. When the plan was finally ready in 1978, it seems that the prioritizing of stadium redevelopment over team rebuilding was a major factor in Waddell falling out with Jock, who then quit to join Leicester City (though the full picture of why he quit may never be known).

The European Cup Winners Cup had a reputation as the easiest of the three UEFA trophies to win. But in 1971/72, Rangers' path to the final couldn't have been tougher. After getting past French Cup winners Rennes in Round One, they came up against Sporting Lisbon in a tie with an extraordinary conclusion.

Rangers won their home leg 3-2, and Sporting won the return by the same score. In extra time, both sides scored again, so it was 6-6 overall. The referee told the players that a penalty shoot out was required.

Rangers missed their first spot kick, and their second, and their third, and their fourth. Sporting scored three and that was it. Rangers trooped disconsolately back to the dressing room.

Then there was a knock on the door, and someone said there'd been a mistake. The penalty shoot out should never have taken place. Rangers should have been declared the winners after extra time on the away goals rule.

No-one knew what to believe, but UEFA confirmed the away goals ruling, and Rangers were in the quarter-finals.

Rangers then had to get past Torino of Italy before facing Bayern Munich in the semi-finals.

This was the Bayern of Gerd Muller, Franz Beckenbauer, Sepp Maier, Paul Breitner and Uli Hoeness - the spine of the great West German team that outclassed England at Wembley that same spring - what many believe to be the greatest ever German XI.

Rangers drew 1-1 in Munich and then at Ibrox Sandy Jardine scored a famous 25 yarder past Maier after just two minutes. Rangers won 2-0 and they were heading to Barcelona to meet Dynamo Moscow in the final.

Here's the key moments from the match. Great pitch invasion at the end:

And here's Jock with the trophy:

CWC-trophy-and-cigar.jpg
I think John Fairgreave a Scottish football journalist informed Waddell about the away goals rule .

Back