Jock Wallace

Saltcoatsblu

How much do we miss you Big Man.......

2nizeir.jpg

A great manager. A great man. A great Ranger.

Because he put great emphasis on fitness and character, he unfairly gets talked about as a man who preferred the physical side of football.
He nearly always played 2 wingers, he encouraged passing football and he brought players like Cooper, Russell and McKean to Ibrox.

I loved the man, and still do.

Because he put great emphasis on fitness and character, he unfairly gets talked about as a man who preferred the physical side of football.
He nearly always played 2 wingers, he encouraged passing football and he brought players like Cooper, Russell and McKean to Ibrox.

There should be a statue of the great man,

Way before my time, but I see my dad's heart nearly burst out his chest with pride every time he speaks about the man.

What I do know is he's the man who let my dad see his first Scottish Cup Final victory in the Centenary Final against them 73, ended the Stein dominance when he stopped their 10 in a row in 75 and then proceeded to win 2 Trebles in 3 seasons.

Seriously underrated I feel by a lot of younger bears.

Big DJ was some lump!
Jock looks like he is carrying a wean.

What a shame he isn't sitting in our stands these days, mind you I am glad he never had to live through the spivs, I wonder how Jock would have reacted during this period?

I remember watching Rangers against a middle east university team during pre season standing right behind Jock. He was giving big naisy and durrant dogs abuse about their lack of effort despite winning by around 11 goals, i dont know about them but i was shiting myself, couldn't half bellow .

Big DJ was some lump!
Jock looks like he is carrying a wean.

What a shame he isn't sitting in our stands these days, mind you I am glad he never had to live through the spivs, I wonder how Jock would have reacted during this period?
The spiv bastards would not have been swanning around Ibrox treating it with contempt if the big man was still here.

Jock Wallace really did epitomise what A True RANGER was all about.
To his Eternal Credit he never revealed why he left.
Legend,Hero etc are always bandied about all too quickly.
Mr Wallace. I Salute You.

If you're not fit you can't play.
Jock Wallace had and bought good footballers and made them fitter and better. That's what management's all about.

As a club we’ve been extraordinary privileged to have a number of great men as club manager over our history. Most clubs can only boast one, maybe two.

Bill Struth, Willie Waddell, Jock Wallace and Walter Smith presided over the the most important eras in Rangers’ history.

As a club we’ve been extraordinary privileged to have a number of great men as club manager over our history. Most clubs can only boast one, maybe two.

Bill Struth, Willie Waddell, Jock Wallace and Walter Smith presided over the the most important eras in Rangers’ history.

Don't underestimate our first manager, William Wilton.

One of the most important figures in our 145 years.

One of my neighbours was signed by him for Leicester City, speaks very highly of him and wouldn’t hear a bad word about him, and he is a tim as well, said he trained them hard but he loved every minute of it.

Is there not a story about DJ going awol in London for a couple of days,something along the lines that he hadn’t told anyone at the club where he was going or what he was doing,yet DJ is standing in a random boozer in London,he turns round and Big Jock of all people is standing behind him raging, he just says to DJ ‘lad you better get your ass up the road,or you’ll never play for Rangers again’ or something to that effect.
I remember hearing this story when I was younger I think,hope I never fucking dreamt it.

One of my neighbours was signed by him for Leicester City, speaks very highly of him and wouldn’t hear a bad word about him, and he is a tim as well, said he trained them hard but he loved every minute of it.

He worked with Alan Ball.
Both men adored each other.
Two characters who expounded the never say die spirit.

Is there not a story about DJ going awol in London for a couple of days,something along the lines that he hadn’t told anyone at the club where he was going or what he was doing,yet DJ is standing in a random boozer in London,he turns round and Big Jock of all people is standing behind him raging, he just says to DJ ‘lad you better get your ass up the road,or you’ll never play for Rangers again’ or something to that effect.
I remember hearing this story when I was younger I think,hope I never fucking dreamt it.
Yip.
Think it was the summer of 1972 and DJ didn't report back for pre season opting to hole up in Clapham with friends he'd met on holiday. Big Jock sorted it out.

Yip.
Think it was the summer of 1972 and DJ didn't report back for pre season opting to hole up in Clapham with friends he'd met on holiday. Big Jock sorted it out.
Just loved the fact that in a time without mobile phones,Big Jock still managed to find him in the heart of London lol

Was in DJ's book. How Jock managed to track him down in London I'll never know.

Way before my time, but I see my dad's heart nearly burst out his chest with pride every time he speaks about the man.

What I do know is he's the man who let my dad see his first Scottish Cup Final victory in the Centenary Final against them 73, ended the Stein dominance when he stopped their 10 in a row in 75 and then proceeded to win 2 Trebles in 3 seasons.

Seriously underrated I feel by a lot of younger bears.
And also by a lot of people in Scottish football at the time. The training at Gullane pre-season was treated as a joke by the press and our opponents at the time. Only until we ran over the top of the self same opponents. Jock Wallace’s sides in his first time at Ibrox also had a high level of skill which allied to our fitness levels made us a team difficult to beat.

Character and commitment is all he asked from you. Jock had such an affinity with your average supporter. He made you feel you were part of the team. A great servant of the rangers. One jock wallace.

Jock is always remembered for winning our first title for 11 years in 75 and the two trebles he won in 76 and 78. Fact is, when he arrived as coach under Willie Waddell in 1970 Rangers hadn't won anything for 4 years! I believe it was his appointment (thanks to Waddell) that won us the 71 League Cup and the 72 CWC. The Scottish Cup win in our Centenary year was vital, his first trophy as a manager. A true Rangers Great.

A true Rangers’ man and someone who is sorely missed.

His teams played far better football than they were ever given credit for.

How could a team with McLean,Russell, Cooper and Smith be considered anything other than a footballing side?

WATP

Big Jock . The double treble winner . Thank god he was one of us. THAT interview after the 84 league cup final was brilliant !

Told this story before my Dad was president of the wee Rangers club when Jock was the manager. The club would have visitors from all over the world who wanted to present their player of the year with a trophy. My Dad would phone Jock with something like the Toronto RSC want to present Sandy Jardine with their player of the year. How many players do you want? A couple will do cue 5 players turning up.
Also after winning the cup to make it the second treble he sent Derek Johnstone along Edmiston Drive with all 3 trophies to let the fans have a drink out of them.
Probably my favourite Rangers managet.

Back