Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

Picking up traction is the line he turned down a Rangers contract and that he will be leaving.

Record
Football Scotland
Talksport Yesterday (Alex crook)

It's untrue.
I find it hard believe the club wouldn’t offer him a new deal, at least to get rid of the £10m release clause?

interesting that the club release this info to the fan media then later in the day he is as good as away to Southampton

Trying to get one over the media which I can understand but the reality is the fans don’t care whether he has turned down a contract or is not signing a contract it both leads to the same outcome

interesting that the club release this info to the fan media then later in the day he is as good as away to Southampton

Trying to get one over the media which I can understand but the reality is the fans don’t care whether he has turned down a contract or is not signing a contract it both leads to the same outcome
The media and communications strategy is laughably bad.

A "total package" of £10M could be a lower fee but add-ons that take it up to that figure if he makes a certain number of appearances?

It’s what’s in the players contract.

A release clause of £10m up front is in his contract. Not, say, £5m up front and a bunch of add-ons making the total value up to £10m.

Big difference for us in terms of being able to reinvest some of the money in the squad. Not suggesting that’s what is actually happening here but there is a difference.

Yeah he scored but done nothing else that night (like a few others ) but my point still stands, been poor since the ACN.
He didn’t hit the heights from the first half of the season but he was by no means ‘poor’ for a guy who never got a rest.

Aribo will be a massive loss to us all over the park.

He didn’t hit the heights from the first half of the season but he was by no means ‘poor’ for a guy who never got a rest.

Aribo will be a massive loss to us all over the park.
Mate i agree that he can be fantastic but also infuriating at the same time. If he decides to stay then he gets my full support but if he feels he wants to move on then 10 million for a player who cost 400k is not too bad.

£10m for Joe Aribo should see the fraud squad phoned in because that is day light robbery.

We got him as raw potential for a steal. Looks like someones getting him as a fully developed top European footballer for a steal.

Good luck Joe. Thanks for 55 and the absolute pinnacle Ive felt as a Rangers fan for that brief period we were ahead in Seville

A release clause of £10m up front is in his contract. Not, say, £5m up front and a bunch of add-ons making the total value up to £10m.

Big difference for us in terms of being able to reinvest some of the money in the squad. Not suggesting that’s what is actually happening here but there is a difference.
Yep, exactly that.

£10m up front is the start and end point of these talks, would be huge for us in this window.

£5/6m with clauses is unacceptable.

Never really found a settled position in our team but good luck to him and did alright for us whilst he was here.

Not sure he will excel in premiership

10 million is not too shabby, not sure how i feel about Aribo, he can be brilliant but hasn't kicked a ball since the African nations cup.

He’s also done absolutely nothing against Celtic in 3 years now.

That’s being said £10 million is ridiculous. Should have been closer to £15/18

It’s what’s in the players contract.

Well in that case the clause should have been a lot more specific and in our favour. If the total package of bid is £10 million and that meets the clause, then that could be anything such as £5 million with the rest made up in performance related clauses which might never be triggered.

£10m is better than nothing I suppose, sad to see him go though.
Not sure we should be agreeing to release clauses in future contracts

I’d like to think that these release clauses are pretty specific, ie a minimum amount up front.

What do I know, that’s for greater minds than me!
The release clause will be an up front fee but we could potentially be offered a package deal worth more than £10 million but with less of the fee up front.

A "total package" of £10M could be a lower fee but add-ons that take it up to that figure if he makes a certain number of appearances?
Read to me more like we’re open to less money up front if it meant more in instalments but maybe not

I find it hard believe the club wouldn’t offer him a new deal, at least to get rid of the £10m release clause?
He probably told the club months ago that he has no intention of signing a new deal.
I love Aribo, he's brilliant for us.
But he'll be average at best in the premier league playing for Southampton.

Yet Southampton are paying £12m upfront (rising to £14m) for an 18 year old with 1 first team appearance to his name - Roméo Lavia, Manchester City.

Yet Southampton are paying £12m upfront (rising to £14m) for an 18 year old with 1 first team appearance to his name - Roméo Lavia, Manchester City.

Lavia has two years to run on his contract with City, and we don't know if he has a release clause. If Joe's is £10m then that's what we're going to get for him.

Back